PDA

View Full Version : clutch types and daily use

Gly
13-06-2012, 08:23 PM
my act 6 puk sprung disc, and exedy 4400lb cover have started to give up on me,
lasted somewhere between 20-25 thou km.

so time to shop for something better??

not sure what to get,

im either going twin plate, something similar to what i have now, or something full face HD (looking at competition clutch range http://www.competitionclutch.com/ )

but im just not sure what i really want??!

id like something that will handle the abuse, (i destroyed 4 ayc rear diffs)

but the 6 Puk just wasnt that good around town/traffic,
and i think it died early due to having to reverse up hill out of my driveway when used.

anyone have any input on disc types, specifically Segmented Ceramic, or Carbon Kevlar
or twin plate clutches??? expected life span, and driving characteristics?

Humpty's Revenge
13-06-2012, 08:25 PM
http://carbonetic.wordpress.com/pro-blade/

Gly
13-06-2012, 09:33 PM
no good,
the reviews ive read on that clutch recommend you change to a hydraulic release bearing as the push/pull converter does not release fast enough and burns up the clutch,

also not good for launching as it overheats quickly and ruins the disc, and to expensive for what it is.

Oblivion
14-06-2012, 08:44 AM
I guess you have to decide how much you want to put up with, either easy to drive but not as strong.... or strong clutch but harder to drive. And then how much you want to spend...

I've heard carbon clutches are supposed to handle heat better but havent seen for myself, anyway heres my limited clutch experiences;
Exedy evo 7 centre disc with stock cover: very easy to drive and handles 3-4 high rpm launches but starts to slip after that.
Twin Plate: pedal feel is not heavy so still very driveable but engages quickly so be prepared to stall now and then. Slow maneuvering like parallel parking can be a pain. Strong enough to handle anything you throw at it, launch hard and you may smash a transfer case though!

Adam.Findlay
14-06-2012, 09:28 AM
if you want power handling and drivability i cannot reccomend exedy carbon multi's my carbon tripple bites so stupidly hard, ive snapped a rear half shaft clean in half by launching with this clutch (4WD not RWD) and its is just as streetable as my old cushoned button clutch, easier to stall purely due to the super light flywheel it came with and the carbon plates weight almost nothing. but you can still slip it almost like an organic. Ive driven a few cerametallic twin plate cars. (one being Taylors OS giken R2CD clutch in a vr4) and although you can get used to the limited amount of "slipability" they were shocking in traffic.
my tripple cost me 2300NZD including gst for the whole kit though so it comes at a cost. maby a carbonetic twin could be cheaper?

Adam.Findlay
14-06-2012, 09:30 AM
also in the research i did the carbon plates are 'supposed" to last almost twice as long as cerametallic equivelents. so you theoretically should be rebuilding them / buying replacement plates half as often