PDA

View Full Version : Do I need the engine under tray ?

KiwiTT
06-06-2012, 09:05 PM
Under the engine bay there is a flimsy piece of plastic material about 1m x 1m that is literally falling to pieces. I suspect it is used to smooth under car airflow. It has been repaired a number of times and will need to be again. Should I just get it removed and be done with it ?

EDIT: A quick search says no.

SGHOM
06-06-2012, 09:09 PM
yes !! :)

aboo
06-06-2012, 09:09 PM
Just remove it. the one I got has sat in the garage for over a year.

Kryton
06-06-2012, 09:13 PM
I have 2 at this end, neither on the car. Not really sure I haven't put one back on but they are doing a tip top job of stopping drafts it the garage when the front door is open :)

KiwiTT
07-06-2012, 05:38 AM
I got it removed as it was broken and getting a quote for a replacement

Patryn999
07-06-2012, 05:47 AM
Welp.

I've never had one, haha. So from my point of view not necessary?

sampsulo
07-06-2012, 07:02 AM
I wanna make a steel one. As we are not graced with smooth roads all round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarkSanne
07-06-2012, 08:01 AM
I got one and after 2 years of waiting for it to be installed, then finally did so, kept it on for a few moths and then took it off for an oil change and some servicing and couldn't be bothered to put it back again.

Nick Mann
07-06-2012, 08:07 AM
I suspect (but don't know for sure) that it helps keep engine bay temps down when on the move, by making sure the air moving through the engine bay exits at the back and not at the front. For that reason alone I am keeping mine on.

MarkSanne
07-06-2012, 09:58 AM
For that exact reason I bought it. Hard to say if there's truth to it. Although... I recently bought a dual-input temp. gauge to be used with comparing stock and aftermarket intercooler setups (input IC airtemp + output IC airtemp). I might first try to use it for measuring temps in the front and in the rear of the engine bay and then with / without the tray to see what it really does.

Anderz
07-06-2012, 12:09 PM
Thats why I bought mine aswell (complete with the side bits infront ot the wheels :) )
And of course it acts as a shield for water/dirt and MOT men ;)

Oblivion
08-06-2012, 11:27 AM
For that exact reason I bought it. Hard to say if there's truth to it. Although... I recently bought a dual-input temp. gauge to be used with comparing stock and aftermarket intercooler setups (input IC airtemp + output IC airtemp). I might first try to use it for measuring temps in the front and in the rear of the engine bay and then with / without the tray to see what it really does.

Would be very interesting to see it actually measured and what the difference is.

CANDEE
08-06-2012, 11:42 AM
The cold spec cars came out with the undertrays std... They can help keeping road grime out of the engine bay....

My leggie didnt have one and the bay was dirty as... My Galant has one, and is only dirty due to getting taken down a 20k wet gravel road the week after the rally cars did...

aboo
08-06-2012, 05:47 PM
I suspect (but don't know for sure) that it helps keep engine bay temps down when on the move, by making sure the air moving through the engine bay exits at the back and not at the front. For that reason alone I am keeping mine on.That's interesting Nick I never knew that. I may fit it then/yes

jjayokocha
09-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Mine doesnt have one :(

KiwiTT
24-06-2012, 09:18 PM
Going to put second-hand one on ~$100.

fassi1
26-06-2012, 07:04 AM
Mine is missing too and thought if standard Galant under tray will fit Legnum VR4?
I need to get hold of one as it will keep the engine bay nice and clean.

Anderz
26-06-2012, 09:00 AM
Thats why I bought mine aswell (complete with the side bits infront ot the wheels :) )
And of course it acts as a shield for water/dirt and MOT men ;)

The side bits fits but they are meant for NA bumper, with the VR-4 bumper there is a gap in the front between bumper and sidebits