PDA

View Full Version : Legnum Roof rack- no rails!

jayp
13-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Hi guys,

I currently have a 99 Legnum WITHOUT roof rails and I'm looking to find a roof rack to fit.

I've had a search on here and apparently people have managed it but didn't say where they got it from or part numbers.

Searching the internet and all the Legnum and Gallant Estate racks I have require roof rails.

Does any one know if the fixings are the same between Saloon and Estate?

Thanks in advance!

horndog
13-06-2012, 06:10 PM
Halfords website offers this Kit for a galant estate without rails £105
might be worth a visit?

Halfords Roof Bar Fitting Kit M41
Halfords Roof Bar System A

jayp
13-06-2012, 06:24 PM
In all honesty I didn't even think of halfrauds... Unfortunately I no longer reside in the U.K. but if they do one I'm sure someone in Germany will as well!

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Davezj
14-06-2012, 04:47 PM
any universal roof bar with hooked gripper that clamp on to the under side of the upper door jam should fit.

something like this, not these exact ones as they are gutter mount, you many the ones with a pad on the bottom and the hook bit goes under the door jam at the top.
http://www.saveanddrive.co.uk/delete/bars/paddy/405/large.htm

here you go this sort will work

http://www.thehappymotorist.co.uk/paddy-hopkirk/paddy2.php?paddyid=1007

jayp
14-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Cheers for that Dave will try and source something similar over here

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

jahooli
07-02-2014, 08:27 PM
Bought Halfords M41 from ebay and they dont fit!!!
Took them to Halfords who said although the box says they fit, if I bought it new they would fit and check and offer money back if they dont quite fit!
Whats all that about!! Wasted 50 nikker on roof bars!

Atik
07-02-2014, 08:53 PM
Im in the market for a set for my Legnum. Tempted to start dismantling the interior to fit the spare rails I have so I can use the bars I already have!

jahooli
07-02-2014, 09:06 PM
Im going to retro fit the rails I have in my garage.

jahooli
08-02-2014, 02:48 PM
Right, took the roof lining off, only took 35 minutes, I would imagine it will take about 300 hours to put back on tho!

EMERGENCY!! Cant find the dimples to drill through the roof, can anyone advise?

What should I be looking for?

Help as soon as you can, my pappap is in bits!!

Nick Mann
08-02-2014, 02:49 PM
You should be looking for overlapping panels with holes in the lower panel.

jahooli
08-02-2014, 03:07 PM
Found 3 overlapping struts that go from right to left. They are not in the same place as the supports on the roof bars.

Are roof bars different lengths on different models?

Just found 1 in the boot, its a small reinforced panel with 2 holes, there are none for the centre and front when I line it up inside the car.
WOuld it be very daft and dangerous to use the back one and measure and drill through the roof for the front and centre? WOuld it be strong enough?
Ta
Paul

jahooli
08-02-2014, 04:49 PM
Im about to fabricate 4 aluminium plates to silicone to the underside of the single skin roof for the supports that don't have a panel.
I will then add a 1/2 inch washer to the bolt.

Any thoughts or immediate concerns?

Nick Mann
08-02-2014, 11:33 PM
Hmmm..... I've not seen one without the holes in the interior panel before. Will the aluminium brackets fit snugly against the roof? It would be a shame if they distorted the roof line.

jahooli
09-02-2014, 12:54 AM
Hopefully they will be soft enough to bend into the contour of the roof. I will round the corners off to avoid them cutting in when tightened up, (hopefully).

Mine is a 96, no moonroof, no rails (obviously). There seems to be a rail shaped 2nd skin panel in the boot but the rest of the roof, apart from the cross sections is perfectly smooth all the way to the front window and single skin.
The cross sections have holes in the underside but are in no way related to the dimensions of the roof bar supports.

Im going to pick up the fabricated plates on Monday and have a go at fitting on Tuesday morning, if anyones interested I can take pics and upload.

Any advice or thoughts appreciated.

Ta
Paul

Davezj
09-02-2014, 02:16 PM
have you got roof rails round the right way, as they are not symetrical when looking for the locating dimples.

jahooli
09-02-2014, 07:16 PM
Ive tried them on each side, as I say the roof skin is completely smooth apart for 3 cross supports and the strange roof rail sized second skin panel to the rear of the car.

I could do with some help, if anyone would be kind enough to measure where the supports go into the roof on their rails this would help me determine if the panel I have found in the boot is in fact designed for the job. I would like to know how far from the boot and rain gutter the rear support is and so on. This will also help me decide where my rails should be mounted

Also does anyone know if rails and/or roofs are different sizes on different models?

Thanks for the help guys, its a bit daunting this but I cant find a roof rack that fits the car.

Paul

Nick Mann
09-02-2014, 09:27 PM
If you currently have the roof liner out could you take photos and post them here?

jahooli
09-02-2014, 10:34 PM
Ill do that.
Measurements would be greatly appreciated, just simple front to backs and distance from the rain gutters.
Do you think I should put a general post up?

Ta

Nick Mann
09-02-2014, 11:22 PM
I can measure mine tomorrow from the top.

jahooli
09-02-2014, 11:40 PM
Nice one, thats what I need. Ill post some photos tomorrow too.
Thanks
Paul

jahooli
10-02-2014, 09:28 AM

If these have uploaded. T
he first photo shows the reinforced panel that is the same shape as the support on the rail.

The second photo shows the 3 supports going from side to side.

Which, if any of these did you guys bolt your rails onto?

I just did a switch round and 2 of the feet on the rails may line up with the back and middle cross supports under the roof, doesnt seem to be propper holes tho, just 1 hole in each cross section.

Here it is lined up inside the car, dismissing the back panel and lining up with 2 of the 3 cross sections.

Here s how it would look ont he roof if i tried to use the cross sections.

jahooli
10-02-2014, 01:51 PM
Hi,can anyone measure where the supports are on the roof. How far back one is from gap in boot and how far all are away from rain gutter?
Thanks

Nick Mann
10-02-2014, 03:12 PM
Okay, photos plus tape measure photos - hopefully this will show you from the outside:

Correct way round

Closeness to the gutter

Tape hooked onto back of roof panel showing locations of the struts

Nick Mann
10-02-2014, 03:14 PM
I would say the holes you have found at the back of the car look like the ones to me. There should be something similar at the front of the car, but I can't tell on your photos. The middle on in your photo could be right, it's a case of measuring up and comparing.

Good luck!

jahooli
10-02-2014, 10:22 PM
Had a mate make me these today so I'm going for it!

May not be tomorrow but Ill post the results if people are interested.

Thanks for taking the time to give me advice and measurements, The plate in the back seems to be mounting points but there are no others. I f i use the cross supports the bars start too far forward.

Thanks again

Paul

jahooli
21-02-2014, 07:54 PM
Got these fitted.
Drilled the back and bolted the rail in loosely, added masking tape to the roof to get the position of the middle and front support.
Put copper slip on the rubber at the bottom of the support and pushed down on the masking tape to leave an imprint exposing the holes, drilled through from the top, added hammerite to the holes
stuck the new brackets with silicone and put silicone on the rubber at the bottom of each support.

2 hours, job done...........havent fitted the roof liner back yet tho!!!

sorry about the non informative photos!

jahooli
21-02-2014, 07:55 PM
now I need suitable roof bars, any suggestions?