PDA

View Full Version : Earth Kit's ?

Big Ian
28-12-2004, 11:03 AM
do they work?
i ve noticed a few member's have up-graded the earthing on VR4/legnum's, have any of you noticed any difference? also would it work (if it does) on my GLS?,
i also get quite a bit of static through my stereo,which i have checked all connection's and added another earth supply but it's still there could an earth kit help with this?

Spirit
28-12-2004, 11:11 AM
One of those topics with differing opinions. For sure there are a few who have noticed an improvement in gear changes (auto) and a more responsive go pedal - and others who say they cannot notice a difference. If you do a search Ian I think you will find a few threads.

Ralliart do an earthing kit, likewise Apexi - both with set you back around £120 - £170 (UK prices), or try eBay - or there is the DIY route which is substantially cheaper. I think Brind put up a thread on how he did his ?

KiwiTT
28-12-2004, 08:08 PM
What is an "Earth Kit"

... is it that little rubber tape that I see sometimes behind some cars. It seems that only way to earth a car. (i.e. the tape having a bit of metal in it.)

... A Googling I will go ...

Nick VR4
28-12-2004, 08:12 PM
What is an "Earth Kit"

... is it that little rubber tape that I see sometimes behind some cars. It seems that only way to earth a car. (i.e. the tape having a bit of metal in it.)

... A Googling I will go ...

The rubber tape is a earthing strap to remove static from the car

A earth kit is better cables used on the battery etc

KiwiTT
28-12-2004, 08:15 PM
Thanks Nick. I seem to have found some info on a HKS Earth Circle Kit. Need more.

Nick VR4
28-12-2004, 08:19 PM
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125&highlight=earth

KiwiTT
28-12-2004, 08:26 PM
:dozey: Dozey me I should have done that ...

Spirit
28-12-2004, 08:44 PM
More info here : APEXI (http://www.apexi-usa.com/news.asp?ID=56) and pic of the Ralliart one

http://www.poweraxel.com/ralliart/catalogue/earthingsys/img/ear3.jpg

Nick VR4
28-12-2004, 08:45 PM
:lolz: ;)

Big Ian
29-12-2004, 01:46 AM
i think i'll be doing a bit of DIY in the morning,dont know about adding any power to my car but worth it if it take's away the static through my sound's ;)
look's like i'll have to turn my spare part shed up side down as i know ive got a gold plated 5 gang connecter for the battery in there (from my earlier ICE day's) and then of to city eletric's for some earthing wire and circular connection's.
i'll try and follow the different picture's of Brian's car and the one's Brind has posted for a scooby.

would you say these are where they go?
both strut mount's
alternater
engine block
bulk head

Big Ian
29-12-2004, 01:55 AM
would you say these are where they go?
both strut mount's
alternater
engine block
bulk head

or should i go for the chassis and inlet manifold,and not the engine block?
7 cable's? should they all lead straight from the earth on the battery or do some feed from other's? ie= does the one supply do both strut top's or 2 diff-supplies from the battery earth?

Nick Mann
29-12-2004, 09:20 AM
Ian - from wherever to somewhere else. Connections to the chassis and the engine both could help, but by how much is a seperate argument. Just remember that the biggest resistance on your shiny new cables will almost certainly be at the joins at the ends, so daisy chaining them may be a bad idea. Also make sure that the contact wherever you connect them is as good as it can be.

Mine has an earthing kit, but looks to be some kind of universal affair - no brand names I recognise. One day I will spend enough time looking around to see where they all go, but I am pretty sure they are all attached to the engine/chassis in the engine bay.

Big Ian
29-12-2004, 09:50 AM
;) "i'm going for it!" i'll follow both the diagram's the best i can on the other thread and see if anything change's?
i'll go for
intake manifold
chassis
alternater
& both strut top's

5 cable's with nice colour-full insulation :rolleyes: should look good if nuffin else! :laugh:

i let you know the out come.

caishanvr4
10-01-2005, 02:03 PM
Hi Ian

Did you install your earth thingy thing and have you noticed any difference. I ask this because i myself was reading about its benefits from another company so i struck a little deal with the supplier. He said he would give members a discount on a group buy :-D . if any of you guys are intrested i can post what his reply was to my request.

Big Ian
10-01-2005, 02:19 PM
no,ive not fitted it yet,but i do have all the part's to make my own.
Yan (Strange bat) got himself an me the proper battery connecter's and a distributing box. all part's look very nice too with there coat of 24kt gold.
but like the rest of the country the weather is dreadfull and ive not got enough hour's in the day!
i'm putting friday as-side to fit it an a few other "wee job's"

Kieran
19-01-2005, 12:54 PM
Any news then Ian? Does your earth kit make a difference? :)

colVR4
19-01-2005, 01:03 PM
I would be interested in getting an earthing kit if someone were to put one together. I don't mind paying a little extra on top of the cost of parts if it comes with instructions on how to fit it. Would anybody be interested in putting together a kit and who would be interested in buying one?

I am obviously waiting for the results of Ians fitting to see if they make a difference before I commit to any purchase though.

ritch_w
19-01-2005, 01:14 PM
I would be interested in getting an earthing kit if someone were to put one together. I don't mind paying a little extra on top of the cost of parts if it comes with instructions on how to fit it. Would anybody be interested in putting together a kit and who would be interested in buying one?

I am obviously waiting for the results of Ians fitting to see if they make a difference before I commit to any purchase though.

get one from US Ebay - dirt cheap - they call them ground wire kits;

http://motors.search.ebay.com/ground_Batteries-Cables_W0QQcatrefZC3QQcatrefZC6QQfcclZ0QQfclZ3QQfr omZR2QQfrppZ50QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQsa catZ33574QQsamcmZ6028QQsbrftogZ1QQsofocusZbs

http://motors.search.ebay.com/ralliart_Batteries-Cables_W0QQsofocusZbsQQsbrftogZ1QQfrppZ50QQfclZ3QQ fromZR10QQfcclZ0QQsamcmZ6028QQsacatZ33574QQftrtZ1Q QftrvZ1QQfsopZ1QQfsooZ1

eg $10 + $45P&P = £29 - that must be better thansome of the prices over here (£170+??????)

Big Ian
19-01-2005, 01:28 PM
so far i have noticed that on first start up of the day,it's idle is far smoother,than before and my wife say's she's not felt the tiny static shock she get's when getting out the car (alway's a down side ;) )
ive still to add an earth to the alternator,hopefull this may take away the slight static i get through my stereo?
so far it's cost

2 new Gold Plated battery connecter's =£8.
1 gold plated distrabution block (spelling?) =£4.
5 meter's of 10mm woven copper with insulation coat =£11.
heavy duty circular (spade) connecter's =£1.20

Yan (strangebat) very kindly got the gold plated item's for me from Maplin and he is also doing his car.
i have attached earth's to inlet manifold,both strut top's,chassis and ive still got the alternator to do (bloody weather)
ive taken 1 feed from the earth on the battery to the block and then fed from the block to all the point's above.
i'll take a pici and show how ive mounted my earth system.

Big Ian
19-01-2005, 01:46 PM
here yae go,i nipped out in the p!5S'n rain ;)

colVR4
19-01-2005, 01:59 PM
Just looking at one on ebay for $5.88 plus shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7948394380&fromMakeTrack=true

For that price I might as well buy it and see what it is like.

valmes
23-01-2005, 02:17 PM
APEXi Power Conditioner and Super Grounding System :dozey: (http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183796&page=1&pp=15)

colVR4
25-01-2005, 10:53 AM
This is the cheapest that I could find for the APEXi kit,

http://store.rms-usa.com/apsugrsy.html

Seems a lot of money to pay compared to the home-made kits, or those universal jobbies from ebay. Is it worth it? Comments welcome

adam_shaw
25-01-2005, 11:19 AM
Why smooth the battery with a 'double condensor' [pair of capacitors] - to be really effective at smoothing the voltage would require big capacitors.

I'm not really into electronics (although I work in the industry :$ ) and in our application we smooth a 12V supply for driving Xenon tubes, and this requires a pair of capacitors the size of coke cans (and these are smaller than the ones we used until a year or so ago).

Our current draw is probably a bit higher, but still I'm a little sceptical.

The connection plate for the earth on the box doesn't appear to be anything special (could be Nickel plated I guess).

My thoughts are, you'd probably find it just as effective to nominate a spot on the bulkhead, tap some good holes (or mount a brass connector block), and run a number of lines from block, alternator, gearbox back to that.

A

valmes
25-01-2005, 11:32 AM
Seems a lot of money to pay compared to the home-made kits, or those universal jobbies from ebay.

I think you've answered your own question! :)