PDA

View Full Version : Group Buy : Weir Performance MaxGrip 12 plate LSD kit Suit EVO PLATE LSD's

Gly
25-06-2012, 04:25 AM
ok heres the deal, im going to America mid August,

i have a friend that can receive the kits for me, and i can pick up from while im there.

i will be bring them back in my carry on.

ill be taking payments up till 31st July approx. after that sorry and you miss out,

to have back in the country 1st September approx.

whos Keen???

http://www.weirperformance.com/maxgriplsdkits.html

the Kit is $180USD + shipping to your location from me or pickup.

ill be paying with paypal, so the exchange rate will be what they offer at the time you give me your money.

List of buyers/interested Parties

Gly (Paid)
Kenneth (Paid)
scott.mohekey (Paid)

Adam.Findlay (99% confirmed)
taylor

not sure who else is keen..
Adam.Findlay scott.mohekey

Adam.Findlay
25-06-2012, 09:40 AM
I am. as I said via txt after i get paid for my work ill be doing over uni holidays im in. should be well before july 31st.

Gowf
25-06-2012, 10:27 AM
I have had a look at these before.....

Now the stock RS diff has 8 plates if I remember correctly, the Ralliart one has 12. Now the thing that would confuse is how do you fit 12 plates in a space designed for 8? The answer is you dont. The Ralliart diff housing is physically bigger. I am not sure whether these kits require that. We have also been having issues with diff casings cracking at the moment (granted these are being used in anger through the forest)

Gly
25-06-2012, 10:54 AM
http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-how-tos-installations/564095-how-assemble-rear-diff.html

how do you fit 12 plates, thats easy... the plates are thinner? and more tightly packed, more preload on the plates, causing earlier lockup.

they are designed to fit in the stock evo 8 plate housing.

this is the only no housing mods needed 12 plate kit for the evo 8 plate lsd.

it is still a 1 way lsd after you fit the plates.

from the research (google/various evo forums) i have done
i have found nothing negative about the kit or fitment.

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 4-9 $180.00 Ea.

A real improvement over the stock LSD that requires NO modifications to your LSD to install. Our kit comes with 12 new plates which adds one more clutch per side gear within the LSD. This is the ONLY real aftermarket 12 plate kit that lets you keep the spring discs on each side of your LSD without having to machine the pressure rings. Without these spring discs, there is zero preload within the LSD. So, what do the "other guys" use in their LSD's? Well, they use O.E.M. parts and either remove the disc springs or machine the pressure rings so they can fit the extra plate into the stock LSD casing. Are they replacing all of your used plates with new ones? The answer is no, they are only adding one new plate to each side of your LSD. With our MAXGRIP kit your LSD will lock harder and firmer than you ever thought possible and still remain street friendly. The best part is you can install this kit on a Saturday in your garage and save the expense of shipping your diff and down time. This kit will increase the performance of your factory LSD to comparable performance of the very expensive aftermarket units. You will notice LSD chatter when using this kit, which can be reduced with friction modifiers if you choose to do so.

Gowf
25-06-2012, 11:24 AM
http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-how-tos-installations/564095-how-assemble-rear-diff.html

how do you fit 12 plates, thats easy... the plates are thinner? and more tightly packed, more preload on the plates, causing earlier lockup.

they are designed to fit in the stock evo 8 plate housing.

this is the only no housing mods needed 12 plate kit for the evo 8 plate lsd.

it is still a 1 way lsd after you fit the plates.

from the research (google/various evo forums) i have done
i have found nothing negative about the kit or fitment.

As I said though, the 12 plate diff casings from ralliart are physically bigger! So as you say you are using thinner plates/spacers, which if you are using thinner plates will not last as long as the originals (but is without a doubt a cheaper option when rebuilding). With regards preload, it is essentially adjustable so by putting more plates in is not a way to adjust preload, with the adjustment being your diff setting.

My only question is this, why do you want to do it?

disco-ian
25-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Sounds good. If I had an LSD think I would go for it, would allow it to run a few more torques without worrying about a standard LSD. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adam.Findlay
25-06-2012, 10:52 PM
As I said though, the 12 plate diff casings from ralliart are physically bigger! So as you say you are using thinner plates/spacers, which if you are using thinner plates will not last as long as the originals (but is without a doubt a cheaper option when rebuilding). With regards preload, it is essentially adjustable so by putting more plates in is not a way to adjust preload, with the adjustment being your diff setting.

As carsten said they are thinner plates DESGINED TO FIT the 8 plate casing. they are still a one way lsd as the cam inside the centre part of the diff remains the same.
more plates = more preload because the more plates there are the more static friction there is due to increased surface area. same principal as multi plate clutches. more plates = more bite.
also more plates share the load better than less plates so the overall life will be the same and if it comes down to it 180 bucks isnt much to rebuild a diff (less bearings) plus with the increased friction there will be less slip under high load so less wear.
we probably wont have the same issue as you with cracking casings as we arent rallying in the forest/ extreme conditions, the reason we are looking at this is more bite out of a cheaper lsd. without having to splash out 1500 dollars on a cusco/ralliart/carbonetic 1.5 or 2 way

Gowf
25-06-2012, 11:06 PM
As carsten said they are thinner plates DESGINED TO FIT the 8 plate casing. they are still a one way lsd as the cam inside the centre part of the diff remains the same.
more plates = more preload because the more plates there are the more static friction there is due to increased surface area. same principal as multi plate clutches. more plates = more bite.
also more plates share the load better than less plates so the overall life will be the same and if it comes down to it 180 bucks isnt much to rebuild a diff (less bearings) plus with the increased friction there will be less slip under high load so less wear.
we probably wont have the same issue as you with cracking casings as we arent rallying in the forest/ extreme conditions, the reason we are looking at this is more bite out of a cheaper lsd. without having to splash out 1500 dollars on a cusco/ralliart/carbonetic 1.5 or 2 way

I do appreciate that it is a cheap way of doing things, and fair enough as rebuilds arnt overly cheap due to the cost of bearings. Exactly like multiplate carbon clutches though, they are not the most robust of things in anyway other than they were intended, so having thinner plates WILL lead to earlier failure, not by errosion but by cracking. Not that this is much of an issue as it wont happen over night, I'm just saying that the life will be shorter than its stock equivilent. Again though, as plate diffs should be stripped and rebuilt regularly (same as straight cut/dog boxes should be) you will find this before it becomes catestrophic.

Gly
25-06-2012, 11:15 PM
the other thing to keep in mind, rebuilding a stock 8 plate with mitsi parts will set you back around $120-150nz per plate!

so even if the life of the LSD plates was halved with a 12 plate kit your still better off with the upgraded weir performance kit.

anyway, back on topic... who wants in??

thats easy for me,

Cost! and a affordable upgrade, and the fact my LSD came from a evo 2/3? and kms/use unknown to me (the lsds are the same evo 2-9 in asa)

so next time i service the driveline....

the rear lsd will be rebuilt,

the front evo helical LSD will be fitted to the transfercase, has already been inspected and new 12.9 grade bolts fitted, upgrade the 8mm casing bolts to 10mm.

and new evo clutch kit will go in.

scott.mohekey
25-06-2012, 11:17 PM
I'm interested.

Badger_01
26-06-2012, 08:22 AM
Ooooh I could quite possibly be keen. Would be something good to have now for the future

taylor
01-07-2012, 10:47 AM
potentially interested.

Am also looking at bringing in a cusco or Giken rear unit, don't supposed you would have room to cram that into your bag??? haha

Gly
01-07-2012, 11:28 PM
potentially interested.

Am also looking at bringing in a cusco or Giken rear unit, don't supposed you would have room to cram that into your bag??? haha

sorry probably cant... im already cramming a flywheel and clutch kit in for myself, so ill be at the limit already

unless you want to pay for the extra weight? not sure what Air NZ charges are for this

scott.mohekey
02-07-2012, 12:19 AM
not sure what Air NZ charges are for this

I don't think its actually all that bad. A work colleague brought a bicycle home with him the last time we went to LA, and he only had to pay $50 extra.

Gly
02-07-2012, 01:58 AM
taylor http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/excess-baggage-united-states

depends if i need an extra suitcase, can get pretty expensive.

scott.mohekey
02-07-2012, 03:16 AM
I think the 1st cost there ($70usd) is for the first additional package. It doesn't actually need to be a suitcase. It can be a box etc. So if taylor was willing to pay the $70usd, I think that would work.

Gly
02-07-2012, 06:03 AM
That really depends, may not be the first extra suit case or box I bring back :D
I'm planning on doing a fair bit of shopping. Also as we are getting the flights under Marians dads air nz perks,
I won't know what class we are in till the day we fly, not a problem on the way there.
As ill be packing very light and buying clothes there,
This is only an issue on the way back. When ill have car parts and whatever else I buy

Subaru ETA
02-07-2012, 06:25 AM
Have you booked your tickets as business class? If you have, and you get bumped to economy, you still get the business class baggage allowance, plus you will get refunded the extra you paid for business. When we went we paid for business class but flew premium over and economy back back had no problems with the extra bags (we flew on air nz staff travel)

Gly
02-07-2012, 07:31 AM
yes we have... good to know,

still dependent on we meet up with friends in LA i may get stuck lugging a heap off stuff to vagas. and back to LA
dunno what the deal with the internal flights and luggage is (these flights arnt booked yet).

so unless the items are fairly small, and your prepaired to take the risk on lost luggage/theift (it does happen) and cost if any,

dunno what happens in customs on the way back either????

its been 20 years since ive been out off NZ and funnily enough, it was to LA and Vagas then too :)

also you have to have the item with my friend before we get there.

this thread is just offering a weir performance LSD kit, so if you have any other requests please PM me and keep this thread on topic.

Gly
02-07-2012, 08:46 AM
just been poking around paypal and it seams i cant preload any $$ on in advance,

so wont be taking payment till the last week of this month, to avoid a balls up on exchange rate,

ATM its approx $235NZD to $180USD

Market Exchange rate $1nzd buys $0.80usd
given exchange rate $0.77

so if you work it out at 3cents less than whats on XE.com or the news and you should be right

taylor
04-07-2012, 11:00 AM
sorry probably cant... im already cramming a flywheel and clutch kit in for myself, so ill be at the limit already

unless you want to pay for the extra weight? not sure what Air NZ charges are for this

Nah its all sweet thanks bud, Im just being a tight ass, with the 2k im spending on the diff, im sure i can pay for shipping :)

I wont even bother asking about the turbo haha

Gowf
11-07-2012, 11:35 AM
I had to do a bit more research before advocating writing this.....

There is a cheaper option out there for all those with plate diffs. Instead of replacing what you already have with thinner plates (albeit more) you can change the orientation of the plates inside.

Instead of running friction/drive/friction/friction/drive (or something similar to that as they are standard), run them as Friction/drive/friction/drive/friction/drive. This WILL then give you a proper 2 way diff that locks when it should. This is what we have done to an E5 GpA car and it has been through 3 national 2 day events (2 gravel, 1 tar) with no issues what so ever.

The reason I was waiting to write this was that AMS offer an upgrade to your diff and this is exactly what they do. I just wanted to be 100% clear on that.

Adam.Findlay
11-07-2012, 10:26 PM
I had to do a bit more research before advocating writing this.....

There is a cheaper option out there for all those with plate diffs. Instead of replacing what you already have with thinner plates (albeit more) you can change the orientation of the plates inside.

Instead of running friction/drive/friction/friction/drive (or something similar to that as they are standard), run them as Friction/drive/friction/drive/friction/drive. This WILL then give you a proper 2 way diff that locks when it should. This is what we have done to an E5 GpA car and it has been through 3 national 2 day events (2 gravel, 1 tar) with no issues what so ever.

The reason I was waiting to write this was that AMS offer an upgrade to your diff and this is exactly what they do. I just wanted to be 100% clear on that.

as stated before changing the plates increases the preload not the operation of the diff (ie 1/1.5/2 way) the operation is controlled by the cam and the ramps in the center of the diff, Not the plates. these diffs are 1 way no matter what plates you put in them. and from what i have read only the usdm evos came with the preload set friction/drive/friction/friction/drive where as the JDM ones were friction/drive/friction/drive/friction/drive. hence why the american company AMS offers this service.
if you want a 2 way do as taylor is doing and go buy a cusco/ralliart etc

scott.mohekey
11-07-2012, 10:43 PM
/popcorn

Kenneth
12-07-2012, 01:58 AM
Gareth, are you talking about the USDM evo LSDs which all came assembled incorrectly from factory?

Basically the guys in the US found that the LSDs all came from factory assembled "incorrectly". The consensus was that Mitsi did it to avoid complaints about the diff being noisy and stuff.

So some shops started selling a "diff upgrade" which was basically taking it apart and putting it back together as per the service manual :P

Not sure if this is US only, it does seem to be suggested that is the case... Never know though.

wintertidenz
12-07-2012, 09:53 AM
I remember seeing a mention that only the USDM Evos came like that - the JDMs were round the right way. Can't remember where though!!!

Here's a thread on the discussion of the Weir 12-plate vs stock LSD:
http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/588419-weir-12-plate-vs-stock-corrected-diff.html

Adam.Findlay
12-07-2012, 12:26 PM
"Maybe. The 12 plate is very tight in the diff and lets the diff lock up faster and harder compared to arranged plates."
quoted from the evo m link.
stock 1 way lsd < Weir kitted 1 way lsd < 1.5/2way name brand lsd
its just down to money,

Gowf
17-07-2012, 10:56 AM
as stated before changing the plates increases the preload not the operation of the diff (ie 1/1.5/2 way) the operation is controlled by the cam and the ramps in the center of the diff, Not the plates. these diffs are 1 way no matter what plates you put in them. and from what i have read only the usdm evos came with the preload set friction/drive/friction/friction/drive where as the JDM ones were friction/drive/friction/drive/friction/drive. hence why the american company AMS offers this service.
if you want a 2 way do as taylor is doing and go buy a cusco/ralliart etc

Well I am only talking from the point of view of sucessful competition, but changing the orientation of the plates in the stock RS diff DID make a difference

Gly
17-07-2012, 12:09 PM
Adam.Findlay
Badger_01
taylor
@scott.mohekey

will start collecting money next week,
but if you could let me know if your definitely in or not so i can arrange shipping(cost (ill pay for this)) within America

Adam.Findlay
18-07-2012, 02:19 AM
will have to wait till next week when my next paycheck clears, but im 99% in so far

Kenneth
18-07-2012, 05:09 AM
im 99% in so far
Cant be married...

Badger_01
18-07-2012, 05:26 AM
Had to buy the rims :P So I'm out lol

Gly
18-07-2012, 09:01 AM
cool, 4 of us so far, just need to hear from taylor now.

Gly
24-07-2012, 05:03 AM
****KK!!!

scott.mohekey
Adam.Findlay
Kenneth

just got an email from the guy saying he has no stock of the kits till september now!

kenneth and scott are you happy for me to hold the money till then and sort shipping via my friend?
(will just get them undervalued and marked as gift and avoid customs that way, if you happy with the risk on that??)

otherwise i can refund you?

Adam.Findlay
24-07-2012, 05:08 AM
hmm does this mean I can have a bit of extra time to come up with the cash? if so i may be able to scrape together cash for the conrod buy?

Kenneth
24-07-2012, 05:09 AM
Yep, am happy to do it that way.

scott.mohekey
24-07-2012, 05:09 AM
Hold on to mine for now Carsten. I'm in no rush. (I haven't even got a diff head for the plates to go in yet).

Gly
24-07-2012, 05:30 AM
hmm does this mean I can have a bit of extra time to come up with the cash? if so i may be able to scrape together cash for the conrod buy?

yes it does. just keep in mind the amount will change if the exchange rate does.

he says there due back in stock early september