PDA

View Full Version : Lower straight arms an idea....maybe

SteveH
18-06-2012, 09:26 AM
Just wondering wether anyone has ever looked into getting some super strong aftermarket arms made up? maybe with replacable ball joints? I'm not sure having any adjustment in them would be of any benefit?

We all know these arms are an issue. When they fail is it usually the ball joint or the actual arm that snaps?

TAR
18-06-2012, 09:46 AM
Its always the ball joint and the genuine Mitsi ones are the way to go if you want peace of mind.

I would also imagine its quite a cost to get new ones developed?

:happy:

SteveH
18-06-2012, 09:57 AM
I've not long replaced mine with genuine ones, i was looking at my old ones and thought that they would be pretty simple to copy out of high grade alu. Being able to just replace the ball joint would offer a big saving over the initial cost of fancy arms. That's my thinking anyway?

Adam.Findlay
18-06-2012, 10:44 AM
To be honest making billet alloy ones would be very expensive and IMHO not strong enough. however chromoly tubeing with a replaceable ball joint end would be easy to make up and plenty strong enough. but if your going to go that the extent of making custom arms, you could go a step further and make a moly tubular front and rear subframes and change the pickup points for enhanced roll centers and so on

SEAN-NZ
18-06-2012, 12:28 PM
are you offering Adam? lol

SteveH
18-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Doing the whole lot would be massively expensive, maybe only a few pieces of the set up would be better?

Adam.Findlay
18-06-2012, 09:35 PM
are you offering Adam? lol
Wish i had enough cash to buy a welder to do so.
was thinking something like this for the upper arm for camber adjustment
http://image.off-roadweb.com/f/15239630+w750+st0/0904or_11_z+camburg_engineering_long_travel_kit+wa ll_chromoly_upper_control_arm.jpg
and this plus the ball joint for the lower straight arm
http://static.26bikes.com/GetFile/14467/2.jpg

SEAN-NZ
19-06-2012, 05:13 AM
ahh, i cant seem to remember how the camber on the front was done, but that would be interesting, only thing i could think of that would be an issue for the straight arms would be ball joint replacement, would it be as strong as the oem ones?