PDA

View Full Version : Oh fork!

adam_shaw
24-12-2004, 02:18 PM
Driving back from Germany yesterday, stopped for my now religious 200 mile fill up at a shell station. Got out and car absolutely stank of oil.

Bonnet up, nothing to be seen. Checked all the levels (engine/box) and all seem to be fine.

A little worried when I get back so in to the local dealer today.

"Mr Shaw, would you like to take a look..."

Dirty great slick of oil from the engine bay, right back to the tailpipe, down the center of the car.

They think it's the rear oil seal (Ignorant I know, but what is this - I'm guessing where the propshaft heads to the back of the car?)

So back to the dealer on wednesday for (I hope) a fix

I love warranties, and I'm still in the first 30 days....

Hopefully all be sorted, I'll keep ya posted.

A

pezza
24-12-2004, 03:53 PM
Bugger...

Good Luck for wednesday,

I hope they can fix and return your car quickly without any dramas..

How much mileage have you clocked up so far?

craig-1
24-12-2004, 04:38 PM
i know how u feel ive just had the torque converter done on mine after a new box was put in on feb, was thinking of getting rid of it but now its working again its runnin shweet as a nun and i think ill be keeping it cos at the end of the day its one of the smoothest running cars ive owned:D

adam_shaw
24-12-2004, 04:42 PM
Cheers bud. I hope so to, as for mileage....

...well I've done 3.5K in 20 days! :rolleyes5 Damn, that's nearly a service interval.

This was mostly driving to and from East Germany (sorry, the new German states) over a couple of weekends with the girlfriend delivering xmas presents and catching up with (her) relatives.

Cool tho, cruising up the A2 at 140mph, "nur fliegen ist besser"

Roll on wednesday, in fairness my dealings with mitsi warranties have always been good, so I'm expecting a quick, easy outcome.

adam_shaw
24-12-2004, 04:45 PM
i know how u feel ive just had the torque converter done on mine after a new box was put in on feb, was thinking of getting rid of it but now its working again its runnin shweet as a nun and i think ill be keeping it cos at the end of the day its one of the smoothest running cars ive owned:D

It seems to be running fine, and I've still got the kind of grin it takes a good mortician to remove, just the smell of oil burning on the exhaust pipe.

And this oil has to be coming from some place?

We'll see.

A

Roadrunner
24-12-2004, 07:35 PM
just the smell of oil burning on the exhaust pipe
Look on the bright side - it'll stop the underside of your car from rusting! :D

adam_shaw
24-12-2004, 09:40 PM
and it leaves the driveway with a 'visiting relative' proof sheen... just watch them glide away down the hill :-b

A

adam_shaw
29-12-2004, 10:03 PM
Took the car into the dealer today.

Got a new colt courtesy car, quite a fun little motor actually...

Verdict is it could be the engine output oil seal (going into the box) or the gearbox input oil seal, so they're gonna change both.

Should get the car back tomorrow evening (optimistic I think?) or Friday morning at the latest.

I'm well chuffed with the service thus far.

Grovsenor Mitsubishi, Tunbridge Wells :thumbsup:

adam_shaw
31-12-2004, 05:47 PM
Well got my baby back today, they finished the job about 10 minutes before they were due to close.

No oil leak now, but some :dunce: leant on the rocker cover and cracked it :furious3:

So they need to hook me up with a new one of those....

Sometimes it never stops, might see if I can score one at a bargain price (I remember the great is it £20 or £200 debate...) and sort it myself.

It is good to be back in something that can go uphill as well as down.

Happy New Year to all,

A