PDA

View Full Version : 6A13TT AT gear box swap Manual

`TiTo
08-06-2012, 02:15 PM
An AT especific mechanic told me my AT clutch is gone Galant VR4 98', and to replace it, it will cost 2000U$ service including, i would like to know if there is some Manual gearbox thats plug n play for this engine from anothers mitsubishi cars, i believe replacing another one could be cheaper from a mechanic of my trust, actually i just can use R, 1st and 2nd on tiptronic mode. Please help guys

Nick Mann
08-06-2012, 02:35 PM
The Evo 5 speed box is a close match to the VR4 box.

`TiTo
08-06-2012, 08:27 PM
The Evo 5 speed box is a close match to the VR4 box.
should i have to change the ECU too ? is RVR 4x4 the same ?

Nick Mann
08-06-2012, 08:36 PM
Don't know on the RVR. You don't need to change the ecu, but if your car has traction control you will have silly issues if you don't always turn it off.

Gly
09-06-2012, 12:06 AM
apparently the evo 4-6 box is a close match to bolting up, but it will need to have holes added/moved to bolt on,
none of these changes have ever been photographed or documented, so will be a fair bit of trial and error,

also i was under the belief that the starter is located differently on the evo engine so that may be another issue you would have to deal with, (but not 100% sure one this any may just be the non turbos 4Gxx that had this)

what does work thou,
a 6a13TT manual gear box,
or
a evo 4-6 gearbox with the 6a13tt gearbox bell housing fitted

you will still need to get manual shifter cables from a vr4,
i beleive you can use the pedal box and cylinders/lines from any manual 8th gen legnum/galant

also keep in mind the evo final drive is a fair bit shorter than the vr4, so may find yourself changing gears quite quickly/often

Adam.Findlay
09-06-2012, 02:03 AM
apparently the evo 4-6 box is a close match to bolting up, but it will need to have holes added/moved to bolt on,
none of these changes have ever been photographed or documented, so will be a fair bit of trial and error,

also i was under the belief that the starter is located differently on the evo engine so that may be another issue you would have to deal with, (but not 100% sure one this any may just be the non turbos 4Gxx that had this)

what does work thou,
a 6a13TT manual gear box,
or
a evo 4-6 gearbox with the 6a13tt gearbox bell housing fitted

you will still need to get manual shifter cables from a vr4,
i beleive you can use the pedal box and cylinders/lines from any manual 8th gen legnum/galant

also keep in mind the evo final drive is a fair bit shorter than the vr4, so may find yourself changing gears quite quickly/often

I just did a vr4 box with evo 4 internals mashup to get longer first and second gears but in my travels i noticed. our gearbox is a wm5m1 which is the same code as evo 4-9, late vr4's and late model 4g93t gsr lancers

the internals are all the same im not quite sure if the back half ouf the evo or gsr box has the same mount points as the vr4 box does but i have a evo box at home in bits that i could compare if needed.

the intresting part is our bellhousing has 4g9 stamped on it as the evo one has 4g6
Gly you will probably know that our bell housing has 2 starter motor locations the fron bottom position which our car uses and then there is a top rear position one. because of the 4g9 stamped on the bellhousing i got my girlfriends gsr and checked it out. (although hers is auto) the started on the gsr is in the high back position, then checked the part numbers on the online ASA substitute and confirmed that the 4g93t gearbox is the exact same bellhousing as our cars. they use the same clutch also
so for a manual conversion you could just use a 4g93t lancer gsr (not evo) gearbox.

`TiTo
14-06-2012, 03:51 PM
i think im really screwed, does really exist original 8g VR4 Manual ? anybody please tell me where to find one, i found in my region a EVO 7 gearbox the guy wants 5000U$ /bananaroc

Wodjno
14-06-2012, 04:23 PM
I have a Fully functional Auto/Tiptronic Gearbox here if you decide to replace with another Auto Gearbox.

Cheers

Wodj

Humpty's Revenge
14-06-2012, 04:37 PM
I have a Fully functional Auto/Tiptronic Gearbox here if you decide to replace with another Auto Gearbox.

Cheers

Wodj

That could be an expensive shipment?

Wodjno
15-06-2012, 06:21 AM
That could be an expensive shipment?

Stop Spamming /pan

wintertidenz
16-06-2012, 03:12 AM
You could always get a gearbox shipped from NZ. The manuals are much less common, and shipping would be a lot, but a conversion kit would be about $2000NZD plus shipping.

Remember that it's not just the cost of the box, but everything else to convert it to manual as well.

Adam.Findlay
16-06-2012, 06:02 AM
i know of a manual gearbox for sale here in nz for 600nzd.
and i think @scott.moehekey has an auto that he wants to part ways with.
but as mentioned above shipping to wherever you are would be a killer

`TiTo
28-06-2012, 07:10 PM
someone left a manual gear box for me ???

`TiTo
17-12-2012, 04:45 AM
still looking guys, btw anybody knows a japanese website selling this? i just tryed already google but couldnt found nothing please help

Babylon6
30-12-2012, 01:11 AM
Get it repaired. you can strip the main clutch packs with the engine in situ.

josephsoft20
02-01-2013, 01:51 AM
YO TAMBIEN estoy buscando caja mecanica para mi vr4 del 2001 donde puedo importar una completa o donde puedo conseguir un modelo de mitsubishi que traiga esta caja para adaptarle.
slds.

kares_leni
04-08-2013, 05:34 PM
Hi Adam I have got vr4 with manual g.box and I have a knocking inside of it I dont know what it is wrong with it but I will find out when I open it .
Are you telling if I get gear box from 4g93t lancer gsr will fit on my belhousing where is 2 position for the starter itself it is not gonna be a problem with starter position. any problems with fitting or short gears ?

Adam.Findlay
05-08-2013, 12:13 PM
you can either replace the gearset in its entirety (including centre diff / final drive) with an evo 4-9 gearset. an evo gearbox WILL NOT bolt up to a 6A13TT, only the internals are the same. the casings are different.

or if you wish to replace it completly you can get a 5MT gearbox from a late model CM5A Chassis GSR lancer. as the casings are the same they will bolt straight onto a 6A13TT. NOTE the CD5A GSR gearbox is orientated the other way around. both the VR4 and the CM5A GSR bellhousings have both starter positions. the Lancer uses the upper starter position where the VR4 uses the lower. the thin sheet metal plate that bolts behind the flywheel will block off the upper "lancer" starter position when using it on a VR4.

Im not sure about exact gear ratios however I bet the GSR box has shorter ratios compared to the VR4 therefore greater accleration but less top speed. this would be due to the GSR having vastly less power from factory than the VR4.

kares_leni
05-08-2013, 10:23 PM
Hi Adam you gave me very valuable information 10x for that .
I was thinking the same think about the thin sheet metal plate that bolts behind the flywheel block off the starter position on vr4 but on v6 glanats 2.5l 6a 13 may be they have the same steel plate to cover the transfer box opening it is logic because of same engine I think the box is the same but for front wheel drive which can be transfer to g.box for vr4 4 wheel drive don,t you think? That will be great .
Is it hard to replace the gearset in its entirety from evo 4-9 .just swap it into my g.box case?
And last one what about replacing the gearset from v6 2.5l 6A 13 swap into vr4 g.box case?
Thanks for your answer

Adam.Findlay
06-08-2013, 03:57 AM
I dont understand what you are asking about the steel plate. Just reuse the one thats currently on your engine? Unless its an auto, in that case you need to get a manual VR4 one as the auto ones are different.

to change no its relativly straight forward to swap gearsets over. just follow the steps in the mitsubishi manual
http://www.evoscan.com/manuals/Evo9/GR00000500-22B.pdf

and i cant comment on the non turbo gearset into VR4 case. but I imagine the gears are weaker, I know the transfer cases are smaller