PDA

View Full Version : Flashing 'N'

Roadrunner
12-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Bear with me. This is not the usual 'flashing N' issue, at least I don't believe it is.

Ran my car on Thursday, late home after a 50-mile drive, no issues at all, car running well.

On Friday evening, got in the car to go to collect a takeaway meal. Put car into reverse, didn't get the usual 'shunt' as drive is engaged. Revs rose, car eventually decided to move. Put it into 'D', same thing. Took a few seconds to move. Drove OK for the mile or so to the takeaway, but same symptoms whilst parking, same again when leaving and same again when I got home. 'N' light flashing regularly at one-second intervals.

This morning, my son tried to move the car but got the same symptoms so left it and took my wife's car instead. I reckoned, as you would, that the car had lost its ATF but there are no leaks under the car. Started the car, ran the stick through the gears (and it appeared to engage drive in both 'R' and 'D') dipped the ATF and it's beautifully pink and spot on the mark. Confused now, took the car for a run and it's running faultlessly.

So, what happened, and is it likely to happen again? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance :)

Nick Mann
12-05-2012, 09:42 PM
The slow gear engagement is normally indicative of low fluid. And the flashing N is normally indicative of overheated fluid. I'd suggest a bad connection on the solenoid plug? It might be good to short pins 1 & 4 to see what the stored codes are.