PDA

View Full Version : turbo pipes?

hbkuk1
27-06-2012, 06:53 PM
hi all

has anyone tryed changing the turbo inlet pipes the ones from the maf to the turbos? they seem (the front one anyway) fairly restrictive has anyone played arount with them and got any results?

the rear has a short pipe going in but a longer run going to inter cooler the front a longer restrictive run but shorter run to intercooler. i was thinking of having 2 better pipes same length from maf to turbos any thoughts?

swinks
27-06-2012, 06:56 PM
hi all

has anyone tryed changing the turbo inlet pipes the ones from the maf to the turbos? they seem (the front one anyway) fairly restrictive has anyone played arount with them and got any results?

Yes.
Not dynoed yet tho.

hbkuk1
27-06-2012, 07:11 PM
whats it feel like?

sampsulo
27-06-2012, 07:45 PM
How did you do it? Sounds like a plan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lateshow
30-06-2012, 09:09 AM
Yes.
Not dynoed yet tho.

Sorry for offtopic but is that 340hp and 320lb/ft with meth cooling or without?

swinks
30-06-2012, 09:31 PM
Sorry for offtopic but is that 340hp and 320lb/ft with meth cooling or without?
Without. Dyno was done 3 months before meth fitting. Since then, I did quite a few changes, and still gonna do more, then gonna dyno again. At the moment I have maps all over the place so it's not performing at his best. Upcoming holidays drain my funds now (Alps passes in Swiss in plans) :)

Oblivion
01-07-2012, 03:31 AM
Do you have a pic of that front restrictive pipe you mentioned? I think I know the one you mean, I changed mine and my bum dyno reckoned it made a difference lol.

wintertidenz
01-07-2012, 05:45 AM
http://www.essi24.ru/pictures/mitsu/jp/115_010500385T.png

Part 11183S in that picture.

hbkuk1
01-07-2012, 10:08 AM
http://www.essi24.ru/pictures/mitsu/jp/115_010500385T.png

Part 11183S in that picture.

yep thats the one

Oblivion
02-07-2012, 04:17 AM
Ah yes, thats the ugly, awkwardly shaped pipe I was thinking of. Is it shaped to fit around auto boxes and the airbox?

scott.mohekey
02-07-2012, 04:36 AM
Yeah, pretty much. If you have an auto box there is almost no room around that pipe. Getting it out is almost impossible without removing a heap of other stuff first.

wintertidenz
02-07-2012, 06:58 AM
It's designed to go around the ATF filter too. You have to remove the filter to get the pipe out.

veegeeta
02-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Are the manual ones different ? or do they all have the squashed bit.:huh2:

hbkuk1
02-07-2012, 05:51 PM
Are the manual ones different ? or do they all have the squashed bit.:huh2:

the same, that does explain why its like it....could have made a better one for the manual tho

elnevio
03-07-2012, 12:30 AM
Are the later FL ones the same as well? As the gearboxes don't have an external filter.

CANDEE
03-07-2012, 12:43 AM
Yes the pipes are the same for all the cars Nev. Having seen the PROS pipes you can see how hard it is to make a replacement.

Im considering running two pipes from the back of a relocated maf..

wintertidenz
03-07-2012, 07:07 AM
When I did my hard pipe kit I was going to replace that piping as well, but it's not easy finding someone that's willing to weld a 4" to 2x 2" Y pipe.

Oblivion
03-07-2012, 12:01 PM
This is how I did it. I changed that 'ugly pipe' that goes to the front turbo as the diameter and shape changes along its length and cant be that great for airflow, I didn't think it necessary to replace the Y shaped pipes as I felt they were big enough and there wouldn't be much advantage in changing them.

Here is the unpolished 'ugly pipe' replacement

Which I decided to paint to match my other pipes

And this is what it looks like installed

sampsulo
03-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Ah that's fantastic. Do you have one for the rear turbo? What's the measurement of this pipe? Looks to me I can just buy the s/s piece ad have them mig welded here and join. Including the reducers. This is nice. What does it look like post MAF?

hbkuk1
03-07-2012, 05:46 PM
This is how I did it. I changed that 'ugly pipe' that goes to the front turbo as the diameter and shape changes along its length and cant be that great for airflow, I didn't think it necessary to replace the Y shaped pipes as I felt they were big enough and there wouldn't be much advantage in changing them.

more pics PLEASE :)

veegeeta
03-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Can you make another and how much would it be? Verry interested & jelous.:inquisiti

Oblivion
04-07-2012, 09:22 AM
more pics PLEASE :)

Thats all the photos I have, is there something specific you want to see or from a certain angle?

Oblivion
04-07-2012, 09:33 AM
Can you make another and how much would it be? Verry interested & jelous.:inquisiti

I could get another made or more if other people are interested too, I can call it Oblivion Racing Spec Uglypipe Modification or 'ORSUM' for short hahaha :P . Im not sure about price as I got it made a couple years ago, I'll find out in the next couple weeks for you though.

veegeeta
04-07-2012, 09:56 AM
That would be great if you can do 1 for me ,Please keep us informed .:anxious::rolleyes4
I could get another made or more if other people are interested too, I'll can call it Oblivion Racing Spec Uglypipe Modification or 'ORSUM' for short hahaha :P . Im not sure about price as I got it made a couple years ago, I'll find out in the next couple weeks for you though.

sampsulo
04-07-2012, 10:26 AM
do i smell a GB!!!!!! lol.....im interested too...what else did you change on one part?

hbkuk1
04-07-2012, 06:14 PM
i could be interested i was thinking of trying to equalize toe pipe lenghts altho if this would help flow or not i dont know as there not the same lengths after the turbos eather

Colin Wiltshire
04-07-2012, 07:14 PM
I'd be interested in that pipe too.

jjayokocha
04-07-2012, 09:12 PM
good job, it looks great. i want one, i want one :) ha ha

Gly
05-07-2012, 04:14 AM
keep in mind this pipe may not be interchangeable from auto to manual as there are different clearance's and the radiator hose is different,
also i see this is not designed around standard piping or airbox.

Oblivion
05-07-2012, 07:18 AM
do i smell a GB!!!!!! lol.....im interested too...what else did you change on one part?

With that pipe there is also a silicone hose that reduces in diameter to join to the turbo, you can see it in the photo with the pipe installed. I'll try find more when I see about getting the pipe made soon, really busy at the moment so sorry if it takes a week or two.

Oblivion
05-07-2012, 07:27 AM
Ah that's fantastic. Do you have one for the rear turbo? What's the measurement of this pipe? Looks to me I can just buy the s/s piece ad have them mig welded here and join. Including the reducers. This is nice. What does it look like post MAF?

Rear turbo: Coming directly out of the turbo is a hard pipe which I think is stock, then I have a 90 degree turn hard pipe which replaces a flexi pipe. Do you mean measurement of the pipe diameter? Post MAF - pre turbo is stock apart from the ugly pipe replacement.

i could be interested i was thinking of trying to equalize toe pipe lenghts altho if this would help flow or not i dont know as there not the same lengths after the turbos eather

I think I know what you mean now, equal length to the turbos? I'd say it would be possible if you change around the rest of the intake side.... but like you said they're gonna be unequal on the other side of the turbos so it might not be worth the hassle unless you're also changing to bigger turbos and want to get the most out of them.
Hmmm the rear turbo has shorter pipe in and long out, front turbo is longer in but shorter out so maybe the overall length of each works out to be roughly the same?

keep in mind this pipe may not be interchangeable from auto to manual as there are different clearance's and the radiator hose is different,
also i see this is not designed around standard piping or airbox.

Yeah almost definitely wont work with an auto if the original pipe is shaped to fit around the auto box.
Im not sure how close it would run to the standard airbox, Gly is right as he pointed out that I am not using the standard airbox with this. Maybe someone wants to check how close that original ugly pipe gets to the airbox and take a pic?
The other pipe I changed replaces the plastic one that comes off the throttle body and the flexi thats joined to that, these dont come very close to where the ugly pipe goes so it shouldnt matter if you have the stock ones.

wintertidenz
05-07-2012, 08:20 AM
The standard pipe sits on top of the transmission itself. It's almost impossible to remove with the filter in place... however if you went straight from the turbo across to where the ATF filter sits and then up, it would fit. I'm not sure if that would fit with the standard airbox however.

Next time the car is in the garage I'll strip down the intake slightly and take pictures to show what I mean.

veegeeta
05-07-2012, 10:15 AM
I still want one Im in a fto/manual i know it will work for me /thankyou

hbkuk1
05-07-2012, 09:52 PM
Rear turbo: Coming directly out of the turbo is a hard pipe which I think is stock, then I have a 90 degree turn hard pipe which replaces a flexi pipe. Do you mean measurement of the pipe diameter? Post MAF - pre turbo is stock apart from the ugly pipe replacement.

I think I know what you mean now, equal length to the turbos? I'd say it would be possible if you change around the rest of the intake side.... but like you said they're gonna be unequal on the other side of the turbos so it might not be worth the hassle unless you're also changing to bigger turbos and want to get the most out of them.
Hmmm the rear turbo has shorter pipe in and long out, front turbo is longer in but shorter out so maybe the overall length of each works out to be roughly the same?

yes thats what i mean cant decide it it would help or not , and i wish i knew how to quote stuff properly

swinks
05-07-2012, 11:32 PM
Some dimensions for you guys.
Turbo intake is approx. 45mm OD
Rubber Y-splitter exits have 63mm OD

Front turbo (manual versions) can be done by:
- 63mm ID long straight silicone hose (intake flexi silicone reinforced)
- 63mm t-piece aluminium with dv outlet
- 63mm to 45mm silicone elbow reducer 90 degree

Rear turbo:
- 63mm ID silicone elbow 90 degree
- 63mm aluminum coupler
- 63mm to 45mm silicone reducer elbow 90 degree

Have a fun

Oblivion
17-07-2012, 09:53 AM

Just re-read this thread again and Im not too sure I understand your question completely, but I also changed the pipe that goes to the throttle body (replaces the standard plastic pipe and flexi pipe). I've got some pics somewhere to show what I mean. On the other side of the engine are two hard pipes that replace the two flexis.
By the way the diameter of the ugly pipe replacement is about 63mm.

I've been to the fabricator and to make another polished pipe thats all nice and shiny, including the silicone reducer and clamps the total is going to be $130 NZD. If you are wondering about quality the workmanship is top notch, I've had this on for at least two years with various boost settings/ trackdays etc and had zero problems.
Getting them made means I'll have to leave my car at the workshop for a while so he can make exact copies and be sure they all fit so I'd rather go once and get them all done than several times and be car-less a few times!

sampsulo
17-07-2012, 11:09 AM
So when you going?

Oblivion
18-07-2012, 10:33 AM
So when you going?

Well its my first time doing something like this but I think to be fair I'll confirm the numbers, take payments and then get them done?

I can also have any of the other hard pipes (that simply replace the standard flexis) made while Im there if anyone's interested.

veegeeta
18-07-2012, 10:40 AM
just to let you know still verry keen on this pipe:thumbsup:

Oblivion
22-07-2012, 07:21 AM
just to let you know still verry keen on this pipe:thumbsup:

Sweet, sounded like there was a couple other 'maybes' but they seem to have gone quiet now lol.
Sampa are you still using the standard airbox or have you had a look to see how much clearance there is? I wish I still had a standard box around to see!

veegeeta
22-07-2012, 07:46 AM
not sure about the others but im ready to buy right now if you are:p something ive been after for a long time now.
Sweet, sounded like there was a couple other 'maybes' but they seem to have gone quiet now lol.
Sampa are you still using the standard airbox or have you had a look to see how much clearance there is? I wish I still had a standard box around to see!

sampsulo
25-07-2012, 11:18 AM
yes i am...still standard airbox.....what clearance would you like me to measure for you?

Oblivion
25-07-2012, 11:42 AM
yes i am...still standard airbox.....what clearance would you like me to measure for you?

Do you think you could take a photo of the standard pipe and airbox in place? Particularly how close together they are? You will need to take off the plastic pipe that comes off the throttle body and the flexi pipe thats joined to that to get a clear view. While its off try measuring across the standard pipe, 65mm wide near where it joins at the top. If you imagine the standard pipe being 65mm wide all the way down instead of that weird shape it should give you a good idea if it would fit.

Oblivion
13-08-2012, 07:06 AM
veegeeta I can go ahead with just yours if you like, I know you've been waiting a while! Not sure how long you could be waiting otherwise.

veegeeta
13-08-2012, 11:36 AM
yip yee Im ready to go sent you pm thanks mate/Banana and to those who miss out/Nuuu
veegeeta I can go ahead with just yours if you like, I know you've been waiting a while! Not sure how long you could be waiting otherwise.

Billy_b
22-08-2012, 10:20 PM
What the plus side off doing pipe cause me an a mate was saying how the skylines run two pipes to the turbos but i no there a AFM on the legnum or could you run the front turbo on a new pipe with a airfilter ??

Oblivion
27-08-2012, 01:31 AM
What the plus side off doing pipe cause me an a mate was saying how the skylines run two pipes to the turbos but i no there a AFM on the legnum or could you run the front turbo on a new pipe with a airfilter ??

Theoretically a straighter pipe is better for airflow. You could run a pipe with just a filter on it and remove the MAF but the ecu would need to be tuned for this.

Billy_b
27-08-2012, 10:24 PM
Theoretically a straighter pipe is better for airflow. You could run a pipe with just a filter on it and remove the MAF but the ecu would need to be tuned for this.

Could you not just run the rear on the MAF an front on a pipe an filter

scott.mohekey
27-08-2012, 10:41 PM
Could you not just run the rear on the MAF an front on a pipe an filter

Well, yes. Physically you could. But the maf would only be seeing half of the air going into the engine, which means the ecu would only know about half the air, and only inject half the fuel. So you'd be running very lean and likely cause expensive damage to the engine.

I guess you could retune the ecu to double the amount of fuel per load reading or something, but its not really an ideal solution.

Kenneth
27-08-2012, 10:47 PM
Well, yes. Physically you could. But the maf would only be seeing half of the air going into the engine, which means the ecu would only know about half the air, and only inject half the fuel. So you'd be running very lean and likely cause expensive damage to the engine.

I guess you could retune the ecu to double the amount of fuel per load reading or something, but its not really an ideal solution.

Fairly close to ideal and what is commonly referred to as a MAF bypass.
The main issue is that you then need to balance the air flow behind the MAF / in front of the turbos. This is so that the air flow through the MAF is always proportional to the amount bypassed (which is how the MAF works in the first place). Without this, the turbo attached to the bypass could do something odd (say slightly sticky wastegate or some such) and result in far more air bypassing the MAF and causing a dangerously lean condition.

scott.mohekey
27-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Fairly close to ideal and what is commonly referred to as a MAF bypass.
The main issue is that you then need to balance the air flow behind the MAF / in front of the turbos. This is so that the air flow through the MAF is always proportional to the amount bypassed (which is how the MAF works in the first place). Without this, the turbo attached to the bypass could do something odd (say slightly sticky wastegate or some such) and result in far more air bypassing the MAF and causing a dangerously lean condition.

Yeah, the complexities of balancing the air flow are what I was alluding to when I said 'not really an ideal solution'.

Oblivion
05-09-2012, 11:22 AM
veegeeta your shiny new pipe ready to be sent.

veegeeta
05-09-2012, 01:13 PM
verry nice mate /GJ can't wait to see it turn up/woot2

veegeeta
12-09-2012, 10:47 AM
Thanks mate got it today . Have some rep mate good job :thumbsup: All you others that were interested need to get onto this, very well made and light as a feather.
veegeeta your shiny new pipe ready to be sent.

roryfromnz
12-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Oh my just seen this and would love one too if thats even possible!

Oblivion
14-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Oh my just seen this and would love one too if thats even possible!

Its possible, maybe not too soon though. I'd like to try one with a standard airbox to see if it all fits as it would be easier if more were all made at the same time rather than going back and forth all the time.

Oblivion
03-12-2012, 04:17 AM
roryfromnz (or anyone else) if you're still keen on one of those pipes Im going to the fabricator this Thursday.

hbkuk1
03-12-2012, 07:23 AM
I'm keen how much?

scott.mohekey
03-12-2012, 07:58 AM
I'm also interested.

roryfromnz
03-12-2012, 08:43 AM
Yes please how much are you looking?

Oblivion
03-12-2012, 10:48 AM
$130NZD + shipping to where ever you are. Within NZ should only be about $5 courier.
Reminder: Not for Autos, unsure if it fits with standard airbox

scott.mohekey
03-12-2012, 07:01 PM
What would the turn around be like?

roryfromnz
03-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Sounds good when do you need the $$

Colin Wiltshire
03-12-2012, 09:04 PM
Yes, still interersted, pm me payment details etc

Oblivion
04-12-2012, 07:43 AM
Checked with him today and hes super busy so I've had to delay going for a week, I'll be there next Thursday the 13th now. At least this gives us a little more time to get sorted lol.
Turnaround as in how long till they're ready? Shouldnt be too long, I'd say they would be ready to ship a the end of the following week.
I would need to have the money by the 13th so I can pay him when I go.

So I have:
1. Colin - Keen
2. Rory - Keen
3. Scott - Keen
4. Rich - maybe?

scott.mohekey
04-12-2012, 07:56 AM
That sounds good to me. Count me in!

Oblivion
10-12-2012, 02:30 AM
PMs have been sent to the above 4 people.

Oblivion
15-12-2012, 07:33 AM
colin-wiltshire scott roryfromnz I had some oil pressure issues while at the fabricator so everything took much longer than expected (luckily I dont need a new engine just yet!), this resulted in no time being left for the pipes. He's booked solid through till next year but hes agreed to push some things aside and fit me in in again on Wednesday for the pipes to get done. Sorry for the delay, after theyre all tacked up and test fitted on Wednesday they'll be finished off over the week.

Oblivion
22-12-2012, 10:33 AM
If you guys want to see your pipes I'll post the pics I took as I boxed them up.

In future if I get any more done the price will have to go up a little, the cost ended up being slightly more.

AKKO
19-04-2014, 05:26 PM
So those with these replacement pipes have vta Bov's located elsewhere I gather?

Colin Wiltshire
19-04-2014, 06:01 PM
So those with these replacement pipes have vta Bov's located elsewhere I gather?

This pipe doesn't affect bov placement, so won't need to move bov at all.

Trotty
19-04-2014, 11:34 PM
That pipe doesn't have a plumb back pipe. So mister plod will love the pssshhhhhh. MR bov sound **** too. I've tried it. Lol. 2nd the car stalls and jerks and runs like **** with it not plumbed back In.

AKKO
25-04-2014, 01:21 PM
This pipe doesn't affect bov placement, so won't need to move bov at all.

No offence intended looks good, glad there are fabricators out there willing to make stuff for the VR4 at such reasonable prices.

Was just querying what others had done, as Dan pointed out I noticed the absence of the plumb back joiner is all.

Colin Wiltshire
25-04-2014, 03:21 PM
No offence intended looks good, glad there are fabricators out there willing to make stuff for the VR4 at such reasonable prices.

Was just querying what others had done, as Dan pointed out I noticed the absence of the plumb back joiner is all.

None taken dude, I have a vta which is sat on top the engine, so I never looked at side of things. Also haven't fitted it yet.

Cairnsy
14-05-2014, 07:44 AM
Id be interested n one of these pipes also

Br1jzl
04-06-2015, 08:42 AM
Does anyone know what the pipe that plumbs off the front pipe is for and what have people done with it?

Nick Mann
04-06-2015, 10:05 AM
I don't understand the description. Got a picture?

hbkuk1
04-06-2015, 11:57 AM
Are these pipes still available?

Br1jzl
06-06-2015, 09:04 AM
The hose that goes/comes from the blow off, I've tried to take a pic, but it's 100% clear.72563

Nick Mann
06-06-2015, 12:32 PM
Okay, so you have three pipes to the stock bov. The small one is the reference, the vertical one is the post turbo side (pressure) and the horizontal one you have pictured is the pre turbo (inlet) side.
When the reference pipe pressure is less than the pressure at the bov it opens the valve and releases pressure back to the inlet. If you are changing your bov to a vent to atmosphere type then you must blank off the pre turbo pipework.

Br1jzl
07-06-2015, 02:51 PM
So if I want to keep the bov as a plumb back and not as atmospheric, how is done with the pipe mentioned in this thread?

Nick Mann
08-06-2015, 07:23 PM
No idea. The pipe in this thread looks like it doesn't allow for recirculating BOVs.

Br1jzl
09-06-2015, 09:04 AM
Do you know the size of the pipe, is it 34 or 25mm??

Nick Mann
09-06-2015, 11:06 AM
34mm would be close but I don't know exactly.

Br1jzl
07-08-2015, 04:30 PM
Hey guys and girls,
Just thought i would post up a solution if you want it to plum back.

I got a 51mm to 63mm 90 degree silicone, a 63mm to 51mm 45 degree silicone hose, a 51mm straight pipe, and a 63mm t piece with a 34/35mm spout.

All the silicone hose,clamps and the straight pipe i got from www.bestpowerracing.com really good to deal with, cheap and quality is really good with but they don't do the t piece, so ebay will have to do.

Sorry don't have any pics but hope it helps.