PDA

View Full Version : brake dust on panels

zanzibar
13-05-2012, 10:09 PM
i washed my car today but noticed loads of orange spots on the sill and door on the passenger side of the car, as i have a white car im thinking hot brake dust has come off and got on to the panels causing these spots.
i have tried everything i have to remove these but cant get them out,my mate suggested using turtle wax premium grade rubbing compound to remove the spots but im not sure if its the best thing to use.
has anyone experienced this problem before?

Humpty's Revenge
13-05-2012, 10:12 PM
Autoglym intensive tar remover

Ryan
13-05-2012, 10:14 PM
Not quite sure what the wax is meant to do as it is a protectant. I'd try dabbing a cloth with a little bit of methylated spirits and apply it to one of the spots and see if you can rub it off.

zanzibar
13-05-2012, 10:21 PM
was thinking of getting the meguiars tar remover stuff but might just get the autoglym as i use the autoglym super resin as my polish andf its great stuff.
does it come off easy steve

Humpty's Revenge
14-05-2012, 07:50 AM
come off easy steve

You need to empty into a spray bottle for better results, then spray it on & then leave it for around 1 minute or slightly less, then either use a powerful hose or a power washer but don't go to close!

Then use soap/water to wash of residue then do it again if there is still stubborn ones left & gently rub with a very soft cloth, repeat procedure

kNuTz
15-05-2012, 12:06 AM
Baby wipes are great at getting tar off bodywork! ;)

Davezj
16-05-2012, 12:12 AM
orange spots suggest to me rust, but it is obviously not the panels that are rusty, so my question is has anyone been using an angle grinder rear you car recently, as i used a angle drinder the other day near my plastic bin and the sparks of molton metal hit the bin and some obviously stuck to the bin as it now has orangy spots all over the side of the bin.
so if you car has a big wax finish on the panels, i would imagine the grinder sparks would melt and stick to this also.

by the way i would not expect brake dust to stick to any body panels, only to the wheels. the only brake pad compound that i know of that really sticks to surfaces it contacts is the carbotech XP8, they are really good track pads but do cause a lot of brake dust, that is hard to remove.