PDA

View Full Version : New camber rules - stupid!

wintertidenz
19-05-2012, 06:50 AM
My friend sent me this link on Facebook and I thought everyone here in NZ might find it interesting.

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/infosheets/LVVTA_Info_04-2012_Suspension_Camber_Angle_Guide.pdf

Basically, you are not allowed to have over 0.30' difference in negative camber from factory specs.

This already screws me over - with standard suspension, my rear camber is around -1.49' each side - which is out of factory spec by over 0.30', and my front right side is JUST within the limit of 0.40'.
So by the sounds of it, if I want to get a cert, I have to screw around with suspension because it's slightly out.
If they change this to being a WOF issue, then I suspect a LOT of people will have to screw around with getting it fixed - and probably having to pay a LOT for it!.

For reference, the front camber specs are:
Camber = 0°00' ± 30' (difference left to right to be within 30')

Rear:
Camber = -1°00' ± 30' (difference left to right to be within 30')

SEAN-NZ
19-05-2012, 07:08 AM
that sucks, most of us would be stuffed, like mine ranging from 1°28 - 2°20 after a wheel alignment, seriously gonna suck if we have to fix it, gonna be some good revenue for the government...

Gly
19-05-2012, 07:44 AM
not worried, only a problem for those going for new LVV certs, i already have mine :P

and it will never be a wof issue, as this will mean every garage will have to get wheel alignment equipment.

its only really for the knobs with that hella flush tucked in look with stupid camber thats just dangerous.

not really a problem anyway... only time we (vr4 owners in nz) are going to need cert,

its going to be because of coil over supension,
in which case you are doing work there anyway, so just do it once, do it right.

PS dan.... if you suspension is out of spec standard, theres something seriously worn or bent!

wintertidenz
19-05-2012, 08:14 AM
I've had an accident on the drivers side a few years back that bent suspension arms and where they mount on the chassis - they put them back in place as best they could, but it is slightly out. It's never seemed to cause an issue though.

It's quite possible that the rear lower arms or something in that region is worn - I'll check it out next time I'm under the car.

PS - if you change your turbos or go to a large single, you are actually meant to get a cert. Most WOF people wouldn't know the difference though.

Gly
19-05-2012, 09:09 AM
LVV certification will be required if the increase in power is more than 20%

pffft like they'd know lol.

are they gonna dyno it when i get pulled over?

its simple really.... dont get caught driving like a knob on public roads (i said dont get caught, not i dont)

Scanny
19-05-2012, 11:08 AM
sounds like you guys are getting screwed through your cars too

Adam.Findlay
19-05-2012, 01:39 PM
I already have cert for my adjustable suspention and my local garage where i go for warrant are convinced my brembos are a "factory option" and my intercooler is painted black so noone notices it but when i eventually add bigger turbos and various other mods that are un-ignorable by the law im going to have to re certify the car and because of the way vr4 suspention cambers up the second the ride height is lowered this law pretty much makes my car un-cert-afiable!
all because of those form>function/hellafush benders making their cars stupidly low for no reason other then looks. us who modify for accual performance gains suffer

Adam.Findlay
19-05-2012, 01:41 PM
LVV certification will be required if the increase in power is more than 20%

pffft like they'd know lol.

are they gonna dyno it when i get pulled over?

its simple really.... dont get caught driving like a knob on public roads (i said dont get caught, not i dont)

Even if they did bring in a law that required dyno tests to be done to prove 20% power increase. KSmods map switching to the rescue. :)

Gly
19-05-2012, 10:53 PM
just use spacers on the rear camber arms and adjustable front inner bushes.. then camber isnt an issue.

or it does say the alignment can only be 14 days old.... have it done at stock height when the camber is correct,

then drop it for the cert and have it realigned,

theres always a way around things or a fix.

Oggie
20-05-2012, 07:54 AM
i can see it in 50 years time...

"dude my car uis fully tricked out."
"oh yeah? what did you do to it?"
"I got an after market headunit and new interior."
"dont let the fashion police catch ya with the leather interior"

SEAN-NZ
20-05-2012, 08:45 AM
soon they wont even allow your car to be lowered, money hungry government p***ks

Oblivion
21-05-2012, 04:39 AM
Wow, talk about ridiculous! Within 3 degrees would be more reasonable :P

Kenneth
21-05-2012, 05:42 AM
Read the following passage carefully. It sounds to me like they are saying that the LVV Certifier has to check the camber and then take extra care where it exceeds the manufacturers specification, no that it is a hard limit.
I would think that the chances are that it will need to go on the Cert plate and LVV certifiers will be a LOT more careful about what they say is OK.

The resulting negative camber maximum limit that has been adopted is as follows:
A front or rear suspension system in a low volume vehicle must incorporate no more than half a degree
(0 degrees 30mins/0°30’) more negative camber than that specified by the vehicle manufacturer.
In any case where a vehicle’s camber exceeds that recommended by the vehicle’s manufacturer, the LVV
Certifier must ensure that the requirements contained in 2.2(2)(a), 2.3(8), and 2.4(1) (referred to earlier
in this LVVTA Information Sheet) of the LVVTA suspension standard have been met. The LVV Certifier
must also take extra care in ensuring that the vehicle is safe and fit for purpose, based upon the following
factors:
 tyre width – the effects of added negative camber are more pronounced when wide, low-profile
tyres are fitted; and
 road and brake performance test results; and
 the vehicle manufacturer’s wheel alignment specifications.

SEAN-NZ
21-05-2012, 10:33 AM
anyone know the specs for our car? im assuming its pretty close to zero?

ianb
22-05-2012, 12:17 AM
My tyre fitter says rear camber spec is -1.30 min, -0.30max; the nearest they could get is -2.05, so it is well out of spec, and I have had the car from 4500mls onwards, never pranged to my knowledge. facelift Nov 2000.

Subaru ETA
22-05-2012, 12:48 AM
Is it lowered?

wintertidenz
22-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Sean - I put the specs in my first post.

SEAN-NZ
23-05-2012, 05:48 AM
my bad, forgot i had actually read it first time haha

ianb
24-05-2012, 01:57 AM
Mine is standard ride height, need clearance to get over the concrete hump in my drive !!.