PDA

View Full Version : Manual or Tiptronic

michaeli
17-12-2004, 11:18 AM
Right.....

I will buy a VR4 in January (should never of sold my last one :rolleyes5 ) I have budget approval from the House Director (wife)

Let's get votes on Manual or Auto now....

I need to consider, reliability (didn't Interlecs Autobox go funny? :lipsrseal ), speed of change, cost of ownership etc...

Then we can vote on Colour and we'll have the perfect VR4 :-b ;)

7-1 to the tipsters.... as of 5pm Friday....

adam_shaw
17-12-2004, 11:25 AM
So we already established (democratically) elsewhere that it has to be a Legnum :lipsrseal

As for me, my vote is with the Tip, just for ease of driving around normally.

Put it in D, something chilled on the stereo and just roll around the place. My first Galant was an auto, the sport was manual - it was one of the things that prompted the change to the legnum.

When you want to be a hooligan, push the stick over and have some fun. :-b

As for change times - I don't know, but I have the feeling the 'box can do better than I could with the manual. Meaning keeping the power coming and keeping the acceleration up.

To summarise;

Legnum, Tip (and I like Black)

A

Polabear
17-12-2004, 11:29 AM
I agree, Legnum and Tip, even tho I drive a manual, tips are faster changers.....and like HOT SNOT off a wet shovel from the getgo...you can't do that in a manul as I found out a little while ago..... :sad3:

colVR4
17-12-2004, 12:06 PM
Has to be black for me and I am a complete convert to the tip box. Having had to drive a manual again for the past few days in traffic, I know which I will be opting for in the future.

Kieran
17-12-2004, 12:17 PM
I've had an automatic GLS and my V6 Sport's a manual.

I only went for a manual V6 Sport because it's considerably faster than the tiptronic V6.

On the VR-4 however, there seems to be little difference - And having had the autobox I miss it like you wouldn't believe! :rolleyes5

Interlec's car suffers from the fairly common problem of the gearbox oil seal failing. BUT - it's been like that for a year now.... he just keeps two or three spare cans of ATF in the boot and it's not made a murmor!

ShadyNZer
17-12-2004, 01:10 PM
me personally i prefer the manual, started off wit a tip on my first VR4, was all right but now that ive got the manual, i aint goin back to auto....:-D

colVR4
17-12-2004, 01:25 PM
I use the car every day to commute and with the traffic in the UK I would regret getting a manual. If the VR4 was my second car that I took out when I wanted some fun it might be a different matter, but with the state of the roads and the volume of traffic in the UK I think the tip makes more sense.

jeff
17-12-2004, 02:02 PM
In the real world, it has to be Tip, it is the best of both worlds, especially with the InvecsII, if it wasn't intelligent, then maybe manual would have a better shout. Colour? Has to be something dark, looks more menacing, Trigger or Black.

Nick VR4
17-12-2004, 04:18 PM
Tiptronic .....Manuals are rare as Rocking horse $$$$ anyway

Colour Silver :-D

valmes
17-12-2004, 09:07 PM
Tiptronics are good all around, but I believe manuals have more of an excitement factor!
Now (after a year of training :) ), I can shift gears faster than tiptronic ;)!
"Rare" is also a good thing!

nick-f1
17-12-2004, 10:05 PM
My Legnum is a manual and imo you can change gear as fast as an auto, and they pull without any of the clutch slip thingy you get with the tip so if you can get one go for it. But if you do a lot of city driving or are just lethargic an auto is the one for you, both make for a gre-ee-aaaa-t drive tho'! :laugh: :-D

interlec on tour
17-12-2004, 10:36 PM
IMHO, all cars should be auto !! I only have 2 legs, so why should I have to mess around with 3 pedals ?? :rolleyes5 :$

I'm looking for a new van in the new year, & I can assure you it will be an auto ! :-b

Nick VR4
17-12-2004, 11:19 PM
Burning a Clutch Out could be expensive
Depending how you drive or take off at the lights etc ;)

Read on the MLR one guy replaced his clutch on his EVO took it to santa pod
after a few runs knackered clutch :sad3:

ritch_w
18-12-2004, 07:10 AM
go for a manual if you want to do track days etc etc, but for real world driving - has to be tip.

thats me on my second galant with tip box - me never having an auto before, being cynical person saying "i'll never get an auto" then test drove a v6 sport tip, and the rest is history!
:D

mk112
18-12-2004, 11:50 AM
Would choose manual as I did. Won't buy auto car ever.

venomboy
18-12-2004, 01:58 PM
I used to be manual only guy too, revving on the downshifts, powersliding the Alfa, but driving in town it was just a pain in the arse. Then I went to Japan and got converted press and go, With a big engine like the vr4 it just ain't neccessary to have a manual, so tip for me.
As for car Legnums are IMHO the best lookers and practical too, but as I have found out a bugger for parts and accessories are non existant, (unless we can find a jap site that someones wife could interpret for us?)

Big Ian
19-12-2004, 12:18 AM
:D nice post you started here,michaeli

as i'm going hunting soon for a VR4
for me so far,tip box look's like a winner?. ive never owned an auto but ive been reading and veiwin long enough to know that the tip box is a good reliable box (?seal's?) and with the power coming from the V6 and the bolted on turbo's......i dunno if i could let go of the wheel to change gear on a manual box :rolleyes5
an i'd ave 2 av SILVER! :D just to confuse folk :laugh:

KiwiTT
20-12-2004, 04:53 AM
I have heard that "manuals" are faster that the usual "autos", the INVECS - II is probably different. I also heard that to get the "manufacturer" 0-60 times, you have to do things with the gearbox, no owner would really do.

Better to be safe ... Let the car decide, unless you want to have fun sometimes and move the shift to the left.

Roadrunner
20-12-2004, 09:48 AM
I also heard that to get the "manufacturer" 0-60 times, you have to do things with the gearbox, no owner would really do.
The manufacturer's quoted 0-60 for the VR-4 is 6.9s which is pretty conservative, but I reckon you have to be fairly brutal with a manual to get it much below 6s with a standard car ... ;)

Nick Mann
20-12-2004, 10:57 AM
In V6 trim, the manual is faster than the auto/tip. I assume that there is no reason as to why the same is not true of the VR4. Auto is easy, reliable, and can be as much fun when selecting your own gears. But there is a little niggle in the back of my mind that is saying ultimately better results could be achieved with the manual.

My thoughts can be summarised:

Auto - ease of use, reliability of performance, less likely to cost big money to repair.

Manual - no slippage = more power to the wheels = more fun.

enigma
20-12-2004, 11:25 AM
Mo has converted to manual and is experiencing clutch slippage - less power to the wheels :lipsrseal

Polabear
20-12-2004, 11:54 AM
Mo has converted to manual and is experiencing clutch slippage - less power to the wheels :lipsrseal

I have also experienced this under (Enthusiastic driving conditions....) :lipsrseal : :sad3: :rolleyes5

Dan_G
20-12-2004, 02:17 PM
Those who have Tiptronic usually say Tiptronic is best.

Those who have Manual usually say Manual is best.

Having never driven a tiptronic one I cannot compare....

I can say this though... flooring it from 2500rpm in second gear in the manual has a great ear to ear grinning effect....

By the way

..... Manual is best :) hehe

Polabear
20-12-2004, 02:40 PM
I can say this though... flooring it from 2500rpm in second gear in the manual has a great ear to ear grinning effect....

It certainly has that all right...... :-D no wonder I keep losing bits.... :lipsrseal

enigma
20-12-2004, 02:48 PM
I would like to point out at this time that to date no one in the UK has come close to the 1/4 mile times set by the Auto box with a manual. This suggests that the Auto box in fact is superior. :D

Nick Mann
20-12-2004, 02:59 PM
I would like to point out at this time that to date no one in the UK has come close to the 1/4 mile times set by the Auto box with a manual. This suggests that the Auto box in fact is superior. :D

Is there a standard vs standard for the two?

No-one has excessively modified a manual and thrown it up the strip, AFAIK.

Kieran
20-12-2004, 03:37 PM
Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! :-D

Dan_G
20-12-2004, 03:51 PM
Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! :-D

LOL :laugh:

The fact that makes that really funny is the fact you're a moderator...

But anyway....

....Pull his hair! kick im kick im!..... stretch his conrods and punch im in the sparkplugs....... :lipsrseal .......

although maybe theres no need to blow a gasket (or torque converter seal) and we all need to be administered some lurvley Nitrous Oxide...... to make us all happy :laugh:

Polabear
20-12-2004, 05:40 PM
Is there a standard vs standard for the two?

No-one has excessively modified a manual and thrown it up the strip, AFAIK.

I will ......I Will..... :wavey: :wavey: when I get this boost problem kicked into touch....
:rolleyes5 :D

michaeli
20-12-2004, 07:51 PM
Ok...

So it looks like a Manual Vs Auto down the 1/4 mile!!!!!

WICKED!!!! :evil1: :evil2: :scared1:

One question though....

With the Tiptronic Box and a dump valve, do you still get the TSCHHHHHH when changing gears??

enigma
20-12-2004, 08:00 PM
With an Auto/Tip you will not get a Tsscchhhhh when changing gear, you will only get it when you let off the gas in a hurry :-b This is because with the Auto/Tip you keep your foot nailed to the floor........but then you should do that with a manual anyway ;)

nick-f1
20-12-2004, 09:50 PM

I take it Dave that your tongue was planted firmly in your cheek when you made this ludicrous statement :rolleyes5
I could point you to a thread ( if I knew how to) you posted soon after the purchase of your Legnum where you did some appalling times in standard form at The 'Pod that have been bettered by two of our 2wd v6 brethren :laugh:

HJM
20-12-2004, 10:37 PM
What is it with you Drag Strip Bitches :lipsrseal :argue: Always slagging off each others methods, style, equipment, etc.

Whereas us 'Trackday Gentleman' just get on with enjoying ourselves whether using manual, tip or auto :D

Ok I'll get me coat :gossip:

Heath

michaeli
21-12-2004, 08:07 AM
Ok....

If Dave goes against someones manual at the Pod AND LOSES then he has to.....
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
:p Keep his clothes ON!!!!! :lipsrseal :rolleyes5

enigma
21-12-2004, 10:06 AM
I take it Dave that your tongue was planted firmly in your cheek when you made this ludicrous statement :rolleyes5
I could point you to a thread ( if I knew how to) you posted soon after the purchase of your Legnum where you did some appalling times in standard form at The 'Pod that have been bettered by two of our 2wd v6 brethren :laugh:

Not entirely sure that your statement is accurate sir! :D

ako
25-12-2004, 08:00 AM

Can't help but going "ahem" to this :p

Okay.... I know its not UK figures at all, but to put it in perspective - a guy I know has an E84A VR4, auto, and was out on the strip for the umpteenth time. I was out there for my first ever run - and beat him by about a second. (15.6 to a 14.7, both cars dead stock).

Clutches dieing - I'm firmly of the opinion that driving kills clutches, excess power will only do it after a point. I made my stock clutch survive around 300hp and repeated 5000 rpm + launches for over a year before it gave up the ghost, and upgrading to a stronger one only cost me $450.

But that said, you don't live life "a 1/4 mile at a time :laugh: ". For around town driving, an auto can be a lot more comfortable.

If you're a lazy bastard!!

If your car is meant for comfort first, speed second, go for the auto. Its smoother, you dont have to think as much, and its a lot easier to dash into a gap in traffic or whatever. Your passengers will agree, its a lot more refined :D

If you're more interested in BIG power and 1/4 mile times, go for the manual. Even though the invecs-II is a very efficient gearbox (not much power lost compared to a manual), personally I'd feel incredibly uncomfortable subjecting it to full on drag launches. The main reason it'll chew through clutches is straightforward - face it, VR4's are whales :laugh: , and have only gained weight with years. You can't get around this, and will have to upgrade your clutch eventually. But remember, an upgraded clutch in no way means less driveablity - even a twin plate can be reasonably streetable if you head down that road. That said - if your after 1/4 mile times, why are you buying one of these when there's evos out there for the taking :rolleyes5

enigma
25-12-2004, 09:49 AM
I have clocked over 50 launches this year and have suffered no harmful effects :D Then there is the small matter of 450BHP! :p

The 1/4 mile thing is as much about the challenge as anything else. Sure I could go out and buy and EVO tomorrow and throw a couple of grand at it and I would make 10s..........too easy!

ako
29-12-2004, 08:28 AM
Just how were you launching the car? Foot on brake and accelerator, or drop it into "d" at 5 grand?

enigma
29-12-2004, 08:41 AM
Foot brake and hand brake and launch at 3000rpm. Dropping it in to D at 5000rpm is seriously not recommended!

ako
29-12-2004, 08:47 AM
Ahhh ok then, thats what I meant by a "full on" launch :laugh:

That said, things are a LOT different doing that in a manual. Makes your 1/4 time all the more impressive!

enigma
29-12-2004, 11:17 AM
There would be no point doing a 'full on' launch as you would have traction issues assuming the box didn't fall to bits first. With a 3k launch I have about 8psi boost already, I would let it creep to 4k if I could but the servo loses its vacuum the moment you start boosting and your braking effort goes down and you start to creep.