PDA

View Full Version : Ecu

Polabear
02-01-2005, 05:55 PM
Found this on the GTOUK forum.....http://www.carelect.demon.co.uk/mitind.html

doesn't sound good does it....?

adam_shaw
02-01-2005, 06:32 PM
I'm not terribly inspired when I see such a page though? If you have the know how to re-engineer (by which I assume they mean benchtop SMD rework) I would expect a more competent web page.

Could just be the sceptic in me? Anyone heard about this before?

A

Roadrunner
02-01-2005, 08:43 PM
Pure scaremongering so people will use "our low-cost ECU inspection service". Has anyone ever heard of an ECU "failing early in vehicle life"? I haven't, and I don't recall it ever being discussed here.

nick-f1
03-01-2005, 12:58 AM
I'm not terribly inspired when I see such a page though? If you have the know how to re-engineer (by which I assume they mean benchtop SMD rework) I would expect a more competent web page.

Could just be the sceptic in me? Anyone heard about this before?

A

Yep I,ve heard of this before, and I think its the same company who bombarded me with emails when I had my Rover 600 turbo. I had a problem with the alternator which a friend said could be ecu related. Turned out it wasn't - only slip rings which a local electrical repair centre fixed cheaply for me (£16).
Anyway my aforementioned friend put a question on an MG forum with my bloody email addy and this lot replied numerous times!!!! Same old story ecu gives up prematurely ,but by using their service they'll fix it up before it fails.......... Yeah right! :rolleyes:

wirdy
03-01-2005, 02:09 AM
I guess we're only a small representative sample, but have not heard of anyone on the site having a ECU failure and alot of our cars are into their eighth year now.

In any case, would be a good excuse to upgrade to an aftermarket ECU anyway, rather than give the dealer a whole heap of money :p

Polabear
03-01-2005, 11:39 AM
Thats as maybe folks, but a few of the guy's in the GTO owners club have had to have theirs repaired already, and its all down to leaking capacitors, which is a very insidious, sneaky little fault, which if let go can cause moreb damage than just cap replacement.

zentac
03-01-2005, 06:13 PM
I had one fail on a 1991 VR4

michaeli
03-01-2005, 09:51 PM
Me too.....

1993 7G VR4, ECU failed, got it refurbed though... £100...Inc VAT and Labour.. :(

If you ask me they're just trying to drum up business...... :lipsrseal

v8killa
22-01-2005, 05:28 AM
I get mine back after a major ECU failure on new years eve...
Fly to Auckland to pick up tomorrow morning...

Wodjno
22-01-2005, 12:05 PM
Think it's scaremongering too .. Just trying to drum up some business .. if you click on the link for first page you will see that they have listed problems for almost every manufacturer ..