PDA

View Full Version : removing problematic gearbox

SEAN-NZ
22-05-2012, 03:41 AM
before i started to actually remove gearbox, i checked fluids to see condition. the result of the gearbox was alright, few metal shards on magnetic drain bolt, then came transfer box, doesnt seem good, may have been causing the noise in car, see what i mean by the pictures
first picture is what came out of transfer box, second is when i shoved my finger inside to see whats there

the stuff thats in there is very thick, feels more like grease than oil, and it is as black as it looks, not impressed by this, wandering if i can get away with a flush and fill, advice on this please? thanks in advance.

Edit, figured i shoudl actually list the symptoms of the box, used to be a fairly noisy whining noise that got louder as i got faster i think, volume changed with load, almost silent while cruising on a flat road, but noisy while engine braking or accelerating, turned into more of a grinding a couple hundreds meters from home, havent driven it since, as i got to driveway it felt at is car was shuddering/jerking, clutch was in and i was almost stopped, clutch was in and car was in gear, also there was a faint clicking as i start to move the car, also clicked when car was stopped and i took foot off clutch when out of gear, but that stopped when i changed front engine mount, then came back, seems difficult to actually line it up properly as the bolt is smaller than the metal cylinder inside the mount. hope that gives enough details on whats been happening and why i wanted the box out, a mechanic mate had previously said it sounds like input shaft bearing, opinions on this?

Also, if transfer case is buggered, would one out of an auto fit? may make it easier to get if the are the same

SEAN-NZ
22-05-2012, 04:53 AM
a little update, just a couple extra pics

the gearbox drain bolt all clean before inserting into transfer case drain point

the after result, only went to the point before it started to thread in

cleaned the bolt, then put finger in hole, then used bolt to pick up any shards that came off finger, thinking that amount off my finger is rather bad

taupodrifta
22-05-2012, 04:54 AM
The noise when you release foot off clutch definitely sounds like thrust bearing to me. Both Manuel and auto transfer cases are the same it's only the shaft that connects them to the gearbox is different. If your transfer case is buggered I have one for sale

SEAN-NZ
22-05-2012, 05:48 AM
is the thrust bearing something to worry about? im kinda guessing the answer is yes, can hear anything after i get a bit of speed also as i said it did go away when i changed front mount, then came back, i think the mount mount dropped a bit, the picture might explain better

as you will be able to see the bolt doesnt fit, but it fits perfectly in the mount that connects to the engine, tried to have the bolt halfway up, no noise then i think it dropped to the bottom, noise came back, hope you can understand what im trying to say

taupodrifta
22-05-2012, 06:02 AM
when the bolt is dropped down can you see if the gearbox is touching the frame at all? Also what condition is the top gearbox mount in? Also rear engine mount?

SEAN-NZ
22-05-2012, 06:40 AM
when it is in the gearbox doesnt touch the frame, too dark to get a good shot of gearbox mount now, bottom looks split though, can shove my pinky a bit of the way in, not sure if its meant to be like that, cant see back mount at all though, will have to look tomorrow il make sure i get pics aswell, how much you want for the transfer case? if i need it

taupodrifta
22-05-2012, 09:00 AM
I have it on trademe for 200 but for anyone in the club 150

SEAN-NZ
22-05-2012, 09:17 AM
sweet, should have cash next wednesday, so long as i get my sick pay

SEAN-NZ
23-05-2012, 11:48 AM
just wandering if this is what the transfer case drain bolt is meant to look like, would have thought it would look more like the gearbox drain bolt, didnt think about it till a little bit ago and cant find anything about it on here

wintertidenz
25-05-2012, 10:29 PM
Yes from memory it's meant to look like that. There isn't much clearance in the transfer case for a long bolt with magnet.