PDA

View Full Version : Radio Wiring.

Nick Mann
21-12-2004, 10:36 PM
The plug on the Galant Loom for the radio is not quite the same as anything that I have seen before. If you are gaggin to have a go at wiring the radio in without going to Halfrauds and spending £11 on a ready-made convertor, then this could be for you:

Remove the panels around the radio as shown in Kierans HOW TO post - Here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3293).

After removing the radio and panels, you should find a plug with 14 pins. My photo of it is not good, but here it is:

Nick Mann
21-12-2004, 10:43 PM
Basically, the 4 wires on the left and the right are the speaker connections, the power is in the middle. The colours should match this:

yellow/red = right rear spkr +ve
grey/red = right rear spkr -ve
yellow/blue = left rear spkr +ve
grey/blue = right rear spkr -ve
white/black = signal (annt)
white/blue (thin wire) = not sure!
blue = +12V switched
red/black = +12V permanent (memory)
green/white = lights
black/yellow (thin wire) = not sure!
white/blue = left front +ve
black/blue = left front -ve
white/red = right front +ve
black/red = right front -ve

I think that this describes the wires from left to right on the screen, but I took the photo a while ago, so don't quote me on that!

If anyone knows what the last 2 wires do, give me a shout, as it would be nice to tie the whole thing up.

Big Ian
22-12-2004, 12:40 AM
white/blue (thin wire) = not sure!
black/yellow (thin wire) = not sure!

If anyone knows what the last 2 wires do, give me a shout, as it would be nice to tie the whole thing up.

nick suggestion's of the 4 your not sure about,1 may be for powering an aireal or extra power out's for,amp or CD multi changer?..are your tweeter's working OK? as the 2 your "not sure" about may be feed's to a cross over?

Nick Mann
22-12-2004, 10:34 AM
Nope! Everything is working fine. There is a signal out, but I have never seen a power out before? One could be a phone mute signal, but I just don't know. I spent £11 at halfrauds but thought that now I can decipher most of the cables, some people may find it useful.

Big Ian
22-12-2004, 11:58 AM
could any of the spare's be for the sub up-grade,that's available for galant's?
or maybe something for a double din unit.....

RED
24-12-2004, 02:19 PM
Antenna amplifier?

adam_shaw
25-12-2004, 05:16 PM
Maybe the yellow/black is the speed pulse? It would be necessary for MMCS (assuming it uses it and doesn't just rely on the antenna)

Anyone able to check this out? (portable storage scope?)

A

J.A.P.
18-03-2006, 10:31 AM
could any of the spare's be for the sub up-grade,that's available for galant's?
or maybe something for a double din unit.....

What sub upgrade - where does it fit? Is there any alternative to putting it in the boot of a wagon? How much is it, although I'm guessing you can buy better and cheaper non-Mitsi kit?

marmel31
18-03-2006, 07:26 PM
The rear panel in the boot on the drivers side has a small sub mounted in it if it was an option, might be an 8" or 10" I'm not sure. Makes it nice and tidy if you don't want a sub box but obviously wouldn't be as powerful as a seperate unit. I have the panle and the sub sitting at home in my shed actually if anyone wants one.

J.A.P.
19-03-2006, 01:56 AM
The rear panel in the boot on the drivers side has a small sub mounted in it if it was an option, might be an 8" or 10" I'm not sure. Makes it nice and tidy if you don't want a sub box but obviously wouldn't be as powerful as a seperate unit. I have the panle and the sub sitting at home in my shed actually if anyone wants one.

I've just ordered a tiny Alpine SWD 1600 active sub which is designed to go under the seat (or possibly even in the panel that you have just suggested.....we'll see when it arrives). Obviously it's not going to shake the car, but I just want some decent bass, not to pimp my ride (as I believe the youngsters call it) and deafen myself. Puts me off my driving!

Anyway it only cost just over £100, but with the 4 upgraded speakers (Infinity 6512Si) and new tweeters, it takes my spend up to a marriage threatening £300. /pan I'll let you know what the results are when I've got it all fitted. At the moment my door panels are in the garage and I've done a rough fit of the front speakers, which sound great. It's pigging cold out there you know and I have no idea what I'm doing...

marmel31
19-03-2006, 04:54 AM
I have no idea what I'm doing...

Join the club.....I mean that in a number of ways:happy:

nlo
19-03-2006, 12:00 PM
would one be an earth ? :thinking:

J.A.P.
21-03-2006, 02:28 PM
I've just ordered a tiny Alpine SWD 1600 active sub which is designed to go under the seat (or possibly even in the panel that you have just suggested.....we'll see when it arrives). Obviously it's not going to shake the car, but I just want some decent bass, not to pimp my ride (as I believe the youngsters call it) and deafen myself. Puts me off my driving!

Anyway it only cost just over £100, but with the 4 upgraded speakers (Infinity 6512Si) and new tweeters, it takes my spend up to a marriage threatening £300. /pan I'll let you know what the results are when I've got it all fitted. At the moment my door panels are in the garage and I've done a rough fit of the front speakers, which sound great. It's pigging cold out there you know and I have no idea what I'm doing...

Well the good news is it just fits in the cubby hole on the left hand side of the boot, also under the driver's seat - I've got power seats and if you lift them up you can slot it underneath and it doesn't seem to interfere with the movement of the seat. I'm going to get in touch with a ICE guy I know to fit it and I'll let you know what it sounds like. It is supposed to be very good for the size (it certainly weighs enough..) and much better than a rival Clarion model which is a bit smaller.

Nick Mann
21-03-2006, 03:41 PM
would one be an earth ? :thinking:

Nope - the earth is a seperate wire, not on the same multi-plug.

Bal
21-03-2006, 06:16 PM
Nope - the earth is a seperate wire, not on the same multi-plug.

lol 2 days to late. after driving to halford/oxford car audio and back twice plus a phone call to pezz i worked this one out.

got scared and thought my HU had died a death in the 2 months it's sat in my living room. /pan

detonate
27-03-2006, 10:23 AM
I remember a gotchya with the older galants, and even a 94 lancer....
there was a wire that looks like an earth, you test it with a multimeter with the ignition off, ACC on, etc.
Then you wire it up as earth and then at night everytime you turn your lights on you blow the fuse for your stereo/centre console/break lights.

Heh, its the +12V for the centre console lights that light up the factory stereo.

zentac
27-03-2006, 11:51 AM
Same ISO connector as the FTO

ISO harness adaptor is £7.95 inc VAT & carriage from Niche 01285-860865 not really worth chopping the loom for.

MR.VOODOO
27-03-2006, 04:09 PM
or 6.95 inc vat + carriage from me

woodeye
05-06-2006, 09:56 AM
any one out their that can help me

I have a 97 legnum with mmcs what i want to know is how to hook up a dvd player to it it has the silver box it the left hand side of the boot as per pic with some extra slots in it (no rca plugs) has any body seen this before and is this were i can hook up a dvd player to.

Gly
05-06-2006, 10:11 AM
thats the sat-nav box, theres another for the TV.

PM bradc as he has done wat you want to do,

and the TV will cut out when the car starts to move

woodeye
06-06-2006, 06:32 AM
I have emailed bradc and hes said the same think I looked all over the car and cant find any other box I found one on trade me for a diamante will this work or do you guys no were to find one.
is there any other way of hooking a dvd player up to it.

heres the link

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=58416081

woodeye
15-06-2006, 08:24 AM
Ive just picked up a second hand tv tuner and another unit as per pic so i can watch a dvd when driving but problem ive got is that the plugs that come out of the unit on the tv tuner were cut off (not showen is pic) were do these go and or has anybody got a wiring loom diagrams
thanks

phosty
17-04-2007, 09:17 AM
I have a slightly different setup in my VR4. The factory installed system has the double DIN cassette head unit with 10 CD multichanger in the rear left luggage compartment. Underneath the floor panel beside the CD multichanger is another box which I think is an amplifier (Part No. MR172202).

There is a square multiplug going into the back of the head unit but this only seems to have 4 wires connected to it. According to the guide further up they would be: Lights (green/white), +12V Perm (red/black). +12V Switched (Blue), and Signal Antenna (white/black).

Then there is a round plug beside the square one with 8 of the pins connected. This seems to go to the amp unit under the floor panel in the boot. I'm assuming this carries the L & R sound channels at line level input as well as the control signals for the amp and CD multichanger.

There is also a smaller square plug and connector on flying black wires in and out which I assume is the ground.

On the back on the amp unit there are two square multiplugs and two of the round plugs (one connected to the head unit I think and the other to the CD Changer). When I take out the right hand square mutliplug from the amp I lose some of the speakers but when I pull out the other one I lose them all (including the sub in the right hand boot compartment).

So my question - can I replace my head unit with something more useful for UK frequencies (and better looking, maybe with an LCD screen) but still keep the CD changer and amp? I'm guessing there are probably no simple plug adaptors that would interface with the amp/control unit via the round plug which means I can't control the CD changer. But maybe I can still feed line level signals to the amp and get it to drive my speakers and sub?

Or should I just rip it all out and start again? Ideally replacing the speaker cable with decent gauge wire too.

(as an aside - where would te crossovers for the door mounted tweeters be? In the door or part of the amp unit - and therefore wire individually back to the boot?)

Finally - why are there two ariel connectors on the head unit? I have read elsewhere on the forum (though I can't seem to find the thread again) that the Legnums have antenna boosters? Is that what the two connectors are for or do I only need one?

Pics attached:

Beastlee
18-04-2007, 09:07 PM
For those wanting an ISO converter for this main plug you can get them from a guy on E-Bay for £3.49 delivered and they are very high quality. THe supplier is i.n.c.a.r. and you can get to his shop at http://stores.ebay.co.uk/I-N-C-A-R Next day delivery is included and it plugged in and worked no problem.

I would imagine that unless it is a propriatry brand there would be no converter available for it. You could possibly make something for it with phonos to utilise the amp as long as you can confirm the pin-out.

HMG1K
28-09-2007, 09:12 PM
Folks, sorry to bring this thread up again... Being a newbie and all that I'm still finding the wealth of information amazing!

Anyway, with a VR4 (UK spec) saloon do they all have space for a sub in the boot, as described here, whether or not a sub was factory installed...?

Also, I've seen some pics with CD auto changers on the left hand side of the boot - if one wasn't factor installed, are there plugs to wire up aftermarket changers...?

I'm soon to pick up my VR4 in a few weeks from the dealer, otherwise I'd be scurrying around the boot now to find out for myself!

Thanks all, in advance for your help.

Nick Mann
28-09-2007, 09:24 PM
Unlikely you will have cables, I would say. The cut out is there on the right hand side inner wing on Legnums for the Sub. But I don't know where you would find a sub to fit it! The gap between inner and outer wing is not big!

HMG1K
28-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Thanks Nick... Sussing out if to bring over my current sub or buy a new one.

phosty
06-06-2008, 03:53 PM
Just tidying up some loose ends:

The White-Blue (W-L) wire in the radio plug is indeed for a speed signal from the gearbox speed sensor. I guess it depends on if your radio supports variable volume as to if you need to connect it or not.

The Black-Yellow (B-Y) wire is the Rheostat (dimmer) variable ground. This wire crops up all over the dash wiring where ever there are lights that can be dimmed. I found it in the fog light switch too for example. They all common up through the dimmer unit. It's also useful to know if you want to add dimming to any accessories you might add - you need to earth the illumination ground via a Black-Yellow (B-Y) wire somewhere.

All this info came from the Galant Wiring Manual (extracts attached). It would be really useful (hint, hint) if the full manual were posted up on ClubVR4 somewhere for the benefit of all members .....

pitslayer
07-06-2008, 03:12 AM
one wire could be for the dimmer on the lights, when you turn your lights on the radio should dim, very few of these actually work i find on aftermarket head units though.
also agree for the sake of a few quid not worth cutting your loom up. if i buy a car and find this, it p***es me off no end, becase you then have to cut the loom your stereo to fit it in, or make a new harness, or fix the mess.

the parcel shelf sub whole is 8" and is a PITA to get at to fit in. there is no wiring going to it, but it is easy enough to wire win....
if i remember rightly, remove rear bench seat, fold down back seas, pull the plastic cover off both sides, then i think there was 3 screws at the front, remove speaker grills these just pop off, and you should be able to lift the parcel shelf up. then remove the cover over the whole. i didnt take the parcel shelf fully out, you can slide the sub into the hole then....run your wires down the behind the bolster, out to the bottom of the seat and then to your amp. one thing i will say, is watch out, i found that the sub rubbed slightly on the metal work and kept cutting the speaker wire going to it, and shorting it out.
thats if i remember rightly anyway, been a while since i did it

and for anyone stuck on fitting new speakers into there car, i did do a guide for this, its in the members articles :)

back to the OP- although alot of work for the sake of about 10 quid, it does help so people can trace problems have some rep :D

edit: didnt see it was 2 pages long

__ET__
20-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Does anyone know what wire I can use on the MMCS as a remote wire to turn on an amp?

fizog
09-11-2008, 08:34 PM
so if i ground the black yellow.. what do i do with the green wire? as new head unti and now no illumination lights and no light indicator on dash

VR4WGN
10-11-2008, 09:45 AM
bridge your ignition wire with the remote wire,thus only feeding power when ignition is on

Wodjno
23-08-2010, 04:59 PM
So my question - can I replace my head unit with something more useful for UK frequencies (and better looking, maybe with an LCD screen) but still keep the CD changer and amp? I'm guessing there are probably no simple plug adaptors that would interface with the amp/control unit via the round plug which means I can't control the CD changer. But maybe I can still feed line level signals to the amp and get it to drive my speakers and sub?

Or should I just rip it all out and start again? Ideally replacing the speaker cable with decent gauge wire too.

What was the outcome here ? Did u find out if you could just replac the head unit or was it case of rip it all out and start again :seeking:

bamakin
05-11-2010, 03:53 PM

Pics attached:

Does anyone know the answer to this then? I also have same set up in my Leggie VR-4 1997 model. Maybe its possible to replace the japenese amp in the boot and keep same speaker wiring, just replacing speakers??

phosty
05-11-2010, 06:34 PM
Hmmn - I think my subscribed thread email isn't working as I missed Wodjno's reply.

Believe it or not I still have the same setup - I mainly listen to Radio 4 (I know - just don't) and since the head unit could pickup the LW R4 service I kept it as is.

I did however trace all the wires back to the various speakers and had planned to use the multicore connector between the head unit and rear amp/cd player to carry the speaker level signals through to the speakers from a new standard headunit - just cut the plug off and join with crimps.

GalantOnly
05-11-2010, 06:42 PM
Home made diagram for wiring loom here /yes

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?52407

john13200242
11-02-2011, 08:56 AM
Just wondering what is the part number for this aftermarket stereo wiring loom converter ? Also is this loom similar to any other Mitsubishi loom. I went to my local Autobarn in Australia and they reckon they dont sell them ?

Edit: Also its a 2000 legnum.

bamakin
11-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Just wondering what is the part number for this aftermarket stereo wiring loom converter ? Also is this loom similar to any other Mitsubishi loom. I went to my local Autobarn in Australia and they reckon they dont sell them ?

Edit: Also its a 2000 legnum.

I bought this one for my 97 leggie vr4:

1 x PX685
Mitsubishi to ISO loom (PX685)
GBP 9.50

Search the PX685 on the net for your nearest supplier see what come up.

catch you later!!!