PDA

View Full Version : Studded or rivet on arches

tjeyaseelan
29-04-2012, 11:36 AM
Hey guys I just put new wheels on my car recently which had quite a deep dish even though they were only 18*7.5, but the spoke design fouls on the new brembo calipers that I have been trying to fit. So in the end I had to use 30mm Eibach pro hubcentric spacers, which were terribly expensive, but to get the wheels I wanted on with the evo8 brembo calipers at the front I had to do this. So I have 30mm spacers all around the car now, as it would have looked stupid with just the fronts. However - the front wheels stick outside of the facelift arches by about 15mm, therefore wanted to get STUDDED ARCHES, and was wondering what you guys thought about that.

The rears don't stick out, well they do out of the metal part of the arches, but as mine is FL, it has the extra plastic lip all the way around, therefore they don't stick out of those. The only reason the fronts stick out so much is because the car is naturally slightly wider at the back so this just about keeps the rear wheels in.

Thank you guys.

Nick Mann
29-04-2012, 11:53 AM
Have you got longer studs fitted for the spacers?

There must be a way to fit bigger arches, but I'm not sure I have seen one.

tjeyaseelan
29-04-2012, 11:58 AM
No not longer studs Nick, these were v expensive spacers which bolt onto the factory studs and then come with their own studs for the alloys and a humbcentric lip in the middle where the spigot ring can go on to fit the wheels, so a proper extension of the hub, but they were still very light weight which I was happy about. I spoke to a guy called Ben at Eurospec and he was dead against longer studs and all of that for spacers, he said only get the spacers which have their own studs coming out of the body for the alloys.

Nick Mann
29-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Cool. Ben knows his stuff, so I'd definitely go with what he said. I was just concerned that you might have only had a few threads holding the wheels on!

I think I have seen a legnum at one point that had a wide body kit, but I can't remember whose it was. It was a widebody thing rather than arch extensions though.

tjeyaseelan
29-04-2012, 12:08 PM
http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173502

I just googled this, but there are a few picture of what I want here, the studded arches will replace the facelift arches, bit will still blend in nicely to the rest of the vr4 kit, so will look a little bit more aggressive which is what I want, but still have that refined VR4NESS lol

Louis
29-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Is your car lowered?. If you lower the ride height, (you would need coil overs or lower stiffer springs), the wheels will come in slightly. At Standard ride height (a V long time ago!:)) on my Legnum, the alloys I had were on the limit of being outside the arch, but when I lowered the car (by about 50mm) the wheels position moved inwards, and also the camber tilted the top of the wheels inward also.
Just a thought, if you are going to lower the car it might be better lowering first before any drastic action, 15mm isn't huge, (but, yes it's big enought.
can you modify the wheel arch trims you have rather than modifying the arch?.

tjeyaseelan
29-04-2012, 01:43 PM
That is a very interesting point and no the car isn't lowered, but the rears are much closer to the bottom of the arch than the fronts, so I am not sure how coilovers would work as I will hardly be able to lower the rears me thinks, but if it cambers in enough to prevent changing the arch that would be great, and because of the spacers it is very close to the arch as well.

Nick Mann
29-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Louis is spot on. The suspension is double wishbone, so the wheels do move inboard as the wheel moves up into the arch. Get a load of your mates to sit in the boot and watch what happens!

Ghost_2008
29-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Something like these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-WIDE-ARCHES-EXTENSIONS-FENDER-FLARES-BODYKIT-BOLT-ON-/190662218509?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c645a930d

Davezj
29-04-2012, 08:37 PM
if the wheels just catch on the arches when it is lowered then you can roll the arches to give more clearance.

tjeyaseelan
29-04-2012, 10:44 PM
Yes I saw these about two hours ago on my phone, what do you guys think? I really like them, think I might even leave them black, I really want to make it look aggressive. When I fit them, should I cut a bit of my metal arch away so that there is more room for the wheels when I lower it? I want to have these arches and lower it on coilovers.

Pugme
29-04-2012, 11:57 PM
i have 28mm spacers on mine to bring the wheels right out, id say my fronts sit maybe 20mm or so out from the arch, what offset are you running on the wheels? and if your on standard ride height and you will have plenty of room to lower the car, what tyres are you running? would you be opposed to running stretched tyres?

tjeyaseelan
30-04-2012, 08:47 AM
No I definitely do not want stretched tyres Pugme, but if your wheels stick out at the front by 20mm, that is pretty illegal, don't you get hassled by the police for that? As for offset, I think my offset is rubbish, but I can't remember what offset they are, something between 32-37 I am quite sure.

tjeyaseelan
30-04-2012, 08:48 AM
but what do you guys think of those arches that Ghost 2008 put up?

SteveH
30-04-2012, 09:19 AM
I don't think i've seen a VR4 with those arches, to be honest i would love to see what they look like on a Legnum. Maybe someone could photoshop something up?

Pugme
30-04-2012, 09:41 AM
nah its only illegal if the tread pretrudes from the cars arched :-)

well with a 30mm spacer ur running a very low offset on a skinny wheel.

imo id buy a set of wheels that fit as with such a wide stance and no girth it must look a little perculiar from behind

Davezj
30-04-2012, 11:05 PM
but what do you guys think of those arches that Ghost 2008 put up?

i have always like the wide arch look, and as long as the wheels fit the arches correctly then it would look nice,

i have been watching some of the legneds touring car racing with morbidelli and fittipaldi and the audi RS5, masarati, bmw ,and the likes it is some great racing and the cars are fantastic looking most have the wide arch kits on.

Pugme
30-04-2012, 11:29 PM
can u post some pics please bud?

if your wheels are et35 on a30 mm spacer your running et5!! im on et20 on an 8J so your 10 mm furhter out than me! lol

also you say these hubcentrics were very expensive, i had mine custom made for 220, how much were eibach ones?

Ghost_2008
01-05-2012, 07:41 PM
I have toyed with the same idea, I run A-Tech Monoblock Wheels 17 x 7's not sure of the offset but they sit very slightly outside the arch on standard shocks...... I would have to bring them out a lot in order to fill the additional arch...... in short I simply thought why change it......

But I am sure with the right wheels it would look awesome..... I wouldnt cut the arch, I wouldnt feel too comfortable with a sharp edge above a tyre, hit a pot hole and slashy slashy tyre.........

Confused
02-05-2012, 06:33 PM
Mine's got wide wheels (8" on front, 9" on back), and some stick-on arches, something like this (www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120741562406), actually...

53125 53127

The previous owner has cut away some of the metalwork of the rear arches underneath these extensions, I'm not entirely sure whether it was needed or not... but it does mean I couldn't ever really remove these wheels, as there'd then be big gaps in the bodywork!

tjeyaseelan
03-05-2012, 07:41 PM

Just trying out this pciture to see if it uploads properly

tjeyaseelan
03-05-2012, 07:47 PM
53143531445314553146531475314853149531505315153152 5315353154

tjeyaseelan
03-05-2012, 08:01 PM
53156531575315853159531605316153162531635316453165 53166

tjeyaseelan
03-05-2012, 08:05 PM
Right guys above are the pics I took about an hour ago or something.

tjeyaseelan
03-05-2012, 08:26 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-WIDE-ARCHES-EXTENSIONS-FENDER-FLARES-BODYKIT-BOLT-ON-/190673758823?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DDLSL%252BSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%26itu %3DUCI%252BUA%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D190662218509%252 B190662218509%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D81611897 66826680793

Right guys the link above shows the arches I want to put on the car and soon after that I want a carbon fibre bonnet and make it look absolutely ruthless, the front brembos are on, the rears not, because I need a pair of discs. I want those arches so that I can lower the car heavily on coilovers, but please note I will rivet those arches to the car, but only after a lot of the metal arch has been cut away so that there is serious clearance under the arch to slam the car to the floor, and those arches wont stick out as much as you guys may think. I am going to try and move them as far up the metal arch as possible if you get my meaning so they wont stick out massively so that the wheels will be tucked away nicely, but still look right with the arches.

I hope everyone gets what I want to do, basically the special vr4 standard arches will go.

tjeyaseelan
03-05-2012, 08:28 PM
I just looked at the rear door and can see that it is incredibly cllose to the rear arch but I will make sure those ebay arches will look good when fitted so I don't plan to spoil the car only enhance it, but I want to have something very different, but still billions of miles away from CHAV land

tjeyaseelan
03-05-2012, 08:31 PM
ALSO sorry for all these multiple posts, but my brain is exploding - I want to leave the ebay arches black, what do you guys think about that? I thought it might look good with the carbon fibre bonnet?!!

tjeyaseelan
03-05-2012, 08:34 PM
I know what someone is going to say which is that the rears don't even stick out, but if you see what is underneath the vr4 plastic arches you will see that the rear wheels do stick out a hell of a lot from the actual metal arch, I hope I haven't confused anyone so the ebay arches will look good not out of place me thinks.

MarkSanne
03-05-2012, 10:47 PM
I think you've made it clear what you're willing to achieve. I'm interested to see how it will turn out... It's quite a step cutting up the arches to make these widebody arches fit!

Nick Mann
04-05-2012, 08:11 AM
The main area for rubbing is just behind the highest point of the arch. Say between 10 and 11 o'clock on the drivers side. Facelifts with the plastic arch extensions actually have less metal arch there which I assume is why there are less rubbing issues with a facelift type s. I'd still suggest getting a bunch of mates to sit on the back seat and in the boot so you can see how the suspension travel works. Either way, good luck. I always enjoy seeing how other people develop their cars. :D

tjeyaseelan
04-05-2012, 08:50 AM
ARCHES ARE 70MM WIDE
630MM FROM CORNER TO CORNER AT BOTTOM POINTS INSIDE
275MM FROM FLOOR TO INSIDE ARCH

Guys above are the specs for the arches, without me measuring myself, does anyone know if they will be ENOUGH lol

tjeyaseelan
04-05-2012, 09:04 AM
In all honesty, they aren't really like humungous wide arches guys, they will enhance the car, but will only buy these on the 10th, (next payday). Nick as you said because the fl VR4 has less metal arch anyway, I will literally only be cutting a fraction of the metal arch away if that and then giving it the appropriate rust protection it requires. I may even go wider with the wheels I end up putting on, but it depends on how it looks with the arches first. These wheels I put on the car are brand new, but my friend has a set of Racing Hert CXs and they are 18*9.5 and 18*10.5, so..... don't know ahahaha.

SteveH
04-05-2012, 09:24 AM
Looky what i found, hope this helps.

tjeyaseelan
05-05-2012, 09:43 AM
lolz I don't know about the rest of that car, but yeah I like the arches, my car will look a billion times better, because I will only have the arches, but will make them tie into the rest of the vr4 kit along with the CF bonnet.

tjeyaseelan
05-05-2012, 09:51 AM
BTW Pugme - they were 30mm Eibach Pro Hubcentric spacers - 280 including next day delivery and I only have a mil or 2 mil clearance from the caliper.

Colin Wiltshire
05-05-2012, 08:32 PM
Seen this? http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/5241788/mitsubishi+galant+vr4+1999+reprice+350k

tjeyaseelan
05-05-2012, 11:18 PM
Colin I am not really going for full on wide arches like that, I am literally going to buy those ebay arches and rivet them to the car, but obviously they may need some neatly done modification to sit flush at the join. so you will still be able to see the join and stuff. I am going for that aggressive and driven often rally kind of look, not unused show car look. I suppose with the right wheels that other car would look quite good.

aboo
06-05-2012, 12:58 AM
Imo the arches are not going to work on your car cause the wheels will not fill them out going by your pics. As said before lowering the car will sort it out. There is nothing worse in my eyes than a car with a nice set of alloys & it looks like it is sitting on stilts.

Even a set of lowering springs on the standard shocks will make a huge difference/yes

Louis
06-05-2012, 09:10 AM
I agree with Aboo, lowering the car till the wheels are 2cm from the arch will bring the wheels right in.
You then set your coil overs so the pre load on the spring makes them stiffer, and set the ride height so you have the 2cm clearance, so no movement. if you fit 3 inch wide arches you will need to buy new wheels to fill them out!, or you will need to fit them so high up the bodywork they will be at the top of the wing and you will nevr fill the gap unless you go for 20inch rims!!. Or you will have to trim loads off the 3inch arches to get them to fit, kind of defeating the purpose.

Main thing to remember.
I and others have lowered their cars using the right type of wheel with the correct offset to clear the brembos and fit in the arch. The thing that stops them going lower is the under body clearance! Not the tyres on arches!, the exhaust and front to rear rollstop carrier (subframe bit) and oil filter, or the front bumper will pretty much hit the ground first. I bet everyone on here with a lowered car has a scuffed flexi and front bumper, and multi storey car parks are definitely to be avoided.
Im not trying to put you off doing it, i love the look of the red one posted above and the JUN cars look like they only needed to cover a little more of the tyres and it looks good, (bear in mind the JUN cars are track cars, not used on everyday roads).
If you do it right it will look great, but you may have to cut metal from the arches when you fit the plastic ones or keep the same ride height due to your wheel choice.
Dont go to all this effort to try and make everything on the car suit the offset of the wheels you have (spacers etc), it will cost you a lot of time and money.
You might have been cheaper selling your wheels n tyres and getting some cash for them, together with the money you would have saved Not buying spacers, would have got you a set of wheels n tyres with the correct offset to clear the brembos!. At the moment you are spending a lot to make the car fit those wheels!.
Again, im not trying to put you off, just giving you options to consider. :)

(if i had listened to everybody, i would not have done lots of things lol!)

tjeyaseelan
06-05-2012, 10:11 AM
I totally understand what you are saying Louis and Aboo and everyone else here and tbh I don't want to take the factory FL arches off because they are uber sweet, so although now I have spent money on the spacers and stuff, I still feel I should be getting some proper evo fitment alloys and just sell my old wheels :( although they are nice, like realy nice in real life, compared to pictures.

Anyone want to buy these alloys and give me a nice set of EVO fitment alloys that would cover the brembos? like a PX or something - they are brand spanking new, with not a markmon them so I want the evo alloys to be spanking - and I will put the spacers up on ebay or something?

Life is for making mistakes and learning from them.

tjeyaseelan
06-05-2012, 10:12 AM
The reason I ended up with the wrong alloys is because I bought the, before I put the brembos on

tjeyaseelan
06-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Right guys I have put a WTB thread up and am in the search for a nice set of EVO alloys now in PX for my new wheels, I want them to me a proper nice set of wheels, because these new wheels I have now are sweet, (if you don't have Brembos or you want to buy them with the spacers which I have.)

tjeyaseelan
06-05-2012, 10:41 AM
I hate you Louis, Aboo, Nick and everyonelse in this thread lol, but you guys are right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(