PDA

View Full Version : AYC union size

jayp
14-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Hi, it's a long shot I know, but does anyone know what size and thread type the unions are on the metal hydraulic lines from the AYC pump?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Louis
14-05-2012, 10:07 PM
try mlr register as a few folk have changed to braided lines, so will know the size.

jayp
15-05-2012, 06:27 AM
Good call hadn't thought about them!

poloquet
16-05-2012, 04:09 AM
I am very interested in this. My lines to the rear difff are damaged and need to sort this out. Please post answer.

Dom B
16-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Well I now the hex head is 14mm but that probably doesnt help. Can be a pain to undo, I made a tool by cutting a slot down the side of a single hex impack socket to remove them without the pain of rounding off the hex edges. How about getting some stainless hard pipe and bending up a new set that will last the life of the car, and idea I have been playing with.

jayp
16-05-2012, 03:22 PM
That's pretty much my plan, hench needing to find the union size, plus the pump on mine is hooded, I have a replacement but need the lines...

Jesus-Ninja
22-05-2012, 05:45 PM
Funnily enough I have a pump on the bench at the moment, as as far as I can make out, the size is 1/4" NPT. A 1/4" BSP fitting runs nicely into it, but I know that the adjustable switches that Malc supplies are NPT. BSP and NP are "sort of" interchangeable in so much as one will run into another, but the profile of the threads is different AFAIK, so you shouldn't really mix them for pressure critical systems.

That said, these take a line, rather than a single device on the end (like a switch or sensor), so the seal of the thread is less critical, and it's the seal of the flare in the end of the pipe that's more important.

jayp
22-05-2012, 06:55 PM
Brilliant cheers for the info mate, will have to invest in a couple of unions when I get back from a surprisingly sunny Scotland.

Jesus-Ninja
22-05-2012, 07:58 PM
It's also worth noting that each of the hoses that run from the pump to the diff are in three parts which can be separated: a hard line at each end and a flexible section in the middle. The flexible section in the middle has a female 1/4" fitting on each end, and then the hard lines at each end each have a male 1/4" fitting on each end.

This means that if you bugger one of the hard lines, it can be replaced individually (ie no harder than a brake line to repair). This could come in handy for my "put the AYC pump somewhere else" mini-project. :)