PDA

View Full Version : Viper Smart Start

Nick Mann
04-06-2012, 03:44 PM
It looks like the Viper Smart Start system has made it to the UK....

http://www.securemycar.co.uk/5701v.html

I've just sent them a quotation request, but I'm not expecting it to be cheap. Interestingly, it looks like you can combine the smart start system with a cat 1 approved alarm. So insurance companies should be happy with it too?

I like the idea that I can interact with the car using my phone, including lock/unlock/lights/windows but also GPS location. If it ever did get stolen, the alarm should potentially let me know over the pager unit and my phone and I can then track the cars location via GPS. I know in the USA the higher end pager alarms are $500ish and the smart start module is $300ish. And then there is a subscription so the car can communicate with your phone. I'm still interested though!

One other thing that keeps nagging at me is that there are alarms with serial interfaces out there, surely an in car pc could have some kind of pre-pay/contract modem and effectively do the same thing?

Kryton
04-06-2012, 03:56 PM
Interesting....

Colin Wiltshire
04-06-2012, 04:04 PM
Looks good

sampsulo
04-06-2012, 04:49 PM
very nice toy!

wintertidenz
04-06-2012, 09:09 PM
You could use an old Nokia phone (if they still work over there) and a serial connection to the PC to track it - but I would personally go for a Raspberry Pi, with USB -> Serial and a 3G modem, set up to turn on and report when the ignition is live.

It's an alternative to the Snitch GPS units we can get over here for about $1000 plus a monthly fee for monitoring.

Davezj
04-06-2012, 10:46 PM
you can use any old mobile phone hide it in the car plugged into a changer and use the gps tracker function that the police can get the phone companies to turn on in the event they need to trace someone via there mobile phones.

you can subscribe to a web site that can access the same fuctions the police can get turned on.
there was an article in practicle perfomance on how to do it with links to the web site.
but the accuracy is dependant on mobile phone coverage.

this one of the companies that offer the service.
http://www.followus.co.uk/datasheets/Followus%20Accuracy.pdf

Nick Mann
04-12-2012, 06:19 PM
This is still playing on my mind, especially after Windsors recent loss.

I found a London based company that also do this sytem - their quote is £400 for the GPS/Smart start unit, plus £250 for the alarm. Fitting is quoted at £400, the airtime subscription is £120 a year.

I have also phoned the guys in the link in post one today and spoken at some length with them.

There are some package deals on their site:
http://www.securemycar.co.uk/viper%20remote%20start%20your%20car%20from%20your% 20smart%20phone%20iphone.html

The exact same stuff as the London outfit quoted comes to £800 INSTALLED, with a £100 a year airtime subscription. This is their package number 3 on the link above. You can even upgrade to package number 4 for £100, which gives you a very funky LCD screen on the fob with better feedback from the car.

The company is based in Bristol, I think, but installation in Redditch is included in that price. They have said that group buys don't tend to work so well, but if a few of us sign up at the same time they will do sensor upgrades for us.....

Anyone else interested? I'm not sure I will do this before Christmas, but it is on my list of things to do. My car is becoming unreplaceable to me so I really want to try and prevent it being taken!

elnevio
05-12-2012, 03:15 AM
It was also Windsor that linked to this - and I am giving serious consideration to getting: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tracker-Vehicle-Theft-Protection-System/dp/B003XDN58K/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_1_0/279-5273595-6572747

Just need to get a pay as you go SIM, and that's it. Well, plus fitting. But that shouldn't be so hard! I was looking at wiring it into the fuel pump power feed, so that I can switch that off if the car's been nicked. Although given that it only requires a text message, I'd 'deactivate' the fuel pump every time I left the car!

scott.mohekey
05-12-2012, 06:29 AM
I work for a company that provides this service to fleets. You'd be surprised how much overhead the retail market are putting on it..

John TheAntique
05-12-2012, 09:32 AM
Has anyone asked Sky if these would reduce insurance premiums?

Gingerfish
05-12-2012, 11:43 AM
I have a cat1 alarm immobiliser on my Leggy and I would hate to lose it, but there must be cheaper ways of ensuring that your motor can't go "walkabout"?! Even if it's just for your own piece of mind.

I like the fuel pump kill switch idea. What about installing some kind of switch or leaver somewhere hidden on the car that totally de-activates a vital component to stop it from being hi-jacked. Obviously, you wouldn't want to tell anyone!

horndog
05-12-2012, 01:52 PM
I think these are usefull bits of kit, but the clifford blackjack ( remote engine imobiliser) used to invalidate the thatcham approval if activated - I think a chat to the insurance company ought to be done before fitting

Also activating the tracker on my car put the premium up by about £45 although after talking to them they couldnt explain and changed there mind

But dont forget the good old stop lock/disklock -

Nick Mann
05-12-2012, 06:22 PM
This obviously isn't a cheap option, but there are some hefty advantages. Being able to check your car remotely, as the system is 2 way. Being able to check the inside temp of the car after you have remote started it. Being able to set a warning speed when you leave it with a garage so your smart phone shows location and speed the moment the guy servicing it decides a speed test is required....

I'm all for getting cheap options, but they need to work properly. The pay as you go SIM running out of credit the day before it is nicked, or it just not communicating when it should. To replace my car would cost me 7 or 8 grand plus a lot of time so I want to have decent security.

Scanny
08-12-2012, 03:27 PM
if i am understanding this right, you need a mobile phone constantly kept in the car and with a constant internet connection, which can be pricey. im on payg with tmobile and pay £10 for unlimited txts and internet which sounds ideal for what you want for this system

personally if i was going to upgrade from thatcham cat 1 to tracker i would want a built in engine cut out to make it worth my while. i dont want my car used in a chase, i want it tracked and found where it is first tracked

Wodjno
08-12-2012, 04:20 PM
I recently purchased 1 of these. Though it hasn't turned up yet! Maybe it has been stolen?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003XDN58K/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Kryton
08-12-2012, 04:47 PM
Could still be tempted by this in the new year

Nick Mann
08-12-2012, 07:31 PM
I'd be interested to hear from anyone that has tried a cheaper alternative to see what you think of the box. For me, the smart start GPS is buying a product that will give me peace of mind along with cool gadgetry and constantly developing software.

One thing the guy said to me was that he has had money off/refunds twice since fitting the system to his M3. He sets the system to alert him if the car exceeds 30mph when he leaves it with any garage. At one service he recorded the cars location and speed at 120mph whilst with a garage. On another going far too quickly again. On both occasions he demanded to speak to a manager and got significant money off.

Nick Mann
08-12-2012, 07:32 PM
Oh, Chris, it will be the new year before I do anything too. I'll shout you if and before I commit to anything!

Kryton
08-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Cool cheers

Gingerfish
09-12-2012, 11:08 AM
[QUOTE=Nick Mann;731401]At one service he recorded the cars location and speed at 120mph whilst with a garage. /QUOTE]

Not easy to service a car doing 120mph, I can imagine. :upsidedow

Wodjno
09-12-2012, 07:54 PM
I'd be interested to hear from anyone that has tried a cheaper alternative to see what you think of the box. For me, the smart start GPS is buying a product that will give me peace of mind along with cool gadgetry and constantly developing software.

One thing the guy said to me was that he has had money off/refunds twice since fitting the system to his M3. He sets the system to alert him if the car exceeds 30mph when he leaves it with any garage. At one service he recorded the cars location and speed at 120mph whilst with a garage. On another going far too quickly again. On both occasions he demanded to speak to a manager and got significant money off.

I'll let you know when and if mine arrives? Apparently they tried to deliver it on October 25th and left a "Not in" card! I never recieved such a thing! Royal mail only hold parcels for upto 18 days, then send them back to the shipper. I'll take a ride down the sorting office tomorrow to see if it's there!

exevoowner
13-12-2012, 01:39 AM
I like the idea of a app that tracks my car and also interacts with it mmm think a search is in order lol

SGHOM
13-12-2012, 05:23 PM
It's all well & good tracking your car after it's been stolen.

What about preventing it being stolen? :stop: There are devices out there ;)

Nick Mann
13-12-2012, 08:43 PM
The viper aims to do that too! What did yours have on it when it was nicked?

SGHOM
13-12-2012, 09:17 PM
The viper aims to do that too! What did yours have on it when it was nicked?

/nag /nag

An auto arming pin lock will make any alarm irrelevent

exevoowner
13-12-2012, 09:52 PM
Just took a look at the clifford /viper smart alarm with app that allows you put a primitter around your car and were abouts lol wounder if you can add to the app so if the alams ativated you can deactivate the engine?

Nick Mann
13-12-2012, 11:06 PM
/nag /nag

An auto arming pin lock will make any alarm irrelevent

Surely that is the same as any self arming immobiliser??