PDA

View Full Version : Beware cheap oil pipes with atf!!

jayp
23-06-2012, 09:14 PM
As the title suggests I've had a bit of a nightmare today.

We were driving from town to camp when I noticed a funny smell like hot oil, and wife pointed out a red mist down the side of the car.

Long story short, the 'oil' pipes that came with my mocal oil cooler just aren't up to the job! They have deteriorated from the inside out dumping a good quantity of at down the side of the car across the whole engine bay and on the road.

Luckily one of my mates towed me to work and I've taken the opportunity to do my cambelt and water pump whilst I have the front end off yo clean! And I'm replacing the cheapo pipes with some proper stuff.

Hopefully I've not done any serious damage to the g'box, or I'll be looking for a manual g'box for a conversion!

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

swinks
23-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Julian, for fuel, oil etc. I trust only 2 type of hoses: steel braided or genuine Aeroquip.

wintertidenz
24-06-2012, 07:23 AM
I use only fuel injection and oil grade pipes for my piping, preferably the fuel injection piping. The other stuff just falls apart.

They probably gave you just generic rubber piping.

jayp
24-06-2012, 07:40 AM
It was cotton over braided, just like a lot of fuel pipes.

It's now getting replaced with steel braided fuel line.

Nick Mann
24-06-2012, 09:01 AM
The braiding isn't the issue, it's the grade of rubber. I always use fuel injection hose too, it's the only one I trust. I'd imagine that the auto box will be okay, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

jayp
24-06-2012, 09:42 AM
Yeah I realise that, I'm guessing it was cheapo imitation stuff used to sweeten the deal if you like. Lesson learned tho! Just hope I have enough oil! If not I'll be placing an order with don in the very near future!

elnevio
24-06-2012, 12:10 PM
How long had the pipes been on?

jayp
24-06-2012, 01:00 PM
They had only been on about 12 months

jayp
24-06-2012, 05:42 PM
We'll it looks like I have been very lucky! The car still drives in all gears, changes are a little rough but the g'box still needs to learn it's shifts.

The scary thing is the timing was two teeth out on the rear bank when I changed the belt! Thankfully there hasn't been any piston valve contact, its all set spot on now tho!