PDA

View Full Version : Is it bad if this falls off while I'm driving?

_simon_
23-12-2004, 11:09 PM
Today I had the rather disturbing experience of hearing a woosh, kind of how I image an external blow off valve would sound, but I aint got one, followed by my car loosing power and stalling on a bridge!. Yes bridges are wonderful places to break down (esp of Christmas eve), people just look at you like "hey moron why have you stoped on a bridge?" Actually people aren't that bad, someone stopped as I'd just opened the bonnet to ask if I'd like to be towed off the bridge. He then offered to tow me home which was even nicer.

Anyway when I got back home and opened up the bonnet I was greated with this (easier to take a picture than explain in words :) )

Is it bad if that pipe comes off say when you've just accelerated away from a set of traffic lights and reached about 80Km?

_simon_
23-12-2004, 11:14 PM
Oh, yeah, its it possible to overtighten the criclip (I think that what they're called)
It just seems to keep going???

Legnum Boy
23-12-2004, 11:51 PM
:rolleyes5

Thats the hose coming from the rear turbo, to the intercooler.
Not heard of these blowing off a VR4 before, but does happen quite often on certain Nissans.
Not harmful, as such, just meant that your rear turbo was blowing into the engine bay, and the front turbo was blowing out the hole left, and not building any boost pressure.
As for tightness of the circlip, best seal is one that don't blow back off again - without crushing any pipework, is my guess.... :laugh:

-LegnumVR4-
24-12-2004, 06:51 AM
That clip looks tight enough to me. The clips grooves will let go before u crush the metal pipe but i would be careful not to tighten them up to much as u can start to cut into the rubber hose.

simpsonm
24-12-2004, 10:57 AM
That particular clip looks like a cheap kind, it looks like it has slits rather than grooves. The slit clips (oops) are far weaker when tightening up than the other sort. B&Q sell the stronger type, I found this when putting my air filter on, the clip provided was the sort you have there and when under pressure it snapped off.

Big Ian
24-12-2004, 12:07 PM
:rolleyes: i'm with simpsonm on that clip,if it blew off i'd change the clip your one may be weak?

pezza
13-01-2005, 02:39 AM
Just got back from a midnight burn in the motor with a pal who has a FQ340...

Hmmm cold dense air on a winters nite, nothing like it and the engine was lovin' it until I got the same certain whooshing sound heavy steering and stalling ( as described in the first post in this thread) after coming of a huge roundabout at 60 odd :eek:

Then it was that orrible silence except for the late nite debate on MW radio...and the dash lights coming on as the car drifted to a halt by the roadside. The car would start momentarily and die almost immediately... I thought I knackered something good and proper... pulling the bonnet catch, getting out the car and lifting the bonnet expecting the worst was not an enjoyable experience :uhoh2:

The hose for the piping to the rear turbo had worked itself loose??? and was hanging off! :rolleyes5 I had tools to fix it to the metal piping and tightened it up again, but my heart wass in my mouth....

The hose either worked itself loose or was not done up tightly after the belt service two weeks ago maybe....

Considering the *enthusiastic* driving I had been doing seconds before it was fortunate that the pipe did not come off then .....!!!

You can probably imagine that the drive home after that incident was tense :|

simpsonm
13-01-2005, 10:31 AM
The air intake pipe at the other side of the engine bay is one to look for also. Its the black plastic pipe that connects to the intake manifold. This has a rubber seal that is fastened to the manifild, mine split and came off after around 52000 miles on the clock. This stops you from going above 40mph and you here a loud hissing noise. Just thought I'd pass that one on, that cost bout £60 for the part from Mits.

Cheers

Mick

pezza
13-01-2005, 10:42 AM
The air intake pipe at the other side of the engine bay is one to look for also. Its the black plastic pipe that connects to the intake manifold. This has a rubber seal that is fastened to the manifild, mine split and came off after around 52000 miles on the clock. This stops you from going above 40mph and you here a loud hissing noise. Just thought I'd pass that one on, that cost bout £60 for the part from Mits.

Cheers

Mick

Thanks Mick,

I will pop the bonnet and see if I can locate that one..

As soon as the power cut, I was thinking pound signs :dozey:

Were you hammering along at the time too when the seal split?

Cheers

P

simpsonm
13-01-2005, 11:01 AM
I was accelerating hard on the motorway. I papped myself when this happened, plus embarrassed due to being overtaken by a fiat chicky**** whatever its called.

Got the AA man out and he spotted it straight away, I totally missed it when looking for it myself.

Unfortunately if this one goes they don't stock it locally and has to be imported. I managed to reclamp it back on and just took it easy until the part came. Will get a piccie of it at lunch if I remember.

Mick

pezza
13-01-2005, 11:45 AM
Cheers Mick,

I bet you saved a fortune in petrol until you got the new piece then!

Hmm, this surely cant be an excuse to think about more robust piping.. can it? :lipsrseal

I just read the cusco piping thread :thinking:

Polabear
13-01-2005, 04:40 PM
Coming home from dropping the g/f off the night before my first club meet at the pod after buying my Legnum last year, driving along the seafront at bout 1 in the morning went to overtake a cab and POP...Bthurrrrrr...nothing,,,, nada...could start the car and she ran for a few seconds then cut out, managed to get it into a hotel carpark, lifted bonnet.. nothing .. no obvious signs of anything amiss....:sad3: , yeah you got it..DING!!!! loadsa ££££££££££££ flashed before my eyes.. then I looked down with my little keyring light and saw it.......my bloody dump valve dangling on its control pressure hose,(had a new one fitted that day) apprentice got his arris hoofed on the monday.......:whip: and all for the sake of having a bloody 5p in my pocket to redo the hose clip I had to call breakdown.

Well after about 2 hours he arrived....(remember what time this is) he pulls in, he gets out I take one look at his truck...a spectacle lift...DOH!!!!!!! you aint towing me anywhere with that chap says I...why not says this rather large grumpy, sleepy scots mech...cos its 4WD say I, Argh Sh!te say's he, anyway when I showed him the problem we were sorted in minutes...bet she goes some say's he, like you wouldn't believe says I, until something drops off in mid flight that is, but yes I can sympathise with anyone who's car just suddenly dies for no reason....with these cars it's rather pants warming to say the least..... :rolleyes5

pezza
13-01-2005, 05:13 PM
Yeh its heart stopping moment when the come on and the steering goes dead heavy... I could barely get the car round 90 degree bend!

Hmm I know I cudnt justify it after this one incident but Pola do you have any
idea how much that custom turbo piping from that other thread would cost to make up? :lipsrseal

Polabear
13-01-2005, 05:42 PM
Yeh its heart stopping moment when the come on and the steering goes dead heavy... I could barely get the car round 90 degree bend!

Hmm I know I cudnt justify it after this one incident but Pola do you have any
idea how much that custom turbo piping from that other thread would cost to make up? :lipsrseal

Havn't heard from Pete yet Pezza, might give him a bell tomorrow...... ;)

_simon_
16-01-2005, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the replies, all my clips look like cheap ones. When my bank account recovers from christmas I'll get some better ones.
I've been a bit paranoid lately every time I hear an unusual noise I pull over and check the pipes :)
The other stink thing about being towed when the engine isn't working is the brakes don't seem to work too well :)

Physician
16-01-2005, 02:12 PM
T
The other stink thing about being towed when the engine isn't working is the brakes don't seem to work too well :)

Towed?????

I hope not - you have 4 x 4 and that will seriously screw the drive up. :sad3:

Polabear
16-01-2005, 03:53 PM

TOWED!!!!!!....... :Eek1: :wtf: :scared1: :uhoh: :Eyecrazy:

_simon_
17-01-2005, 07:21 AM
Now I'm a bit worried.
By towed, I mean some guy in his car and a rope to my car.
All four wheels where still on the ground, so I'm hoping the towing that screws up your car is when they lift up the car so only two wheels are on the ground.

Every still seems to be working fine :)