PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - Looking for a Legnum

Sulli
27-12-2004, 11:38 AM
Hello all :)
Have been referred on here by a fellow Scoobynetter, as i'm looking to change my Scooby for a Legnum.
I have a 260 Bhp wagon, which is a great car, but need that little bit more space for the family, and I reckon the Legnum will fit the bill, whilst not losing any performance (Hopefully).
Anyone who can offer any advice on buying, or if you have one for sale, please let me know.
I have read the FAQ, and it looks like I might be better to go for MY98 on??
Couple of questions:
-Are all the Legnum VR4 t/turbos imports?
-Do they all have rear tints as standard?
-Is it safer to go for the manual to avoid any potentially expensive problems with the autobox?
-What insurance group are they? (I recently got a quote for a Forester S Turbo import which was a fair bit more than mine, as it was an import). I currently pay £700p.a. f/comp.
-Why are the only ones on the Autotrader with traders? (Call me daft but I prefer to buy private)

All input appreciated :)

Sulli
28-12-2004, 06:54 PM
http://theogb.com/archive/tumbleweed.gif

Bit quiet here :rolleyes5 Just say hello if you have no comments/advice on buying :rolleyes:

Got a quote on one today from my current insurers, Norwich union Direct, and it's almost double my renewal premium of £579 f/c!!! Apparently a Legnum is Grp 20, as opposed to my Scooby which is a 17 - must be cause the legnum is an import.

Anyway, waiting for a reply from Lifesure for a quote, and if the premium doesn't come down a bit, then i'll have to forget it. :sad3:

Polabear
28-12-2004, 07:21 PM
Hello all :)
Have been referred on here by a fellow Scoobynetter, as i'm looking to change my Scooby for a Legnum.
I have a 260 Bhp wagon, which is a great car, but need that little bit more space for the family, and I reckon the Legnum will fit the bill, whilst not losing any performance (Hopefully).
Anyone who can offer any advice on buying, or if you have one for sale, please let me know.
I have read the FAQ, and it looks like I might be better to go for MY98 on??
Couple of questions:
-Are all the Legnum VR4 t/turbos imports?
-Do they all have rear tints as standard?
-Is it safer to go for the manual to avoid any potentially expensive problems with the autobox?
-What insurance group are they? (I recently got a quote for a Forester S Turbo import which was a fair bit more than mine, as it was an import). I currently pay £700p.a. f/comp.
-Why are the only ones on the Autotrader with traders? (Call me daft but I prefer to buy private)

All input appreciated :)

Hi Sulli and welcome, ok to answer your queries.

!) Yes
2)Yes)
3) Auto (even tho I have a rare manual)
4) Different companies rate differently, but around Groups 17-20
5) They are not always listed through traders, you do get some come up as privates

hope this answers your queries.. ;)

KiwiTT
28-12-2004, 08:02 PM
...Call me daft but I prefer to buy private ...

I suspect most private owners are happy to have one, and will not want to sell them, unless they have to.

Once you get yours you'll know what we mean ?

Sulli
28-12-2004, 08:34 PM
Cheers for the replies.
If I can get a decent insurance quote then i'll probably go ahead with it - fingers crossed.
Any tips on what to look for?
Also, there's a couple on Autotrader - one at AutoCouture in Leicester, and one at Riverdale Motors in Peckham - anyone know them? (hopefully Del Boy doesn't run Riverdale :laugh: )

Spirit
28-12-2004, 08:37 PM
Just popping in to say hi Sulli and good luck with your insurance and the search for a good Numleg ;)

jalford
28-12-2004, 08:40 PM
Got a quote on one today from my current insurers, Norwich union Direct, and it's almost double my renewal premium
I was with Norwich Union with my previous car but switched to Lifesure when I got the Legnum as they were £1000 cheaper. :stunned: Also for some reason Norwich Union had the Legnum as being a higher insurance group than the saloon. :rolleyes5

adam_shaw
28-12-2004, 09:06 PM
I was with Norwich Union with my previous car but switched to Lifesure when I got the Legnum as they were £1000 cheaper. :stunned: Also for some reason Norwich Union had the Legnum as being a higher insurance group than the saloon. :rolleyes5

sorry to go :topic: but as we know, this is because the Legnum is more desirable :rolleyes5

Good luck Sulli

Sulli
28-12-2004, 10:34 PM
Another question.

As they are all Jap imports, are they mapped to run 100RON fuel?
If so, is a remap required (to avoid loads of cost on Octane Booster and/or Det problems)?
Also, do the clocks need changing from Km to Miles?

Cheers :wiggle:

Trow
28-12-2004, 10:48 PM
sorry to go :topic: but as we know, this is because the Legnum is more desirable :rolleyes5

Good luck Sulli

Yeh - I agree,

Insurance here in NZ is so cheap!

I am a 26 year old with a years ban for dangerous driving in the UK!! (I was going a bit quick on my 1200) so am only on a restricted license here in NZ and I pay 900 dollars fully comp - about 300 in proper money am sure it will come down once I have my full license to!

oh an all my mates think am paying thru the nose to!!

adam_shaw
28-12-2004, 10:55 PM
Another question.

As they are all Jap imports, are they mapped to run 100RON fuel?
If so, is a remap required (to avoid loads of cost on Octane Booster and/or Det problems)?
Also, do the clocks need changing from Km to Miles?

Cheers :wiggle:

They need minimum 98, putting in 95 and it goes into safe mode - and you have to reset the ECU when you get some real fuel.

Remap? Not a question I can answer, but the voices in my head say no :)

As for the clocks depends, if the car is UK supplied it will have been converted, and you get a speedo going to 180mph (was 180Kph - the japanese 'limit') if the car was imported later of course the odometer reading could be a combination of Km and Miles.

For the SVA it must be converted. Buy a car that's registered and it's all done.

A

DaveLee71
29-12-2004, 02:01 AM
Hi Sully it's your fellow Scoobynetter Dave.
I got my insurance from Lifesure and it was only a bit more than the Scoob, which it now looks like we might keep as well as the VR-4, just got to get it fixed. So the Mrs, who absolutely loves the Legnum will get that touse the most and I will get to keep the Scoob, best of both worlds really.
Hope you have some luck finding one Sulli, see you on here or Scoobynet.
Did you try Charlesworths?
Dave

Sulli
29-12-2004, 11:21 AM
Hi Dave

I emailed Charlesworths but they haven't got back to me yet.
However, from looking at the FAQ, I think I am going to go for a post MY98 if I can find a good one for the right price (happy for any further comments on what year I should go for).
Charlesworths isn't too far from me, and there are two in Leicester which are also pretty close, so this week I may have a look and a drive and see if I like.

Stu

Sulli
30-12-2004, 12:13 PM
Saw and drove my first Legnum yesterday.

Drove well, couple of minor things wrong, like Sat Nav and folding mirrors didn't work, was a bit tappety - from cold and also when warm! And it was overpriced - £9k for a 96 P reg!!!!

Apart from that, I liked it, and also have got a quote from Lifesure that is more reasonable, so as long as I sell my Scooby, i'm looking for a good Legnum.

Have just spoken to someone with a 2000 W reg, Ralliart imported from new, Galant VR4! Don't know much about these, and the differences. He said it has a full UK history etc, and some Ralliart bits. Can someone let me know about these models, as opposed to the grey imports, and again what I should be looking for, and do I pay a premium for such a model? He is looking for around £12k.

Thanks - all advice much appreciated :)

ritch_w
30-12-2004, 12:36 PM
Saw and drove my first Legnum yesterday.

Drove well, couple of minor things wrong, like Sat Nav and folding mirrors didn't work, was a bit tappety - from cold and also when warm! And it was overpriced - £9k for a 96 P reg!!!!

Apart from that, I liked it, and also have got a quote from Lifesure that is more reasonable, so as long as I sell my Scooby, i'm looking for a good Legnum.

Have just spoken to someone with a 2000 W reg, Ralliart imported from new, Galant VR4! Don't know much about these, and the differences. He said it has a full UK history etc, and some Ralliart bits. Can someone let me know about these models, as opposed to the grey imports, and again what I should be looking for, and do I pay a premium for such a model? He is looking for around £12k.

Thanks - all advice much appreciated :)

on the Legnum £9K is way too much for a P-reg £7.5K for a mega minter!

as for the Ralliart VR4 - this should have a full mitsi history, recaro seats, fogs in rear lights etc quote from here;
http://www.clubvr4.com/index.php?page=buyersguide
"::OFFICIALLY OURS
With the Galant and Legnum VR-4s being brought into the UK on the grey market, the official UK Mitsubishi importers decided to get in on the act, too. Ralliart UK (an entirely separate concern to the Ralliart rally team) began to import cars, converted them for the UK/Euro regulations, and they were then sold through the official Mitsubishi dealer network and carried the extensive manufacturer’s warranty. These are effectively the same as any other grey imports, but have been fully converted to meet UK regulations — and these cars had additional work, such as extra anti-corrosion treatment. Galant VR-4 saloons and estates went on sale for £28,995 in March 1999, and were only available with Recaro sports trim levels and the automatic INVECS-ll five-speed ‘intelligent’ transmission. Not many of these Ralliart UK-converted cars were eventually sold through the official channels; probably no more than 200 in all. It was discontinued in 2002."

I have just bought a 2001 Ralliart VR4 (47K, FSH etc) for £12K so the price is about right, Mill Lane Mitsu have a 2001 ralliart VR4 for £13K
http://www.click4-cars.co.uk/showroom/milllane/index1.htm
dont know if this is the same car? -
http://www.hook.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/usedcars.asp?d=000105

good luck!!

adam_shaw
30-12-2004, 01:25 PM
The Mill Lane (aldershot) could be the same car I saw somewhere around basingstoke (about 10 miles away).

It was also a mauve saloon on a 51 plate.

At the time it was listed as Mill Lane Mitsubishi?

This car was very dissapointing, mouldy carpet and cloth and some cosmetic damage (rubbers on drivers side all gone - life under a chestnut tree)

If it's been valeted and these fixed it could make a very different impression - when I saw it I didn't even want to drive it.

It did have sat nav tho' (VDO MS5500)

Hope this helps,

A

Roadrunner
30-12-2004, 01:29 PM
Galant VR-4 saloons and estates went on sale for £28,995 in March 1999, and were only available with Recaro sports trim levels and the automatic INVECS-ll five-speed ‘intelligent’ transmission.
Hadn't seen this before - not all Ralliart VR-4s had Recaro trim - farmer local to me had a silver UK VR-4 with beige leather ...

http://www.hook.mitsubishi-cars.co....rs.asp?d=000105
... and this one has standard trim - doesn't have Recaros or leather.

adam_shaw
30-12-2004, 01:31 PM
Looked at the other link. That's the car alright. :$

A

Nick VR4
30-12-2004, 02:12 PM
Hadn't seen this before - not all Ralliart VR-4s had Recaro trim - farmer local to me had a silver UK VR-4 with beige leather ...

... and this one has standard trim - doesn't have Recaros or leather.

Year 2000 here with full beige leather

Brunty
31-12-2004, 03:19 AM
and welcome to CVR4, you'll get plenty of help from the long term owners on here.

Drove well, couple of minor things wrong, like Sat Nav and folding mirrors didn't work, was a bit tappety - from cold and also when warm! And it was overpriced - £9k for a 96 P reg!!!

When looking for mine I quickly realised that the asking prices vary wildly, could be lucky and find a bargin.

As for tappety - mine seems much more pronounced in the cold, and others have reported that an oil change has worked wonders.

Best of luck in your search for a Legnum, hope it works out for you.

Steve

Kieran
31-12-2004, 11:08 AM
As for tappety - mine seems much more pronounced in the cold, and others have reported that an oil change has worked wonders.

Steve

That's a good point - Don't write off a 'Tappy' VR-4 Sulli. If you search the forums with the phrase 'Lash Adjusters' you'll find LOADS of threads about the problem (so I won't go into mega-detail here). It's usually an easy fix (oil flush) and nothing terminal.

Kieran
31-12-2004, 11:09 AM
Posting so my 1st reply shows again.