PDA

View Full Version : Steering ratio change

GoldenDragoon
22-06-2012, 02:16 AM
I need to get my steering rack reconditioned and thought it might be a.good chance to change the steering ratio. Does anyone know of any steering racks that are a direct fit with a faster ratio or and aftermarket option with the same feature?

Kenneth
22-06-2012, 04:33 AM
If the steering column has sensors to tell the AYC (possibly ABS?) how much steering input there is. If you alter your steering ratio, you will screw that up.

sampsulo
22-06-2012, 07:39 AM
Does that mean the car turns faster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoldenDragoon
22-06-2012, 12:31 PM
It simply means that you turn the steering wheel less for the same amount of steering as the standard rack. I think the car has 2 turns lock to lock. Reducing it to maybe 1.5 turns lock to lock would be better. I am after a steering rack that does this if possible rather than reconditioning my current unit...

sampsulo
22-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Ah that's genius. What's the advantage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lancerevo3
22-06-2012, 01:08 PM
evo rs have a quick rack but dont if it will fit.plus they dont have ayc

Atik
22-06-2012, 01:08 PM
Quicker turning as less time taken to move the steering wheel that extra quarter turn. Like a F1 car, allowing you to turn the car with only small changes to the steering wheel.

Great idea, but as Ken says, make sure you dont screw up any of the addition gubbins in the car such as AYC etc.

Davezj
22-06-2012, 01:10 PM
the car may be more twitchy about the straight ahead path as those small steering inputs you used to make due to going over bumps, accelerating and braking (that we all do without realising it) will become significant, and may cause the car to be overly twitchy.

but as kenneth says it will effect the ayc turning/tracktion assistance. I think you will get less assistance from the ayc, which could upset the balance of the car.

Wodjno
22-06-2012, 06:08 PM
I know it would still result in the same turns lock to lock, but! Fitting a smaller diameter wheel would mean you would have less steering input(hand movement)for the same steering angle.
And it wouldn't mess up ABS/AYC.

Ryan
22-06-2012, 06:47 PM
I know it would still result in the same turns lock to lock, but! Fitting a smaller diameter wheel would mean you would have less steering input(hand movement)for the same steering angle.
And it wouldn't mess up ABS/AYC.

/yes and is much cheaper!

GoldenDragoon
23-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Factory steering wheel is fine. I.would hate to put something smaller in anyway as it would just block my view of.the dash.

Sounds like there is no option then.

Nick Mann
23-06-2012, 06:08 PM
I track my car from time to time and I can't say I have noticed a need for a quick rack? I have driven an evo with a quick rack and it was more rewarding on hard turn in, but I equally felt like I had to take a lot more notice of where the car was going and how much to correct. I can see the advantages of a quick rack but I personally wouldn't want one on a VR4.