PDA

View Full Version : Front turbo advice

gr fto reborn
19-05-2012, 08:58 AM
Hi guys me again. Looking for some advise on my front turbo. I recently fitted a galant fwd box to my vr4 powered fto. That sorted my gearbox issue. Then about 3 miles driving I have it a boot full and the turbine retaining nut appeared to of come off smashing my turbine and the oil seals allowing pretty much all of the engine oil into the exhaust. I have since removed the front turbo and have got a replacement. I want to replace all of the gaskets and copper seals I can't find the copper washers on camskill. Is there a generic size for them all? Also this is what eurospec did to get around the clutch slave cylinder hitting the actuator. It's held on by one bolt and the arm has been offset as pictured. I have had boost fluctuations could this be why.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c271/ging1584/5f1b60b0.jpg
It's hard to describe as the car would only boost to 0.4 bar and felt a little slow when I first got it. I changed the wastegate solenoid and nothing. I leak tested and replaced my dump valve and fixed a **** weld. Nothing right away. Then all of a sudden she boosted to 0.6 bar and felt loads more powerful. That shagged my already worn input drive shaft on the fto box. So it's taken me a while to get the new box in. The galant box is spot on. Just before the turbo went pop she would boost to 0.4-0.5 bar. Still felt sluggish. Not like before. So is it the actuator causing issues or was it just the fact I had a turbo that was on its way out? Advice is appreciated.

veegeeta
21-05-2012, 10:18 AM
hay mate i also have a vr4 legnum engine in my fto running fto 5 speed with 18psi every day and have not blown a turbo yet (touch wood) sounds like you had a shaged turbo from the start. what box did you fit out of what model?

gr fto reborn
26-05-2012, 03:28 PM
I fitted a box from the fwd 2.5ltr galant sport. I have to put the fto selectors on it and bolt it on. Ratios on that box seem better. Need to fix it do I can have a good drive. The fto box's seem to be good on holding the power. Just not mine lol