PDA

View Full Version : Faster acceleration ?

caishanvr4
27-12-2004, 07:09 PM
I was just trawling through some sites to get info on planned upgrades for my car and came across this link www.potn.com/fse-enginetuning_c618_619_640_p1600335.htm
If any of you guys have this particular part or similar could you justify the performance gains. Just trying to seperate the bad uprades from the good. Ive also found an upgrade that gives claimed better fuel consumption which would help keep more cash in our pockets for future mods. Wifey's nagging and kids screaming so il post l8r, if im still alive.

enigma
28-12-2004, 08:05 PM
You will barely notice the difference with a FSE on a standard engine. What you need is an air filter, exhaust, boost controller and NITROUS! This will give you faster acceleration for sure! (See my sig!)

ako
29-12-2004, 08:16 AM
That FSE is a load of bollocks. Seriously.

It will give gains IF your cars stock regulator is stuffed (for whatever reason), otherwise, I've never seen a test that actually did anything good.

For results you'll actually feel - get an exhaust upgrade done on the car, raise the boost to around the 12-13 psi mark (costs approx. f-all to do), and look at a replacement air filter. Seriously, itll be a different cr from stock, which im assuming it is right now, and wont put too much of a dent in your pocket.

caishanvr4
29-12-2004, 04:04 PM
Thank you ako,& the one B D A for your imput and knowledge :beerclash. Ive looked at your speck B D A and am amazed at what youv'e achieved with hard earned £££ and originality. Ako your times are very quick too, what BHP was you running to get those times. It looks like a lot of lies and masking from the wife for future planned upgrades but how do you hide an full exhaust and air filter without causing suspition :nono: :scelp: from the MISSES. Suppose to be saving up for a bloody :gun3: conservatory. Yeeaarr Right.

ako
03-01-2005, 02:54 AM
Hrmm.. Some things, you can hide away :D

On the air filter front - you can get a replacement filter that fits in the same box as the stock paper filter. It just flows better, and hell, you can justify it on thr grounds that they do indeed filter the air better. Plus they are washable, so you never need to replace it. They do pay for themselves eventually :laugh:

The exhaust... Okay, you'll be doing well to hide that away. You CAN keep the noise down with the right sort of mufflers, and it can look stock - once again, just find the right muffler (or backbox I think some people call them).

You don't reeeealy want to raise the boost levels before doing either of those, purely because of the way things work with a turbocharged car - if you free up some of the restrictions on it, they tend to gain 1 or 2 psi of pressure on their own anyway.

These won't really do much for fuel consumption. The air filter will improve it, and the exhaust also has the potential to have the same effect, but at the end of the day power = air+fuel, can't really get it free. Plus once you hear one of these cars on song through an upgraded exhaust, your foot will be spending a lot more time pressing on the loud pedal anyway :D

One idea - try just getting the air filter, I'm sure a car parts place can help you out with it, ask for a k+n or similar, you pay for it but they are the best - just get your muffler replaced with something fancy, and get hold of a blow off valve, I'm sure itll be enough to put a grin on your face for a while, and keep your wife guessing "just what the hell have you done to it now?!?"

Oh yeah - my car doesn't realyl count, it was a slightly earlier model than the one you have. Estimating around 340ish hp to run that time... Believe me, power is incredibly addictive once you start to find out you can create more :laugh: