PDA

View Full Version : nurburgring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

richieelliott
10-07-2003, 06:49 PM
hi all its the most defect ridden vr4 owner in britain! richie! im off to the nurburgring in august if my car is fit which it should be pending brakes and ecu remap ill hope fully get some good pics and a good bit of video as im going with ten bikes ill let you know how i get on and show you all the pics when i get back early september!:cool1:

LOMY
10-07-2003, 06:57 PM
Hi Richie.

Give those bikes a good kicking for us en-route. Even if they get you on the straights you can have them in the twisties :Eyecrazy:

richieelliott
10-07-2003, 07:03 PM
ill try mate but they are loons! just put eagle f1s all round for some extra grip if that doesnt work ill resort to dick dastardly tactics

twist
18-07-2003, 11:29 AM
hey tell me when you get there....

we could meet us there , and drive some laps together :D

but don´t forget the ring is dangerus:nono:

and take enough brake pads with you

just tell me when you are there i live 30km away from the ring ...and turn nearly every weekend some laps with my twist on it

there are not mutch galants (legnum) there and i am happy for every galant i can see there

most time of the year i am the only mitsubishi galant there

yours sincerely

pablo

richieelliott
18-07-2003, 04:16 PM
ok pablo im arriving in germany on the 26th and leaving on the 29th of aug if you leave me a number ill call you when we are gonna be going on

richie

richieelliott
15-08-2003, 07:24 PM
update not long to go before i go but have mounted a digital video cam in the back and have tested it out good pic out the back but inside mirror obstructs view from front gonna get a mount for the track at the very least it will be live footage of a legnum death! also my barometric sensor is tits and is goona cost me £435 to be replaced! expensive ! or what ps exeter mitsubishi is now a ralliart dealership if any one is interested?:Ponder:

richieelliott
15-08-2003, 07:26 PM
ooh and have fitted an oil spill slick mount in the boot to foil those determined bikers. lol and a drawing pin dispenser if they really start pushing me!:D

BraindG
15-08-2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by richieelliott
ooh and have fitted an oil spill slick mount in the boot to foil those determined bikers. lol and a drawing pin dispenser if they really start pushing me!:D

cunning :D

Spirit
15-08-2003, 08:55 PM
Richie

Have a fine time my man !

When you come back can you give me a shout - may need to ask you a massive favour about borrowing your wheels for a bit :D I will tell you more when your back mate.

Oh yeah - and try not to break too much mate.

Pete

richieelliott
17-08-2003, 02:06 PM
if there are wheels on it still you can borrow them pete ill just have to put skis on instead

Spirit
17-08-2003, 02:29 PM
LOL - sorry mate should have explained really.

I am still trying to cure my 80mph wheel wobble and no matter how many times I have my wheels balanced and tracking done it never cures it.

No-one of course can guarantee a new set of alloys/tyres will cure this either so I was hoping we could swap wheels just so I could see if yours cured it and then I would invest in some new ones. Would hate to part with £800 - £1200 and still have the problem.

Cheers mate

Pete

richieelliott
17-08-2003, 02:33 PM
no problem but dont leave me with your wobbly wheels!!! am still winding ftoltd up he/she is a right touchy monkey ha haha

Spirit
17-08-2003, 02:47 PM
Saw that mate - had to put a warning on the thread - soz.

Thought we could meet one afternoon and just jack up the cars and swap wheels there and then and then straight back afterwards - would much appreciate it and of course buy you a couple pints after (shandy of course !)

Pete

zedy1
17-08-2003, 06:00 PM
dont think there your wheels mate

Spirit
17-08-2003, 11:46 PM
I have a gut feeling it ain't the wheels either mate - but need to prove it once and for all before I take the car back to Mitsy

zedy1
18-08-2003, 12:20 AM
fair enough

Spirit
18-08-2003, 12:21 AM
/shaking in his boots (and wallet) about what it could be ! :Cry1:

zedy1
18-08-2003, 12:32 AM
dont worry m8!:nono: i thin youre not the only one

Spirit
18-08-2003, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by zedy11
dont worry m8!:nono: i thin youre not the only one

Thanks but that don't make me feel any better :(

richieelliott
18-08-2003, 12:14 PM
has any one seen twist around online?

chris g
19-08-2003, 08:37 AM
Richie

You need to know that video cameras are NOT allowed to be used on the Ring

Cars are checked from time to time and if a camera is in plain sight and seen then you will be turned away until you remove the camera

Get a bullet cam and fix it out of sight lokking thru bumpers or some other part of car

I am going for my fourth visit of the year Sept 12-15 when I shoud complete over 400 laps of the Ring - and I think I am getting a good line and speed now thru most of the corners
Company welcome!

As Twist said, remember the place is dangerous and NOT the place to think you can go fast just because you have a fast car

Enjoy the place but take care

Chris

BraindG
19-08-2003, 09:45 AM
I watched a vid of one of the evo guys going round the track :Eyecrazy:
and I can see how dangerous it potentially could be, there were a few cases where i thought the driver was out of order, just cutting up bikers (for one) however, he was driving like he had been there many times before :io:
a man possessed :D - but I could see my self there, trundling along enjoying my pace, and swoosh, cut up by a "Uber elite" driver..

One day ill make the journey though.. might go play at castleComb first though, seeing as ive never done any track days :(

chris g
19-08-2003, 10:04 AM
You can run into, literally, someone else crash as you go round a blind bend or over a blind crest but usually it is only dangerous if you think you are good and drive like a f'in arsehole

Go to the Ring, drive to enjoy the experience and you will be OK

The dangerous driver on the track is you, going too fast on a road/track that you do not know! There is little run-off but taking care how you drive will not require a run-off area!

Perceived wisdom is you start to REMEMBER the layout after about 50 laps then you might start getting an idea of the line and then gradually start to increase speed

Drive sensibly within your knowledge of the track and it is the greatest driving experience in the World

I felt more at risk at CC than at the Ring due to racing mentality of drivers at CC and more space at Ring for others to get by and just enjoy the drive on the Ring at your pace

For those of nervous disposition don't go to CC unless it is an organised trackday by ET or BaT - more discipline and consideration with these organised days

TOO MANY RACERS at the JAE or other similar special/open days

It is an illusion to think a mickey mouse circuit like CC or other UK tracks are safer/better for the novice particularly when it is JAE or other special days

You know it makes sense - join us at the Ring

Chris

BraindG
19-08-2003, 10:25 AM
its time and money Chris really.. how much does it cost you roughly to get there and back?

chris g
19-08-2003, 10:42 AM
Costs vary depending of course on how much you hammer the car en route to ferry, to and from Ring and then back home from ferry

Not forgetting of course how much you hammer the car at the Ring

I hardly ever check how much it costs - petrol is put on plastic and conversion to sterling on catd takes a month or two and I do not always remeber/notice costs when they show up on statement

I know mileage to ferry then to track - so I know miles to cover

At track you find that tank empties or is nearly empty, for me, usually with VR-4 now I am pushing it harder, within a day - 12-15 laps - 1 lap is approx 13 miles

fuell cheaper abroad as well

Food and drink to pay for - ? cost - how much do you eat/drink

b & b is 45 euros per night single room close to track - you can more or less depending on your need for luxury or economy - and you can be further away for less money

track time depends on how much you want to do but I have a Jahreskarte - a season ticket - so I can do unlimited laps

if anyone wants to visit as a passenger and see it from within another VR-4 and just pay for your room, food and drink then get in touch

Chris

richieelliott
19-08-2003, 02:58 PM
chris thanks for the tip about camera very useful.. didnt know that will have to hide it.mmmmm where do you go for parts and support just incase?

richieelliott
19-08-2003, 02:59 PM
and am still trying to find twist to see if he wants to meet but havent found him yet

chris g
19-08-2003, 10:15 PM
Hiding a std video camera is going to be difficult

If you hide it and they spot it then you may never be allowed get on track AND no refunds

If they are OK about a hidden camera then they may just check the whole car for cameras but expexct the worse if caught with a hidden camera

Best go for a bullet cam discreetly located and connected to a video camera or to a full size video recorder which must again be well out of site - not a suspicious pile on back seat or in foot well with wires trailing to it

They do get that close to cars to see such things and are quite observant

You have been warNE

For support I have the RAC European Breakdown

Seriously, it may have to be a BIG city some many miles away, somewhere - Twist might be able to tell you

Only trouble I have had is running out of brakes at Ring on way to A1-Ring and Spa

Ended up driving carefully around Ring, I hardly use my brakes anyway compared to the hard-chargers on this site

AND

I then bought brakes pads and had them fitted in Belgium not far from racetrack at Spa itself

Take spares with you - pads, oil at least and there are garages close by - Ring Racing are a notable service close by - Ring regulars INSERT INTO post VALUES (Ringers) or track staff should be able to direct you, hopefully

Enjoy and take care - people have been killed on first visit and after hundreds of laps

Chris

richieelliott
19-08-2003, 10:40 PM
got spare pads, spare oil, tools and stuff but am quite shocked about the whole video camera thing looked at a few websites and noone said nuffin about it but ill have to have a think going on tuesday so not a lot of time. i know people die there 1 a month but its a once in a lifetime chance to see and drive a real race track behind your own wheels.
am gonna be taking it easy in the morning may have a push in the afternoon if dry. if i smash it you can have the spares when you get over in september! :D

richieelliott
19-08-2003, 10:43 PM
and aa and all the other gumpf to travel insurance etc oh and eight nutters on bikes as well

richieelliott
19-08-2003, 10:47 PM
incidently what does your mitsy top out at mine tops at 150mph limited by something cause it cuts out till 145mph then lets you go again?

zedy1
19-08-2003, 10:52 PM
lets hope u dont smash it

chris g
19-08-2003, 11:00 PM
Ignore everything, the bikers the fast germans in cheap old cars and def ignore that urge to go fast

You could die!

Take it steady ALL DAY except perhaps in a straight line and even then only if you know how straigh and how long that bit is

It can and is that risky pushig it when you do nor know the place!

I do not want your bits just to hear you tell us how good the place is!

Chris

chris g
19-08-2003, 11:21 PM
And by the way, I thought it was at least 1 - ONE PER WEEK - that are killed at the Ring or die in hospital after the crash

If it is your chance in a lifetime make certain you have your lifetime to remember the experience!

Re speed - is your speed checked by a GPS system or are you relying on some other device - the speedo ?

I rely on GPS to tell me speed, position, laptimes etc

I did 146 coming back from A1-Ring in Austria and similar but slower speeds on a few UK motorways

No cutting out/slowing down or anything like that

And 140-146 seems REALLY fast with any cars at all around you or in the distance

Where have you touched 150?

Chris

richieelliott
20-08-2003, 10:21 AM
i have topped it out a few times in the uk usually early hours of the morning got some nice long straight dual carriageways and was using the speedo as an example ( maybe its engine linked?)) and was wondering whether any one else had been foolish enough to push their car any further but when the speedo hits 150mph i have some sort of cut out from the engine til 145mph approx but loads of revs before red line approx 5-6 revs reading and rev limiter cuts in at 7200 so thought you may have been faster ... or hit the limiter but if not no worries ill keep asking and dont worry mate ill be taking my time round the ring i love my car too much and pete wants to borrow my wheels... lol but thanks for your advice and let me know how your trip goes shame we are not going at the same time id like to see another mitsy there and hopefully twist will get back to me.

richieelliott
23-08-2003, 12:53 PM
26th we arrive germany in the evening and 27th is the ring day! all day! 28th is touring and leave on the 29th :Cry1: we are staying at the

Etap Hotel
Hinter der Junungenstrasse 13
Weissenthurm
0049 261 26602

regards

Richie Elliott

richieelliott
23-08-2003, 12:55 PM