View Full Version : Eonon in car entertainment

coney
05-06-2012, 01:31 PM
hi all just wanting your opinion's on

http://eonon.co.uk/GPS-Navigation.html

cheers

peter thomson
05-06-2012, 02:03 PM
Used to have one but wouldn't buy again.

Spirit
05-06-2012, 04:22 PM
Pretty sure that's the make that was in Wayne's (White Lightning) Evo 6 TME when he got it.....and I think his response would be the same as Peter's above.

peter thomson
05-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Pretty sure that's the make that was in Wayne's (White Lightning) Evo 6 TME when he got it.....and I think his response would be the same as Peter's above.

I agree , i remember Wayne posting about it as well

Kryton
05-06-2012, 06:18 PM
That looks cheap for something of that spec. I would say too cheap. I know it's not always a case that you get what you pay for but I wouldn't expect anything decent for under £250 with those features

coney
06-06-2012, 11:42 AM
i agree with you all for to many gadgets ect for the price plus the icons look real tacky!

Any recommendation's? my budget is a couple of grand, i don't know whether to go for a complete custom install but i don't want it to look like something off pimp my ride, or just replacing them all with some good component speakers?

orionn2o
06-06-2012, 12:27 PM
I thought Kenwood did one which wasnt too bad. Not sure if their current range still includes it.

swinks
06-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Eonon's and other China market 2din have very poor IF (Intermediate frequency) setup based on cheap and poor quality chip. Hence that radio reception is quite poor, the same applies to DVB-T.
Here in UK there is very high electromagnetic noise (from GSM, wifi, monitoring systems, DAB, FM, DVB-T, etc.) unlike Asian market where you don't need such sophisticated RF and IF set up to get good reception of radio signal.
Anyway, to cut long story short, I'd rather recommend more expensive Kenwood or Pioneer kits.

wintertidenz
07-06-2012, 10:26 AM
One upside of the Eonons is that they are running Windows CE 6. You may be able to get a much better front-end running on it like Centrafuse or Riderunner.

coney
07-06-2012, 11:47 AM
i've been told alpine's are the daddy's off quite a few mates?

swinks
07-06-2012, 01:38 PM
i've been told alpine's are the daddy's off quite a few mates?
Yes, IMO the best possible kit.
But to get that combo: "radio, DVB-T, sat-nav, mp3, iPod, video" in Alpine set equals effin a lot of money. For half of that price you will get very decent Pioneer or Kenwood.

elnevio
07-06-2012, 02:38 PM
All that same Alpine kit came in my VR-4 from Japan. /yes :afro:

All specced to Japan though, so useless over here!

I don't know what equivalents are available in the UK though. I do have UK Alpine head unit, iPod unit, speakers, amp and sub - and I'm very pleased with all of it.

Kryton
07-06-2012, 03:01 PM
Yes, IMO the best possible kit.
But to get that combo: "radio, DVB-T, sat-nav, mp3, iPod, video" in Alpine set equals effin a lot of money. For half of that price you will get very decent Pioneer or Kenwood.

Alpine are really good but I would stay away from any Kenwood head units. They are good as far as sound & features but they never last. The amount I have got through under warranties is crazy. JVC are also good & seasonable value IMO

swinks
07-06-2012, 03:26 PM
...but I would stay away from any Kenwood head units. They are good as far as sound & features but they never last.
Didn't know that.
Just based on general reputation of Kenwood products from CB and Ham market.

Kryton
07-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Yeah, it is a common problem with any Kenwood with removable face. I think its down to how they re-attach, the repetitive movement on the right of the joining contact works loose. It is especially bad with the flip/reverse/motorised ones. Shame really as I do like them

wintertidenz
08-06-2012, 07:32 AM
Alpine gear is nice, but with Pioneer you seem to get a lot more for your money. I had the P80RS a while back, and any equivalent Alpine unit was about $1000 PLUS the processor (another $800).

BraindG
08-06-2012, 07:49 AM
All specced to Japan though, so useless over here!

You mean cos of the frequencies?

http://nzlamb.wordpress.com/2010/07/02/a-guide-to-hacking-japanese-car-radios/

Nick Mann
08-06-2012, 10:48 AM
I'd happily recommend pioneer stuff. We have had a couple of Pioneer head units over the years, my current one is well over 10 years old and whilst it's features are lacking for modern stuff the sound quality is still superb, everything still works flawlessly and it doesn't look anywhere near as old as it is.

coney
08-06-2012, 12:09 PM
Right so i don't wanna be looking at kenwood & alpine, i'm glad panasonic has been thrown in! everything i've owned from digital ameras, blueray players & plasma tv's & they've always been spot on!

Have you all got standard speakers as well?

swinks
08-06-2012, 01:13 PM
IIRC, I have rear made by Alpine and front by Vibe (Slick series). I'm not a sound fanatic, but that setup works for me really well. IMHO, good value for money.

wintertidenz
09-06-2012, 09:39 AM
I'm running a full custom 3-way setup at the front, but I've found that the higher end Pioneer component sets and the Rainbows are nice.

coney
09-06-2012, 12:14 PM
I'm after a system that can bang with the best of em, i like my old scool uprising & jungle so base is a necessity on the other hand i want something thats crystal clear for normal music