PDA

View Full Version : Removing the rear deck - any tips?

OrlandonOrtiz
18-06-2012, 02:28 PM
Hello there!

I couldn't find any spot-on answers by using the search, so here goes:

I plan on having the rear deck on my Galant V6 reupholstered in leather. How hard/easy is it to remove it from the car?

Obviously, I know I have to remove the brake light and the speakers, but what else should I do? Do I *have* to remove the rear seats and the pillar trims as well?

Thanks!

miller
18-06-2012, 02:50 PM
Right, terminology may be different as you cross the pond....

Rear deck I deduce is the rear parcel shelf? Will sunlight not fade leather quickly especially in your climate?

I would imagine removing rear seatback is easy and make the job of the parcel shelf removal easy....

OrlandonOrtiz
18-06-2012, 02:53 PM
Right, terminology may be different as you cross the pond....

Rear deck I deduce is the rear parcel shelf? Will sunlight not fade leather quickly especially in your climate?

I would imagine removing rear seatback is easy and make the job of the parcel shelf removal easy....

Hello, Miller!

Yes, it's the rear parcel shelf, where the speakers are.

I'm not very concerned about sun fading, mine's not faded -- I just wanted to reupholster it to match my seats and to look better. And I'm also having my windows tinted, so that will help keeping the leather looking good.

I haven't tried removing the rear seats yet, I will look into that. I'm more concerned about maybe having to remove the pillar trims, those clips break easily and are not readily available, he he he...

horndog
19-06-2012, 10:36 AM
If you look here Interior Manual (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?5507-Galant-Workshop-Manual-PDF-s-x-26&p=619594&viewfull=1#post619594) It shows where all clips screws etc are - pages 7 & 17

OrlandonOrtiz
19-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Wheeeee! Thanks a lot.

Oblivion
19-06-2012, 10:56 AM
From memory the seat isnt hard to take out, Ive done it a couple times but you shouldnt have to take off the pillar trims at all.