PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Belt

Polabear
20-12-2004, 10:43 AM
Has anybody ever determined why power steering belts keep jumping two grooves across on the pump pully on the vr4's...? I know there was a topic on this before but no one ever identified the problem IIRC, I'm getting pretty hacked off with this happening now 3 times and 2 belts in 8 months.

Have looked at everything down there and it all looks kosher, but what I have noticed is that this always seems to happen after a bit of (enthusiastic.... ) driving :lipsrseal :rolleyes5 anyone got any ideas...... :thinking: :headsc:

enigma
20-12-2004, 10:47 AM
The crank pulley is rubber mounted to the crank and mine had perished to the point of introducing 'wobble'. This will almost certainly be the cause of your problem. £200 to your friendly dealer and they will supply you with a new one.

Polabear
20-12-2004, 11:38 AM
The crank pulley is rubber mounted to the crank and mine had perished to the point of introducing 'wobble'. This will almost certainly be the cause of your problem. £200 to your friendly dealer and they will supply you with a new one.

As always Dave you are a Star.. thanks a heap mate, it was starting to do my head in...Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and Helen.....not forgetting mini Dave too...
;)

Physician
20-12-2004, 04:37 PM

Very interesting ...... thanks also.

Big Ian
22-12-2004, 01:03 AM
this part is also knowin for going on 4cyl model's too (i should know! :sad3: )
it's also got plenty of complaint's on a mitsy complaint's web page
there was a link somewhere for this site?

Physician
20-01-2005, 10:00 AM
Just an update ......... mine jumped again yesterday.

My garage checked carefully and felt play in the tensioner but as far as he could tell there was no fault with the crank pulley.

We decided to fit a new tensioner initially and if it jumps again in the future he will fit a new crank pulley - this would seem to be the best solution cost-wise.

Mitsubishi Tensioner MD 366344 @ £74.53 plus VAT

Mitsubishi Crank Pulley MD 316782 @ £121.26 plus VAT

(Above for 1998 VR4 - EC5A)

Polabear
20-01-2005, 06:04 PM
Just an update ......... mine jumped again yesterday.

My garage checked carefully and felt play in the tensioner but as far as he could tell there was no fault with the crank pulley.

We decided to fit a new tensioner initially and if it jumps again in the future he will fit a new crank pulley - this would seem to be the best solution cost-wise.

Mitsubishi Tensioner MD 366344 @ £74.53 plus VAT

Mitsubishi Crank Pulley MD 316782 @ £121.26 plus VAT

(Above for 1998 VR4 - EC5A)

Richard, did he check the endfloat on the power steering pump pully..? I found mine had rather suddenly increased to about 2-3mm of slack, hence when I hoofed it it was wobbling all over the place and chucking its belt, have also since been informed that tension on this belt should be setup correctly and not just by feel, too tight and it shafts the power steering pump..(literally) I am now beginning to wonder about the original fitment of my belt at service.....wonder :rolleyes5 ....in my NZ/JPNZ handbook there is a GIVEN deflection figure for this belt .

Physician
21-01-2005, 05:21 AM
Hi Pola,

Thanks for that extra info. Mine is actually jumping a groove on the CRANK pulley and not the pump pulley. (Although a pump pulley fault could also affect the crank pulley I guess.)

Having said that, he is going to check all the pulleys for alignment and play when fitting the new tensioner.

Thanks again ......

Rich

dickytim
21-01-2005, 05:41 AM
according to Aeroquip, the manufaturer of the powersteering pump 2-3mm of end float on the powersteering pump is normal/within alowable limits.

koala
30-05-2005, 11:51 PM
If I may I llike to add.

My timing belt was replaced around 3k miles ago on my Galant 2.0 gls which is for sale now. And last week PS belt jumped out from the pulleys after quick look tensioner had a big play on it and my mechanic checked the crank pulley as well. Crank pulley joined with rubber mounts and it was worn out. Because it was worn when wobbling it started to take little chunks from the timing belt. I was lucky and got the hole lot replaced so new timing belt pulley and the tensioner and the ps ac belt.

Last weekend I ve collected my VR4 (Just beauty) and idler tensioner got the same play, its just worn out. Gonna get the crank pulley checked as well. I guess I ll end up replacing the timing belt just incase...

Are these engines timing belt failure safe by any chance?

Kind regards

BraindG
31-05-2005, 12:22 AM
If I may I llike to add.

Are these engines timing belt failure safe by any chance?

Quick answer: no

if they go, so do all the nice little metal bits :( costly costly :greedy: /yes

Jesus-Ninja
17-10-2009, 05:57 PM
Holt thread revival, batman! :D

Well, I searched and it brought me here, so rather than star a new thread, it seemed sensible to extend this one :)

Point1 - I have some end float on my PAS pulley, but only end float, no angular play - ie it simnply has some movement up and down the axis of rotation and can't be made to "wobble" on the shaft. I have no more than a mm of end float, although it's has to get in there with calipers. Judging from the comments below about 2 to 3mm of endplay being acceptable, I'm assuming that I shouldn't worry about this, but would appreciate someone giving me some assurance and a nice warm fuzzy feeling! :thumbsup:

Point2 - There is some end float and significant angular play of nearly a 1mm range measured from the outer edge of the tensioner pulley (I have this in a vice gripped by the bearing. I'm not so sure about this, as angular misalignment will cause the belt to run out. I've ordered a new one from mitsubishi.

Point3 - The crank pulley does not appear to have any play in it, but I'm guessing that this would not be evident until I get a ring spanner on the alternator belt and slacken off the tension.

Did anyone ever get to the general root cause? Was it tensioners failing, or crank pulleys?

Thanks as ever! :)

miller
17-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Jesus, (love starting sentences with that!) had yours any squeal in them at all?

Jesus-Ninja
17-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Jesus, (love starting sentences with that!) had yours any squeal in them at all?

You can call me Nick :)

Yeah, on start up. Quick blip of the throttle and it went. The PAS belt has of course given up the ghost now, but I did notice that there was still some squeal from the alternator belt alone.

Does this mean my car's going to blow up and I'm going to die?! :D

miller
17-10-2009, 06:30 PM
ha ha ha yeah i replaced both belts recently and still get slight squeal on start up! interesting read on the this thread.

AlanDITD
17-10-2009, 06:32 PM
You can call me Nick :)

Yeah, on start up. Quick blip of the throttle and it went. The PAS belt has of course given up the ghost now, but I did notice that there was still some squeal from the alternator belt alone.

Does this mean my car's going to blow up and I'm going to die?! :D

If you put amsoil in, im sure it will be fine. May even fix your PS belt to.

swinks
17-10-2009, 07:10 PM
IMine squels gone with replacing both tensioners (Alt and PAS) for a new one. Both old had been knackered.

Ryan
17-10-2009, 09:48 PM
IMine squels gone with replacing both tensioners (Alt and PAS) for a new one. Both old had been knackered.

I completely agree. Both of mine were cracked and if it had been moist outside whenever I'd start the car one would hear a "tsweee tsweee tsweee tswee" type noise.

Changed both the belts on Friday and no more noise! :)

Jesus-Ninja
18-10-2009, 11:51 AM
If you put amsoil in, im sure it will be fine. May even fix your PS belt to.

Ha! :p

Jesus-Ninja
18-10-2009, 11:54 AM
I've made up a useful tool for takeing the alternator belt tensioner off. Quite simple really, but effective. It's about 600mm of flat bar with 14mm socket cut to half length welded on the end. Simple but effective. Clears everything, plenty of leverage, longer than a typical offset ring spanner and no crawling underneath or skinning knuckles.

Available for loan in the South East. :thumbsup:

Jesus-Ninja
19-10-2009, 08:26 AM
Well, my crank pulley appears to be as solid as a rock. There was some play in the alternator belt tensioner, but then I've not had any issues with the alternator belt, so I will probably leave that alone for now and see how it goes.

I've also attached pics of the spanner I knocked up. Very simple and nothing exciting, but it made the job an absolute breeze on the alternator belt.

Jesus-Ninja
20-10-2009, 09:39 PM
Well, my pulley is here having been collected from Mitsi today (Thanks Mrs Ninja! :D ). Looks nice and new. Here's hoping it fixes my problems :)