PDA

View Full Version : No Drive.

OnAmish
06-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Had my ’97 VR4 awhile now. Still learning and reading the resources section but have a problem come to light again…

Afew months ago in Drive, stopped at junction, N, back to D wouldn’t move. Read on here so changed n flushed (11 litres) with amsoil atf. 800 miles or so later brings me to today. Stopped at traffic lights, N, then D no movement again. Eventually got going through combo of R, N, R and turning engine off.

Checked level of ATF when reached my destination today, seems correct.

Any ideas please? I’m not a mechanic but try n figure out problem before I ask my mechanic mate to fix. He loves seeing me come round the corner in this car!! :tiny:

adaxo
06-06-2012, 12:53 PM
May cable/linkage needs adjustment on gbox side

Nick Mann
06-06-2012, 03:35 PM
I'd also check the multiplugs on the top of the box. It sounds like something daft rather than something mechanical.

Davezj
06-06-2012, 05:14 PM
i would second both of the above.

when i swapped my auto box i didn't align the gear selector mechanisium and it was touch an go if Drive would be selected.

also electrical milti plug are a good bet also.

OnAmish
06-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. It's no good when a Learner driver beats you at the lights!

elnevio
06-06-2012, 06:32 PM
/haz :embarasse

Yes, take the air snorkel off, and also the soft intercooler pipe, that should hopefully give you enough access. There is the quarter-circle seashell shaped gear selector there, that should be obvious. Not sure where the adjustment is, but it would be a case of slightly lengthening/shortening the length of the cable so that the selector sits dead central in every gear selection. There are also three plugs on top of the gearbox - I think you should be able to reach all three - which are definitely worth checking to see if any need reseating.

aboo
06-06-2012, 06:37 PM
You can also check if its lining up properly with the engine off by getting someone sitting in the car with the ignition turned on, foot on the brake & that will allow them to move the gear lever through the gears.

Davezj
06-06-2012, 06:38 PM
i think the gear selector on top of the gear box is also called inhibitor switch.
there are how to guide and or how to threads on setting it up correctly.

it is a case of removing the battery and stick it in Neutral 'N' and align the selector with the alignment marker and adjust the cable through the hole in the battery tray.
well thaat is from memory, it might be a different gear, it is possible for the cable to become loose, and need resetting and tightening.

horndog
06-06-2012, 11:13 PM
AT Workshop Manual (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?5507-Galant-Workshop-Manual-PDF-s-x-26&p=619056&viewfull=1#post619056)

Checkout page 49 here

OnAmish
07-06-2012, 07:29 AM
Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated.

Try n get it sorted in next few weeks.