PDA

View Full Version : stereo removal

gazmk2
11-05-2012, 08:04 AM
Hi guys,

I want to remove the mid '90's headunit and crazy TV multimedia system to fit my pioneer touchscreen headunit. I tried a search for how to remove the surround but I suck at searching!! All I managed to find was threads with "stereo" "surround" or "removal" wittennham somewhere in the text!

Could somebody let me know what terms I need to search for as I know it gets tedious having to repeat things when there are already threads about! Failing that could someone just give me a link to a suitable thread?

Cheers

Gary

SteveH
11-05-2012, 08:12 AM
A little gentle brute force gets it off, Remove gear surround first mind. Its been a while since i took mine off though.

On second thoughts someone may have a better idea of taking it off with MMCS installed, mine didn't have it so may be a different technique.

Nick Mann
11-05-2012, 08:21 AM
Sounds good, Stephen. I haven't actually done it witha car with MMCS, but I'd imagine it is the same. Pop the gear lever surround up and the back, one the three tabs have release move it backwards to release from the stereo surround. Then the surround pops forwards, using the ashtray hole can help, as can opening the glove box and reaching round to push from behind.

Nick Mann
11-05-2012, 08:22 AM
For full members, here is Kierans guide in the members articles section:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?3293

gazmk2
11-05-2012, 08:26 AM
Is "MMCS" the name for that flip out screen system I have installed? Cheers for the info guys!

exevoowner
11-05-2012, 08:30 AM
does it look factory fitted ?

gazmk2
12-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Yes it does. Its a Mitsubishi branded item with a complex looking remote with Japanese writing, and a credit card remote in English. The system does respond to the English remote but I can't get it to tune a picture or play a DVD (maybe its pre-dvd?).

It'll be coming out anyway as I want to fit my pioneer headunit.

Nick Mann
12-05-2012, 06:49 PM
If it is Mitsubishi branded and has a remote control, I'd imagine it is retro fitted or was a dealer option. I've never seen a standard option head unit with a remote control.

gazmk2
12-05-2012, 06:51 PM
The unit is a single din with a fold out screen in the front (has its own speaker and not connected o the cars audio) and a disc player in the boot. It also has a single din Sony CD headunit that does nothing but make the speakers vibrate!

exevoowner
12-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Lol sounds like someone fitted it after market remove the gearshift surround and pull the centre consol at the bottom mind your fingers tho as you'll have no skin left /woot

TAR
12-05-2012, 07:39 PM
MMCS is the factory fit double din combined stereo, sat nav and climate control. From the way you describe it, yours is aftermarket.

:happy:

swinks
12-05-2012, 10:03 PM
There was single din size sat-nav unit (flipped out screen) fitted by Mitsi as option to EUDM Galants n/a, it worked as a combo with factory single din stereo unit.

gazmk2
13-05-2012, 08:53 AM
That pretty much describes what I have. I'll grab a pic of it later on. Is it worth selling on do you think?