PDA

View Full Version : VR4 downpipes with New Flexis Fitted

Wodjno
21-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Thread to gauge interest in replacement standard downpipes on a return basis.
I have a couple of sets of downpipes at the moment that are ok. But was thinking of offering them with New Flexi's welded in. And complete with 3 New gaskets ready for fitting /yes
But i would need your old flexi's on an exchange basis.
Price will be £135 delivered. The buyer will have to arrange the delivery of the old downpipes back to me. To guarantee that i receive the old downpipes in return. The initial price will be £200. When i receive the downpipes in exchange, i will then transfer £65 back to the purchaser.

The reason for this is that if i don't get downpipes in exchange, then i won't be able to offer this to anyone else.

Thoughts please /yes

Need New Front Wheel Bearings? See Here /yes : http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?64379-Wheel-Bearing&highlight=bearings

Wodjno
21-05-2012, 01:40 PM
At a later date i will possibly be looking into Stainless Steel downpipes as well /yes

Wodjno
21-05-2012, 06:46 PM
OK.. So 29 views and no replies.
I hope i haven't been misunderstood /help
The thread isn't about who wants some now! It's merely to get a view from club members to whether you think it's a worthwhile project. Because when it comes to the time when someone does want a set of downpipes because they have become damaged(as there are members now) there are only crappy used downpipes for them to choose from. But if members think it's a good idea, then can always have a couple in stock ready with new flexis in place.
So Wodja reckon :) Worth giving it a go :) Or not :(

Cheers

Wodj

VR457
22-05-2012, 02:50 AM
A year or so ago i would definitely have said yes. I had to get the aftermarket pipe at a lot more cost (£350 i think it was). I still have the old downpipe with a slightly frayed flexi that could do with a touchup.

When someone is desparate you could sell it as it is. Your idea would help but it is one of these things people don't worry about until it's urgent and then they panic all over.

Wodjno
22-05-2012, 04:14 PM
Thanx for your reply Jamil /yes
As i said, this thread isn't about who wants a downpipe now. It's for if your downpipe did end up getting damaged! Would you prefer to have a downpipe ready and waiting with New Flexi's fitted, that you could have on your car within a couple of days? Or hunt around for a shabby downpipe that may end up being not much better than the 1 you had before :)
It could be this happens in 2 weeks time or 2 years.
The other option is to pay as you did for an uprated 1.
Thanks again for reply. Please can you add your vote to the Poll :D

Cheers

Wodj

aboo
22-05-2012, 04:27 PM
I would recommend this to anyone who still has the standard down pipes on there car to get them sorted before your next MOT/yes.

With the new emissions test any leaks are going to give you a huge chance of failing the emissions test.

I heat rapped my downpipes last year & the guy at the garage said there were no leaks in my exhaust. When I was under the car yesterday I noticed a small black stain where the front flexi is & was lucky enough to have a good set of down pipes in my garage. Changed them over & changed lambda & the car passed the emissions straight away on its third attempt.

A word of warning & something to think about.

Scanny
24-05-2012, 08:48 PM
funnily enough Andy was educating me on custom downpipes on facebook today. they sound pretty pricey so this does sound like a very reasonable offer

Wodjno
29-05-2012, 08:23 AM
Anymore views on this :)

horndog
31-05-2012, 11:08 PM
I think this is a good idea,
but will you be clearly specifying the amount of corrosion/bottoming out allowable on the exchange set?

Wodjno
01-06-2012, 08:27 AM
I think this is a good idea,
but will you be clearly specifying the amount of corrosion/bottoming out allowable on the exchange set?

Obviously if the downpipes to be exchanged are in no fit state to be repaired, then the £65 would not be refunded. I will be stripping off the heatshields and cleaning the whole downpipe up. All corrosion removed as best possibly can.
If there are any small holes, then I am prepared to weld these up.
On pretty much all the downpipes I've seen, its normally just the flexis and heatshields that take a battering. Underneath the heatahields is normally unscathed.

Cheers

Wodj

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

adaxo
01-06-2012, 09:00 AM
So when the first set will be ready to view/buy?? also is there any difference between PFL/FL??

andyleaves
01-06-2012, 10:15 AM
Glenn, I personally think this is a great idea!
I take it these are the two wire mesh sections that always get frayed, the bits between the CAT and the engine?
Or have I got this wrong?

Wodjno
01-06-2012, 01:06 PM
Glenn, I personally think this is a great idea!
I take it these are the two wire mesh sections that always get frayed, the bits between the CAT and the engine?
Or have I got this wrong?

You are correct Andy /yes

andyleaves
01-06-2012, 01:40 PM
After three years membership, two of which has been Legnum based and still learning :D

Wodjno
01-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Here you go mate /yes

andyleaves
01-06-2012, 02:00 PM
OHHHHH ! Shinny...
Me wants...
So let me see if I have this right.
We send you £200, you send us the enitre section between the cat and engine.
We install, and send you our old ones back?You then give us £45 back dependent on state of the return version...
Actually sounds to good to be true...

Wodjno
01-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Absolutely spot on mate /yes

Wodjno
01-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Actually sounds to good to be true...

Actually if it sounds too good to be true, it normally is :eek:

Maybe I better revise my price ;)

Wodj

andyleaves
01-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Noooooooo.....
Damn my quick mouth :D

adaxo
01-06-2012, 04:00 PM
Who is covering postage for return ones??

aboo
01-06-2012, 04:20 PM
Who is covering postage for return ones??It only costs £15.30 by parcelforce at your local post office to send downpipes Adam. I now this cause I sent a set away recently.

I take it, it will even its self out cause Glenn is paying this to send the good ones to you.

adaxo
01-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Dont get me wrong. I just try to judge OVERALL costs, what about seals (two for downpipes one for cat)?? its all build up costs, and as we all know 'every little help' :d

one more thing, what if heat shields are FUBAR?

Wodjno
01-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Dont get me wrong. I just try to judge OVERALL costs, what about seals (two for downpipes one for cat)?? its all build up costs, and as we all know 'every little help' :d

one more thing, what if heat shields are FUBAR?

Gaskets are included in the price as I have already stated.
Heatahields will not be being put back on the downpipes.
I don't see anyone who is paying £300 + for uprated downpipes, asking for heat shields :p

Cheers

Wodj

Gingerfish
05-06-2012, 02:10 PM
This is a great idea Glenn. Only trouble is, I'm currently after an uprated pipe.
Will you be venturing off into uprated territory?
Also, do you have to swap downpipes to standard one from uprated to pass an emissions test for mot?

(sorry for the off-topic questions)

Wodjno
05-06-2012, 02:33 PM
This is a great idea Glenn. Only trouble is, I'm currently after an uprated pipe.
Will you be venturing off into uprated territory?
Also, do you have to swap downpipes to standard one from uprated to pass an emissions test for mot?

(sorry for the off-topic questions)

Thankyou :thumbup:

In time I possibly will be venturing to Stainless uprated downpipes.

As for swapping custom back to standards for MOT. That's not necessary ;)

Cheers

Glenn

VR457
05-06-2012, 06:35 PM
As for swapping custom back to standards for MOT. That's not necessary ;)

ermmmm, no cat?

Wodjno
05-06-2012, 07:03 PM
ermmmm, no cat?

No mention was made about Cat's:eek:

Only Downpipes :thumbup:

SteveH
06-07-2012, 01:05 PM
Recieved a set of downpipes from Glenn today, although they were his practice pipes the welds are very good and look like they will last a long time. Very happy:happy:

Wodjno
06-07-2012, 02:06 PM
Recieved a set of downpipes from Glenn today, although they were his practice pipes the welds are very good and look like they will last a long time. Very happy:happy:

Thanx Steve. Pleasure doing business with you /yes

Cheers

Glenn

oggy
10-07-2012, 07:17 AM
I may need to look into this soon as my flexi pipe ha seen better days. I can hear a blow in the exhaust aswell! I'll have a look under the car and am pm you if that's on ( and your still doing the flexi fix?)

Oggy

Wodjno
10-07-2012, 09:42 AM
Hi Ben

Yes still on for these.. I have a couple of sets of Old downpipes at mine. So i need to get some flexi's and gaskets ordered. I've got some time off at beginning of next week, so will get a couple of sets made up. Let me know if you deffo want some. I'll order the Flexi's and gaskets today anyway, as i need them anyways.

Cheers

Glenn

chris_dono
10-07-2012, 10:24 PM
This sounds like a great deal Glenn !

Wodjno
11-07-2012, 05:26 AM
Gaskets sets and Flexis ordered :thumbup:

Sent via"The Force" using tapatalk :-)

Wodjno
28-03-2013, 08:50 PM
Bump /yes

horndog
28-03-2013, 09:50 PM
Just swoped mine out, extremely quick service - got me out of a pickle with the mot, fitted up perfectly to both the tubs and cat

& refunded deposit same day as the old downpipes were recieved

Recommended

martin_y
02-11-2013, 04:00 PM
Was this ever a goer? Have a leaking flexi on my 97 Legnum now.