PDA

View Full Version : Putting dynamat on front doors

LudviG
04-07-2012, 06:29 AM
I just got in from removing the door cards from the front doors to apply dynamat to them, but i realized i have some questions. Should dynamat cover the holes in the foor, or just apply to bare metal?

I am also glad for any advice on this :)

MarkSanne
04-07-2012, 08:19 AM
Do not cover the holes at the bottom of the doors! These are used the drain water out. If they are closed/blocked water will both find it's way into the cabin and will cause rust inside your doors.

LudviG
04-07-2012, 08:42 AM
I hopefully know about those, but thanks anyway. To make it more clear what i mean i posted a pic with said holes marked :)

MarkSanne
04-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Ah those... I would cover them up for optimal result. I've done that on one of the cars and it sounds slightly better, but mostly prevents rattling of stuff.

LudviG
04-07-2012, 10:19 AM
Ok, will do that then. A bit more work for the opening mechanism and cables, but if it is better i'll do the extra :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Nick Mann
04-07-2012, 01:01 PM
I haven't done my doors yet, but I plan to cover as much of those holes as I can. I also wanted to spray some wax inside the doors too, before I restrict access.

LudviG
04-07-2012, 02:41 PM
That sounds smart. Maybe i should do that too before i do this. What kind of wax is used for the doors?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

CANDEE
04-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Do a layer on the outer skins first, then do the outerskin with dynamat.

You can cover the service holes as well, but that means you have to cut the dynamat to get into the door for any given reason.

My mate had a good idea and covered them with plugs from McDonalds type trays covered in sound deadening and screwed on with a gasket of rubber to seal it as much as possible.

wintertidenz
06-07-2012, 09:36 PM
The plastic real estate signs also work a treat - coreflute I think they call the stuff. Cut it to size, put it in place, Dynamat over the top, and then gently score the Dynamat around the coreflute so you know where the panel is for access.

LudviG
08-07-2012, 09:16 AM
Do a layer on the outer skins first, then do the outerskin with dynamat.

You can cover the service holes as well, but that means you have to cut the dynamat to get into the door for any given reason.

My mate had a good idea and covered them with plugs from McDonalds type trays covered in sound deadening and screwed on with a gasket of rubber to seal it as much as possible.

Read this too late, had already done a door. I covered the serviceholes, but will keep in mind the plasctic covers if i have to cut the dynamat for any given reason.