PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust bolts

andydckent
23-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Hello,

I've got a new exhaust middle section on the way. I am a bit concerned about whether it will be possible to use existing bolts in case they are damaged rusty and seized.

Does anyone have experience of whether this is likely to be the case?

Does anyone know where I can get replacement bolts that will fit, and how many I need?

Thanks

Andy

andydckent
23-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Well camskills are now providing me with 3 bolts and 2 nuts which I hope are the correct ones. I should just tell my employer to pay my wages directly to them....

aboo
23-04-2012, 05:28 PM
If its your standard exhaust your replacing you'll more than likely have to cut the bolts of at the cat then bore out the holes again. The bolts usually seize solid. You'll have to take the cat off for that so you will need 4 bolts & nuts & don't forget new gaskets.

andydckent
23-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Thanks Andy.

Why can nothing be simple?

Just for the record I am only needing the centre bit between the cat and back box.

It looks from the diagram as if the cat has the bolt part built in between it and the centre pipe but I am not sure?

So far I have coming: centre pipe, gasket to cat, gasket to backbox, 2x nuts to cat and 3x bolts to backbox.

Does this sound right or am I going to need more?

Thanks

Andy

aboo
23-04-2012, 06:30 PM
Aye you have the right amount of bolts & gaskets if it comes of easy. But if you have to do what I said in my last post you will need another gasket for the cat going to the downpipes & 2 more bolts for the cat to downpipes.

peter thomson
23-04-2012, 10:03 PM
Have bolts and probably spare gaskets here Andy if you want this done when up

andydckent
23-04-2012, 11:34 PM
Thanks Peter!

Wasn't sure how easy it would be to do the exhaust at yours but if your happy and think we'll have time with the other things that will be a great help.

eyeballprawn
24-04-2012, 12:27 AM
I usually give exhaust bolts a good soak with WD40 a day or two beforehand, a couple of times if possible. I find they come out pretty easily after this.

peter thomson
24-04-2012, 08:27 AM
I usually give exhaust bolts a good soak with WD40 a day or two beforehand, a couple of times if possible. I find they come out pretty easily after this.

Wish it happened like that in the UK but with our weather and liberal use of salt in winter they are usually just a rusty mess

Jesus-Ninja
24-04-2012, 08:44 AM
IIRC the cat is threaded and takes a stud. I had to take a cutting wheel down the length of the stud and through the flange. This then left two halves of the stud which fell out and a slit in the flange. I then drilled the holes out and used M10 stainless nuts and bolts with spring washers. I think I got the nuts and bolts from screwfix, but TBH you can get them in lots of places cheap enough. I replace the nuts and bolts fairly regularly.