PDA

View Full Version : vents

Scanny
30-05-2012, 12:21 PM
with 2 cars to play with i am looking at custom vents. tuning part suppliers seem to advise on an inlet behing the manifold and certain members here think that the rear turbo needs some cooling so i am thinking of a meshed cut out near the front of the bonnet with a hidden plate to run rainwater to the front and an aftermarket stick on vent which points rearward to prevent air coming in that way. i am also considering a cold air feed working with a custom heat shield if i opt against putting a standard air box back in to replace the pod that is currently fitted

i also have a couple of wings to utilise if i wish so is there any advantage to cutting vents into them? cold air feed would be the obvious choice but as i wont be moving the battery, this isnt really an option.

the overall design is to force let air in and allow hot air to escape but without looking like someone has taken an angle grinder to the car when they were drunk

SteveH
30-05-2012, 12:35 PM
I'm thinking of putting some raisers on to lift the rear of the bonnet. Hopefully releasing all that hot air.

Scanny
30-05-2012, 12:40 PM
i did read an old post that suggest removing the rubber strip at the rear to help

SteveH
30-05-2012, 12:45 PM
yeah i read that, i quite like the raised bonnet look to.

Scanny
30-05-2012, 12:53 PM
i would prefer a CF bonnet but as they are like the objects that drop from a rocking horses rectum, the VR4 will be having my FL bonnet, bumper, grille, sideskirts and spats. the bonnet and possibly front wings are a blank canvas though which is why i am asking about this now. no point in spraying and fitting then removing again to add venting

how does raising the bonnet work with regards to how it currently sits next to the wings, not to mention the different angle to the catch at the front?

SteveH
30-05-2012, 01:11 PM
No idea as i haven't had a good look yet. My rather poor grasp of vents is they are more about getting air out, i will be running ducting from the front bumper for cold air intake.

Scanny
30-05-2012, 01:22 PM
http://www.torquecars.com/tuning/bonnet-intake-vents.php

andyleaves
30-05-2012, 01:26 PM
When you raise the rear of the bonnet, you are allowing hot air to escape from the rear of the engine bay.

This hot air is replaced with cold air being forced in the front end... Obvisouly for this to be effective you should really have more cold air entering the front otherwise there is no point reaslly doing this.
Sort of a first in first out scenario!!!!

I always look at cars with bonnet risers, and to me they always look like they have had a front end bash!

I have thought baout putting a scoop in, but this then increases drag.
Ideally you want venting in the top rear of the boonet to alow hot air release. So if you could imagine a series of vent by the wiper jets...

Just my two pence worth...

SteveH
30-05-2012, 01:39 PM
i guess on our cars you have quite a large intake area intercooler wise so nothing to do there plus cold intake is easily achieved through the front aswell. So other than vents to release air at the rear of the bonnet i guess other vents are purely asthetic? On the other hand i really like the Nismo vents just for pure aggresive looks.

Scanny
30-05-2012, 01:40 PM
thats why i dont want a scoop Andy. they are too scoobyish anyway! i want to keep it subtle but functional without sacrificing air flow over the car

Scanny
10-06-2012, 10:18 PM
after a few days with the car i am now looking at the issue of heat again, especially as it has a induction kit with no heat shield or air feed. with the heat being transferred into the cabin, i can only assume that there is massive temperatures under the bonnet which is unacceptable. it cant be healthy for the engine, never mind performance. i really need a feed to the induction pod which is situated right in front of the MAF with no funnel or air box left. i am thinking of replacing the funnel from the V6 and putting a vent in the bonnet with a pipe feeding more cold air to the induction kit

aboo
10-06-2012, 11:12 PM
It is well documented that it gets very hot in our engine bay's. The V6 snorkel will not fit the VR4 but I would highly recommend you get rid of that pod filter & co back to the standard set up with good air filter/yes

Scanny
11-06-2012, 05:53 AM
one WTB post coming up lol i have a K&N filter in the V6 that i can use.

jjayokocha
14-06-2012, 09:26 PM
I had the raisers on the Starlets bonnet, just be prepared for absolutely everyone on the road telling you the bonnet is open :)

I got the old hoover hose cut in 2 there last sunday and cut 2 holes in the bottom of the snorkal and fed them down to the mesh in the front bumper

VR457
14-06-2012, 11:39 PM
Davezj suggested heat wrapping the front part of the Y pipe because of the amount of heat the fans put onto it.....

andyleaves
15-06-2012, 08:31 AM
As Andy said unless you do a batt to boot thing, dump the pod get a standard airbox and a good panel filter...
They work better anyway...

Scanny
15-06-2012, 05:56 PM
already buying a standard box and HKS filter. i have a K&N in the V6 but the funnel doesnt fit