PDA

View Full Version : Worn rack or tyres?

HJM
29-12-2004, 07:23 PM
Back from service and have been told that it might need a new power steering rack, as the two front tyres are evenly worn on the inside :(

I am getting a second opinion next week, but have read on here various other posts regarding similar experiences, I think :dozey:

As the car has been on the track, I would expect tyres to wear more quickly than normal :$

Is this likely to be on the inside, as I have read that this is common with skylines and cosworths?

Also, at the ball joint recall (both were replaced), I was told that the tie rod was worn - could this be connected?

The car isn't handling any differently - any comments from you technical wizards out there??

Roadrunner
29-12-2004, 07:46 PM
You'll be pleased to hear it's most unlikely to be the steering rack (and, at the £1,824 + VAT + fitting that I was quoted, you'll probably need to pick yourself off the floor ;) ). If you've not had the steering ends replaced (opposite end of the tie rod from the trackrod ends), I'd bet that these are worn and need replacing.

Wear on the insides means you've too much toe-out which could easily be caused by worn steering ends/trackrod ends. You should have the geometry checked after you've had the problem fixed. I set my fronts up parallel, but the full geometry settings are here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299&highlight=geometry).

Oh, and don't let anyone tell you that all AWD cars do that (which is bo!!ocks) - I have beautifully even wear across all four tyres. Re track days: if anything, you'll wear the outsides of all four tyres (fronts more than rears) because of the weight of the car rolling over on the rim. Quite possible to totally scrub the outsides in less than a day on track if you're not careful. One of the reasons I run with higher pressures on dry tracks ...

Best of luck getting it fixed :)

HJM
29-12-2004, 08:53 PM
Thanks Brian - that sounds spot on ! I'll pass on this info to my local mechanic who checks it out next week.

Spirit
29-12-2004, 09:53 PM
Good luck with it Heath, what Brian says makes perfect sense and the tie rod ends are only about £25 each from Mitsy (IIRC) so won't break the bank ;)

Physician
30-12-2004, 07:17 AM
Heath/Jane,

You may find the info in the following thread useful.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5085&highlight=steering+assembly