PDA

View Full Version : 4 way switch.

Nick Mann
09-05-2012, 09:48 PM
I have got a PLX multi gauge. The display is operated by a four way switch - up, down, left right. The switch is and has always been crap. I thought I'd take it apart and solve the issue and also mount it in a better way. Well, I mounted it a better way, but the switch is still crap.

The switch is a simple thing from an electronics point of view - 5 wires, one being common and the other four being unique to it's particular direction. What I want to find is a switch that will replace the crap one. I kept a wing mirror adjustment switch to the side, thinking that would do it, but it won't without major modification - the switch is simply designed to send the opposite voltage if opposite directions are pressed, so left and right have common connections but the switch links them differently to flip the voltage at the mirror. I have tried looking at RS and Maplins but I can't find what I am looking for. Is that because I don't know the right terminology or does no-one sell a simple four direction push to make switch? At this rate I will have to buy four push switches and mount them all seperately.....

Can anyone point me towards a suitable switch? Thanks!

Kenneth
09-05-2012, 10:45 PM
google: 4 way tactile switch

should get you started down the right track.

Davezj
09-05-2012, 11:48 PM
what you want is an old style digital joystick like the quickshot II it was a simple 4 micro switch, left, right, forward, back.
but that is probably a bit big to mount on you dash. LOL!
but it would give it a bit of a reto look.

Atik
10-05-2012, 01:31 AM
You are looking for a micro-switch like Dave suggests. I think the tactile switch is the same (just a different term).

foxdie
10-05-2012, 09:21 AM
Something I've often looked into for Smokescreen. Nick, this is the only pre-built switch I can recommend for your use-case;

http://uk.farnell.com/mec/9509136118/switch-module-black/dp/1390595

Although you won't have much use for the "OK" button in the centre, at least you'll have an easily-mountable navigation switch :)

wintertidenz
11-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Why not just mount four momentary switches in the right configuration and they all have a common wire?

exevoowner
11-05-2012, 01:22 PM
RS do something like that

Nick Mann
11-05-2012, 01:25 PM
RS do something like that

Where?!?!?

Nick Mann
11-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Why not just mount four momentary switches in the right configuration and they all have a common wire?

I did say that was the backup plan in my first post. Probably not in the right technical terms though! :D I'd just prefer something that looked a bit more professional. Jasons link is my favourite one at the moment, but seems expensive for what it is, plus has a button that would be redundant. There are four direction switches on every playstation controller made for the last decade or so, plus goodness knows how many other things. It seems suprising to me that I can't find something that fits the bill.

exevoowner
11-05-2012, 01:43 PM
here the first one but they do it other colours
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/tactile-switches/6931307/

Nick Mann
11-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Why is this one half the price of some of the others?

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/tactile-switches/4952141/

exevoowner
11-05-2012, 02:52 PM
I'd say its down to material use as does't say it illumitated or anythin special

wintertidenz
11-05-2012, 11:44 PM
Ideally you don't want surface mount - it's a lot harder to solder (unless you know someone that can do SMD soldering!)

With the current switch you have pulled off - how is it set up? Separate contacts for each direction, or a 4-way switch? You could just use four separate switches behind the pad like these: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/tactile-switches/3786729/

In regards to the other switches, you might want to have it illuminated at night - will make things easier.

Davezj
12-05-2012, 12:50 AM
if you look at the rs and farnell switch datasheets that have been linked to in the thread they are the same part. but different prices.

however you can see from the data sheet that these switches are actually made up from 5 individual part that have to be mounted separately on to a PCB, they have no other way of mounting them. basically you solder the switches to a PCB then mounting holes in the PCB to screw the PCB to the back of the panel you want to mont the switches on.
i design PCB for my job. so i know you can get a bespoke pcb designed to mount the swithes on, but you would be looking at about £80 tooling and about £5 per board on a panel and you would probably get 50 ish pcb per panel. so it would not be cheap but it would be dooable. from my point of view i would do this for free, and it would only be the actual pcb fabrication cost that the money.

i could design the PCB for you and get it ordered through one of our board manufactures that we use at work. it would be a quality product but as i say not cheap if you only need one. there are other online companies that will make you sigle boards but they would probably be £15 each.

this is probably not something you would consider doing for this particular application, but if you want anything like this in the future for another project, i can scematic and pacb design, and i can do 3D cad designs that can be exported to file formats that are industry standard that any machine shop would be able it import and run to produce the parts you want.

just thought i would let you know.

wintertidenz
12-05-2012, 01:43 AM
How about just replacing the switches on the current PCB instead? It could be just the contacts inside the switches are getting worn out... it'll be a LOT cheaper than just getting a new complete PCB and external switch made up.

Nick Mann
12-05-2012, 08:41 AM
The standard switch is four individual contacts but they are like a cheap calculator or similar. There is a rubber membrane that is designed to flex with individual button presses, the membrane has what looks like a carbon disc on the back of each button that contacts two interlocking "squiggles" on the PCB behind. The down button has been dodgy from word go and is only getting worse.
Dave interesting info, but not something I would need at the moment. It might be interesting for Jason though.

Davezj
12-05-2012, 09:32 AM
The standard switch is four individual contacts but they are like a cheap calculator or similar. There is a rubber membrane that is designed to flex with individual button presses, the membrane has what looks like a carbon disc on the back of each button that contacts two interlocking "squiggles" on the PCB behind. The down button has been dodgy from word go and is only getting worse.
Dave interesting info, but not something I would need at the moment. It might be interesting for Jason though.

nick do you have any pictures of what you are trying to replace and it would make it a bit easier to come up with a solution

if you want to fit this 4 way switch in a separate location to the original it should be possible to solder to the pads on the PCB that the rubberised buttons shorted out when buttons are pressed.

i will have a look for a 4 button key pad.

Nick Mann
12-05-2012, 06:35 PM
The picture shows a similar unit to mine, although mine isn't odb2. The switch is what you can see in that picture. I took it apart and now just have the centre circle mounted in the dash, just to the left of the steering wheel.

wintertidenz
12-05-2012, 11:53 PM
Try cleaning the contacts with rubbing alcohol or screen wipes, then reassemble - you could also try heated window circuit repair pen on the carbon dots to see if that helps with contact.

Nick Mann
13-05-2012, 09:56 AM
I've tried cleaning the contacts. The heated window circuit repair pen is a new idea though! :D

richy rich
13-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Try hitting it with a hammer./hammer:whistle:

ianb
15-05-2012, 01:39 AM
"Rubber membrane switch repair" kits are available, mainly sourced from USA, CPC farnell used to do one, not sure if they still do, try google. Info on product pdf http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/984836-kit-rubber-keypad-repair-8339.html
good luck.