PDA

View Full Version : Logging AFR with evoscan

Davezj
23-05-2012, 12:20 AM
I Have an MTX-L wideband and i want to log it with evoscan, but i can't seem to get the setup right to allow me to log AFR's

there lots of options to select with respect to what type of wideband the MTX-L is, and what item do i have to tick in the list to enable the wideband trace.

All help gratefully received
Thanks Dave

wintertidenz
23-05-2012, 08:19 AM
Set it as an LC-1 (because it basically is) in the Wideband menu, and select the correct COM port.

Once logging enable the Wideband AF channel.

foxdie
23-05-2012, 09:23 AM
You've got 2 choices bud, either log over a USB to serial adapter (faster but requires more cables connected to laptop), or use the secondary o2 sensor input (pin D5 (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?59222-Definitive-EFI-ECU-Pinout-(KS-Mod-friendly))) connected to the wideband cable from the MTX-L.

Logging AFR via the ECU D5 input has a ramping effect, it only updates every 250ms or so.

Davezj
10-05-2013, 01:18 PM
right i will open this thtraed up again and askthe same question as in the first post.
i can select the LC-1 wideband in evoscan and it now say MTX-L in the description now, but i can not select any comports to log, the line with the select comport to log and the arrow on it does nothing it doesn't bring up a list of selectable com ports.

i would like to add thet the first com port i can use is com 18 or com 19 all the others are allocated to other things, not sure what, and weather i can unallocate them if it is an issue.

wintertidenz
11-05-2013, 06:50 AM
All your other COM ports are used? That doesn't sound right, unless you have a lot of other serial devices.

Change it to either COM1, 2, 3, or 4 if possible. If the device isn't in use it should allow you to reallocate the ports with no issue.

Nick Mann
11-05-2013, 07:53 AM
There is also a way to splice the wide band signal into the ecu and then you can log that via evoscan

fassi1
11-05-2013, 07:57 AM
Like Daniel said choose com 1, 2 , 3 or 4.
Mine works fine with higher numbers like 8 or 9.

Davezj
11-05-2013, 10:41 AM
no, i am using a laptop it does non't have dedicated old style serial com ports it has virtual com ports provided by USB connections.
i thought all laptops were like this now.
virtual usb com port 1 through 17 have already been asigned to other things. i don't know what.
but for instance my tactrix cable has been asigned as com 15 so where ever it is plugged in it will always be com 15, and com 15 is always allocated to my tactrix cable even when it is not pluged in.

i think the other virtual com ports have been assigned to USB controllers and the likes. so when you plug in a unknown usb device that does not need its own drivers then it will take the comm port number assigned to the usb controller.

i can log my wideband output via my serial to usb converter cable with logworks the innovate own software and i can program changes to the wideband controller via the LM programmer software from innovate.
but i can't get evoscan to recognise that it has a wideband plugged into it and it can be logged.

i know you can't have the innovate software running when evoscan is running as this messes up the connection as they will both be trying to acess the controllor at the same time.
i also know you have to tick the WBD option in the data object in the thing you can log list.
i have also selected the LC-1 one option for which wideband to log as the has the MTX-L in it description.

but what i cant do oir have not got is the ability to select the com port the wideband usb/serial cable is connected to in evoscan.

fassi1
11-05-2013, 11:00 AM
That means evo-scan can't see any devices plugged in to ur loptop's usb ports.
Some seftwares can see virtual port numbers up to some number like VAG-com recognises com1, 2, 3, 4
can't see any others. Try to change virtual com port number to any of the top ones 1-9 , don't warry that they've been assigned to other devices,
and check if evo-scan can see it.

Davezj
11-05-2013, 11:02 AM
right i have just uninstallled my drivers for the USB/serial cable in device manager.

which did not seem to do anything until i opened evoscan, i know have an option of selecting either com 1 or com 8 which i don't think it going to help but it is a start.

i was going to give you a screen shot of the wideband selection menu but of course when you try and do the Alt+print screen it cluses the menu down. So i have done a full print screen with device manager showing the usb serial cable com port 18

is evoscan limited to the highest comport it knows about, is it com 1 to com 12 or something like that.

any way here is the pic, my screen resolution was too big for the uploader 1920x1200 so i had to reduce the size of the pic to get to to upload.

Davezj
11-05-2013, 11:02 AM
it is is still readable, a but fuzzy but ok.

Davezj
11-05-2013, 11:04 AM
That means evo-scan can't see any devices plugged in to ur loptop's usb ports.
Some seftwares can see virtual port numbers up to some number like VAG-com recognises com1, 2, 3, 4
can't see any others. Try to change virtual com port number to any of the top ones 1-9 , don't warry that they've been assigned to other devices,
and check if evo-scan can see it.

i will change it to cam 8 as evoscan seem to be able to see this one now.

Davezj
11-05-2013, 11:29 AM
i have changed my usb/serial com port to 1, it complained that there was something else allocated to it but i did it anyway and looked in evoscan and only com 8 is selectable in the wideband connection list. so that might have done it.
when i plug my usb/serial cable in to any one of my 4 USB ports now i get the option to choose,
com1 in the first usb port
com1, com 9 in the second usb port
com2 in the third usb port
com2 in the forth usb port

so just to double check i swapped the allowcated com port back to com 18 in device manager
and the following happened
when i plug my usb/serial cable in to any one of my 4 USB ports now i get the option to choose,
com1 in the first usb port
com1, com 9 in the second usb port
com1, com 8 in the third usb port
com2 in the forth usb port

which is all a bit odd. maybe it was just the currept drivers, or the fact that i reinstalled evoscan after i installed the USB/serial cable drivers, and evoscan has some built in drivers that it will use over and above any previously installed drivers and they were not the correct one. so uninstalling and reinstalling the usb/serial cable drivers has told evoscan to use the new drivers that had been installed.

i seem to remember an issue with evoscan using it's own drivers in the past, for the AG-com cable install (FTDI) if you connect and install drivers for vag-com cable then install evoscan, evoscan will over write the vag-com drivers with its own drivers that don't work. and you have to uninstall the vag-cam cable drivers in device manager and reinstall the correct drivers.

maybe this is what happened to the usb/serial drivers.

i will have to go out and try it on the car now.

thanks for you help guys , i might need some more i the future, on the subject but in the nicest possible way i hope not.
Cheers

fassi1
11-05-2013, 11:36 AM
Good you got it sorted, well done Dave.

Davezj
11-05-2013, 01:25 PM
well i can confirm, that i am now able to log the AFR, i think in the end it was the driver issue.

time for some proper log runs, being able to log AFR vs boost, with knock, plus other perameters.

fassi1
11-05-2013, 01:41 PM
Good stuff. Hope you gonna share the results of your logging with us.

Davezj
11-05-2013, 06:41 PM
most difinitely, not sure how good it will be though.

i think i will be aiming for 11.5:1 at WOT to stay just on the safe side of 12.0 - 12.5;1, i am using keneths 1.03 rom as a base so it has extranded fuel and ignition maps, the top end is just a straight copy of the normal 200% load coloumn in the standard maps so the 200 load , 220 240 260 280 and 400 load coloumns are all the same, so there is lots of room to play with, i am only hitting 240 load cells max (1.5 Bar) so i might rescale the upper area and make the scale incraments 10 load each instead of 20 load. i only hit 240 load when my EBC can't hold back the boost when in 4th and 5th when i go to WOT at about 3000 rpm.

i need to set myself up with set of standard logging runs that will show up any short falls in the tune.
e.g. idle from cold until engine gets to say 85Deg C
3rd gear pull from 3000 rpm to 7000 rpm
4th gear pull from 3000 rpm to 6000 rpm
5th gear pull from 3000 rpm to 5000 rpm
cruise at 60mph

fassi1
11-05-2013, 07:20 PM
Just try to cover whole range of rpm and load, more more driving and logging more valuable data you will get.