PDA

View Full Version : coilover adjuster threads

Davezj
28-04-2012, 05:14 PM
How do you keep the threads on on adjusterable coilovers clean?

what i mean is they get all cruded up with road dirt and the likes, then when you want to adjust the height the threads have to be cleaned, or risk grinding a locking up the adjuster nuts.

is there anything out there on the market that you can use to cover the threads so they don't get crudded up in the first place, eg a wrap anound cover, or a shroud that kind of hangs off the helper spring and danggles around the threads.

if there isn't anything on the market for this sort of thing then i have some ideas on how i can make something to do the job, just a neoprean/closed cell foam wrap for the threads, but i would have to make sure that the threads are packed with grease under the wrap to make sure water doesn't get in a corode them due to trapped water. or something like that.

jayp
28-04-2012, 05:28 PM
I usually wrap mine in self amalgamating tape, the sort of stuff that only sticks to its self

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

adaxo
28-04-2012, 05:28 PM
In D2 coilovers instructions say that you should wrap unused thread in normal electronics insulation tape

wintertidenz
28-04-2012, 11:53 PM
I would have thought some kind of grease or Vaseline on the threads would have been a good way to go - then a bit of degreaser and spare toothbrush over the threads when they need to be adjusted. Of course, we don't have salted roads over here in NZ so we don't end up with corrosion problems like you guys in the UK do.

You need to be careful that any covers you make will not come off and get caught in any moving parts - you would need to cable tie the material round the threads quite tightly.

Louis
29-04-2012, 12:31 AM
Lots. Of copper grease and wrap in electric tape .

swinks
29-04-2012, 06:38 AM
Thick copper grease does the trick for me.

psbarham
29-04-2012, 10:08 AM
copper grease and denso tape.

Davezj
29-04-2012, 11:12 AM
Thanks guys, I didn't think of putting tape over the grease, the tape will stick to itself but not to the grease, so it will form a water tight moulded shield around the threads,

At the moment I just packed the threads with grease when I fitted them originally, so the threads should be protected, but there is a lot dirt/crud on the outside of the grease.

So when I take the suspension off to fit my sound deadening gaskets, I will use a degreaser and toothbrush to clean the threads, then regrease the threads before making any adjustments to the ride height.

I only need to reduce the front height by about 20mm, to make it look right, and the rears by about 10mm, but I might as well do a full clean up as they are off the car at this point.

Thanks again for all you suggestion, most helpful as always.

Louis
29-04-2012, 12:23 PM
NOTE!.
Make sure you put lots of copper grease (not normal grease, it has different properties) in the threads down the sleeve of the lower part of the shock mount, the bit that adjusts the ride height.
Reason being, this has the greatest surface contact area of the threads. I won't get dirty as it is enclosed, BUT, it will seize up if not treated. The shock part of the coilover is steel, and the shock mount sleeve is alloy, they cause each other to corrode over time and will seize up.

Davezj
29-04-2012, 09:56 PM
cheers Louis i will do that.

i think i will take the spring off and do a proper job of it.

A dry evening job i think.