PDA

View Full Version : transmission issues

FullySickVR4
13-05-2012, 06:40 AM
I recently bought a 1996 legnum vr4 and after a week of driving in just seemed to disengage from the trans and was like i just had it in neutral, any suggestions on what the problem could be?

Gly
13-05-2012, 07:41 AM
torque converter is stuffed,

Roadrunner
13-05-2012, 08:47 AM
Assuming the ATF is good and at the correct level, if the problem started suddenly, it may be the gearbox solenoid? I experienced a similar problem the other day and, with thanks to Nick Mann for his advice, he suggested that may be the problem. If you short out pins 1 and 4 on the diagnostics plug, it should display any stored error codes through a flashing light on the dash. If you get a code, search on the site for what the codes mean.

Nick Mann
13-05-2012, 10:11 AM
It could be all sorts, TBH. A broken output shaft can do that, sign for that would be that the speedo still shows speed increasing as the revs go up. You could have a damaged planetary, I have also had that problem too! But I'd say start with the simple stuff first - low fluid level can lead to strange behaviour and if the box thinks there is a problem, there could well be a stored diagnostic code as Brian mentioned above. If no code and no problem with fluid level, the next thing I would potentially do is drain what fluid there is and have a good look at that - colour, condition, metallics etc.

What exactly is the dashboard doing? Does the speedo move, does the drive light show, does the neutral light flash?

FullySickVR4
13-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Sweet thanks for the advice. Its parked up at the moment but i have checked the ATF fluid and it definately hasnt been changed in a while and it looks like its overfilled aswell. Il start with changing the trans fluid and filter and see how i go

Subaru ETA
13-05-2012, 09:24 PM
How did you check the trans fluid level? At operating temp and cycle through the gears before checking the dipstick?

What trans fluid are you going to use?

FullySickVR4
14-05-2012, 02:26 AM
Yea i checked it at running temp and i was just going to use castrol dextron 3 unless there is something better to put in them?

Ryan
14-05-2012, 03:16 AM
Mitsubishi SPIII - Dextron 3 should never be used.

FullySickVR4
14-05-2012, 06:50 AM
So pick that up from the mitsi dealer? whats the difference is it a full synthetic oil? also any advice on were to get a torque converter from if i need one

Ryan
14-05-2012, 07:38 AM
Yeah any Mitsubishi stealership will stock it. The difference is that SPIII is the manufacturer specified fluid for the auto trans. Have a search for "Dextron III" and you'll see why it cannot and should never be used (it's simply not the right fluid for the job).

scott.mohekey
14-05-2012, 08:45 AM
If your torque converter has failed. I have one here that was working when I took it out of the car (in the process of a manual conversion).

Nick Mann
14-05-2012, 09:13 AM
As I understand it Dexron III hasn't got quite the same friction properties as SPIII. It is possible, indeed likely, that using Dexron III will lead to eventual failure of the box as the clutches wear badly.

There are a few SPIII oils out there now, but AFAIK the only fully synthetic ATF that fits the bill is Amsoil. If pennies are more important than quality, then in the UK SPIII is cheaper from Hyundai than Mitsubishi.

Roadrunner
14-05-2012, 03:46 PM
... using Dexron III will lead to eventual failure of the box as the clutches wear badly.

True, but if it got so bad that the clutches were shot, I would have expected the car to have been a dog to drive prior to that happening. The short period of time I had Castrol TQ Dexron III in my previous car (before Kieran identified the friction coefficient issue) showed that, over time, the gear changes became much harsher and it wasn't pleasant to drive. Switching back to Mitsubishi Diaqueen SP III (and later to Amsoil) improved the gear changes and the box was still working perfectly after 130k miles, so no lasting damage done.

amsoil
19-05-2012, 11:49 AM
True, but if it got so bad that the clutches were shot, I would have expected the car to have been a dog to drive prior to that happening. The short period of time I had Castrol TQ Dexron III in my previous car (before Kieran identified the friction coefficient issue) showed that, over time, the gear changes became much harsher and it wasn't pleasant to drive. Switching back to Mitsubishi Diaqueen SP III (and later to Amsoil) improved the gear changes and the box was still working perfectly after 130k miles, so no lasting damage done.

Wouldn't quite agree with this one, you did actually damage/ cause wear to the box but not terminally. Burnt crap on the plates will also be stripped off by the Amsoil ATF because its a detergent based synthetic. Mitzi SP111 cannot do this. A good lesson learned in time may i suggest.

Roadrunner
19-05-2012, 12:04 PM
A good lesson learned in time may i suggest.

Agreed /yes :thumbsup:

`TiTo
02-06-2012, 09:17 PM
im having exatly this problem, when in auto, can't go through from 2 to 3, when trying in 3rd momentantly starts flashing N, i think thats a safe mode, already checked ATF fluid lvl and situation, everything fine, already pass scanner, its show:

043 3A gear not synchronized
044 4A gear not synchronized

when in tiptronic mode, just can use 1st and 2nd gear, if try 3rd start slipping and flash N again.

Any tips guys ? coz im really having a headache :uhoh:

Nick Mann
03-06-2012, 04:00 PM
The last gearbox I saw that would only use 1st, 2nd and reverse had a planetary gear with all its teeth broken. It could be worth checking the input and output shaft speed sensors first, before you take the box out though.

`TiTo
03-06-2012, 06:35 PM
OMG /JawDroppi i think im screwed if its mechanical problem

Nick Mann
03-06-2012, 06:59 PM
I think that is worst case scenario, but as I have has a similar issue I thought I would let you know what it was.

TAR
03-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Tito, start your own thread for your gearbox issue so you don't mix up the advice with the original poster.

:happy:

`TiTo
04-06-2012, 04:44 PM
I think that is worst case scenario, but as I have has a similar issue I thought I would let you know what it was.

thank you very much Nick Mann

Tito, start your own thread for your gearbox issue so you don't mix up the advice with the original poster.

my bad dude, have a nice day

TAR
04-06-2012, 08:10 PM
my bad dude, have a nice day

That's OK, I wasn't having a moan, its just more helpful for you if you have your own thread.

:happy: