PDA

View Full Version : Cutting up CF bonnet

Colin Wiltshire
23-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Well I think the time has come to bite the bullet and look at cutting up my cf bonnet. The plan is to fit my aerocatch pins, but been putting it off due to the fact I'm really nervous about damaging my bonnet. Was thinking of taking to garage to do, but after looking on here and seeing that others have done it them selves, I think I can manage it.
As I have a dremmel type tool (cheap version). Anyone have any tips to help me along?

Mark 4
23-04-2012, 08:06 PM
Measure twice. cut once.

Nick Mann
23-04-2012, 08:15 PM
Only twice?!?

Goreden
23-04-2012, 08:19 PM
check, check, check again and again :thumbsup:

Wobble
23-04-2012, 08:32 PM
close ya eyes and hope .

Davezj
23-04-2012, 11:12 PM
you could always make a template first, then use that to cut round it.

John TheAntique
23-04-2012, 11:33 PM
you could always make a template first, then use that to cut round

I think aerocatch comes with a template, if not I've got one if you need it.

scott.mohekey
24-04-2012, 12:06 AM
Start off cutting the hole slightly too small, then enlarge it as needed. You can always take some more off, but its a lot harder to put some more back on.

Gly
24-04-2012, 01:33 AM
drill a hole for one side to locate the bolt/pin then cut the shape according to its placement..

after you cut one side, make a template that fits to the front and side edge of the bonnet,
then flip it for the other side, and it will be in the same place,

don't fart around with a small access hole on the underside skin of the bonnet for the nut/bolt holes,
just make it bigger from the start so you can get your fingers in there.

SteveH
24-04-2012, 10:55 AM
This is what you should do, swap your bonnet for my standard one....done/yes

Colin Wiltshire
24-04-2012, 08:27 PM
This is what you should do, swap your bonnet for my standard one....done/yes

I already had a facelift bonnet and swapped with the carbon 1, plus yours is silver, my car is black.

Colin Wiltshire
24-04-2012, 08:29 PM
I think aerocatch comes with a template, if not I've got one if you need it.

I bought them 2nd hand, the previous owner left them outside so was rather wet and soggy. has a card template that has seen better days, but think might be ok.

Jan4iks
24-04-2012, 08:29 PM
All, that need ...

52981 52980
52982 52983

Colin Wiltshire
24-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the replies, all depends on the weather.

John TheAntique
24-04-2012, 08:49 PM
I bought them 2nd hand, the previous owner left them outside so was rather wet and soggy. has a card template that has seen better days, but think might be ok.

I've got the template and operating and installation instructions that I could scan and email A4 copies to you. Pm me your email if you want them.

Jesus-Ninja
25-04-2012, 08:35 AM
I have fitted quite a few of these. Use two quality hole cutters of appropriate sizes for each end. As you know you have a template. IIRC the template is marked with the centres for the arcs at each end. Cover the area to be cut with masking tape and mark up on the tape. Pilot the centres before hole cutting. With the two holes cut, you can "join" them up with two straight lines. Use a mask if you're cutting glass or carbon fibre.

HTH! :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

kNuTz
26-04-2012, 01:43 AM
This is how I completed my install

Place the pins in the required position and put a bit of grease on the head of the pins.
Close the bonnet enough to get the grease to transfer to the underside of the bonnet.
Drill from the underside through to the top of the bonnet.

Once the hole has been drilled, use the templates provided and then outline with a pencil.
Take off the templates and then use the dremmel's flat cut-out tool to cut out the shape roughly.
When the main part is cut out, use the dremmel's rounded sandpaper tool to smooth out the edges.

Fit the catches in, then pencil the bolt holes and remove the catches.
Then drill through the top and bottom of the bonnet.
I used the dremmel underneath to fit my (think it was) 7mm socket for the nuts.

Once the above is done re-fit and bolt up :)

I can throw some pic's up after work if you want.

Colin Wiltshire
26-04-2012, 11:39 AM
This is how I completed my install

Place the pins in the required position and put a bit of grease on the head of the pins.
Close the bonnet enough to get the grease to transfer to the underside of the bonnet.
Drill from the underside through to the top of the bonnet.

Once the hole has been drilled, use the templates provided and then outline with a pencil.
Take off the templates and then use the dremmel's flat cut-out tool to cut out the shape roughly.
When the main part is cut out, use the dremmel's rounded sandpaper tool to smooth out the edges.

Fit the catches in, then pencil the bolt holes and remove the catches.
Then drill through the top and bottom of the bonnet.
I used the dremmel underneath to fit my (think it was) 7mm socket for the nuts.

Once the above is done re-fit and bolt up :)

I can throw some pic's up after work if you want.

That's the kind of attack I'm planning, more pics always welcome. Tend to look at many pics I can before I start something like this.

Colin Wiltshire
26-04-2012, 11:40 AM
I've got the template and operating and installation instructions that I could scan and email A4 copies to you. Pm me your email if you want them.

Thanks, but I think the template has just survived enough

Colin Wiltshire
05-05-2012, 08:07 PM
Well finally a dry weekend day, Think I spent most of the day on it, from about 10 til almost 18:00.
Because of the bumper I have, I had to take that off to get the headlights out, placed pins on cross member with bonnet almost closed, just resting on the pins as to mark where I would like/could have them.
Drilled holes for pins, then closed bonnet again to see if still in correct place, started to drill bonnet from underneath, starting with a very small drill bit, slowly getting larger (perhaps could of skipped a few drill bits, but being very nervous about doing this, I kept increasing bit by bit).
Before this I put masking take on the bonnet aprox where thing were coming through.
As pins were high through the bonnet, I attached the clamps with the card template around them, taped the card to the bonnet and took away the clamps.
Drew around the templates, took them off, then got my fake dremmel (crap) thing (but same time usefull). Bit the bullet and put cutting disc to bonnet, cut around the inside of the line, so the clamps wouldn't fit after I cut the hole.
Using a sanding tube thing for the fake dremmel, made the hole slightly bigger bit by bit, until they dropped in.
Then remembered about cutting up more of the underside so we can bolt it in. So cut away more of the underside, but it still wasn't enough as I found out when putting the nuts on, used the fake dremmel to make room.
Then got the height of the pins sorted and used the FD to cut the pins to lengh, needed to adjust pin angle very slightly, but it's all fitted now.

The fake dremmel was bought for me by my Dad from C.P.C , although useful, it has no torque so keeps stopping while cutting, a bit of a pain.

orionn2o
06-05-2012, 01:04 PM
Glad to hear its all fitted. its scary business isn't it.

This was how I did mine :

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?36399-whos-got-hood-pins&highlight=catch+template

Colin Wiltshire
07-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Glad to hear its all fitted. its scary business isn't it.[/url]

Thanks, yeah it is, When it's your 1st time doing it. the 1st hole/cut is the worst, had more confidence nearer the end.

aboo
07-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Glad to hear its all fitted. its scary business isn't it.

This was how I did mine :

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?36399-whos-got-hood-pins&highlight=catch+templatePity the bonnet doesn't look as good now as when it was fitted to your car:(

orionn2o
08-05-2012, 01:56 PM
I know Andy :(

Seibon really messed that one up. Shame because Gowfs one was good as gold! I thought you were going to spray yours??

aboo
08-05-2012, 04:57 PM
I know Andy :(

Seibon really messed that one up. Shame because Gowfs one was good as gold! I thought you were going to spray yours??Haven't got round to it but hoping to have it done by Japfest 2/yes

orionn2o
08-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Good man, get the whole car wrapped instead!!

aboo
08-05-2012, 05:15 PM
Good man, get the whole car wrapped instead!!I have thought about that as well/yes but not got a clue what design to go for.

orionn2o
08-05-2012, 05:39 PM
sounds like a promising new thread to open! " How should i wrap my car" ;)

aboo
08-05-2012, 05:55 PM
sounds like a promising new thread to open! " How should i wrap my car" ;)Do you not remember this (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?58129-Vinyl-wrapping-my-whole-car) thread Matt?

Sorry for the thread hijack but Matt made me do it:p

orionn2o
08-05-2012, 06:03 PM
Time to re launch!