PDA

View Full Version : Eeek eeeek, a new oil leak!!!!

Legnum Boy
02-01-2005, 10:26 PM
Thread title says it all.
Noticed a few patches of oil on the wet road surface outside my house the other morning. I just knew it had to be my car...
Earlier today, jacked her up onto some stands and took off the under tray to investigate, thinking more gearbox troubles... :dozey:
The good news is.... the gearbox is not leaking.
The bad news, prehaps extremely bad news is, it looks like the oil is coming out from near the front turbo.... :sad3:
The under tray was caked, with the most deposit being directly under the front turbo. The alternator (I think) was covered in it, and all pipes and hose in the area are pretty mucky. Cleaned the area up as best I could from beneath with a rag only to find what looks like a scorch mark on the turbos lower oil feed/return. I will try and get a piccy of it tomorrow and post it here for expert analysis. I will also be getting the engine steam cleaned from the bottom to hopefully get a clearer idea of the leaks location.
Needless to say, shes off the road til further notice, again....... :rolleyes5

Legnum Boy
02-01-2005, 11:53 PM
Just had a crazy thought..... please feel free to flame me if its way stupid :flamer1:

If the turbo has been fried due to oil starvation, and assuming I can get a short manifold/gasket set bodged up, what would happen if I stuck my T25 on from the nissan. It looks like there's enough room for it. Would it act similar to a sequential twin turbo set up, due to the increase in lag for the increase in turbo size.... or would it cause problems that I can't see for not looking... :$

Physician
03-01-2005, 12:15 AM
As my garage said to me once -'very often large oil leaks are nothing serious'.

I know bu**er all about engines and I think the picture is the other side of the engine to your problem but if not ......... I had loads of oil on the ground and it was only a split hose that connects at the point arrowed. Fixed in 30 secs - hope yours is the same pal.

http://homepage.mac.com/rgdavies2000/.Pictures/one.jpg

Kalle
06-05-2006, 09:02 PM
I have a similar problem with a front turbo oil leak! I also get some black smoke when I put my foot down on it.

What is the advice on driving it? What could happen if I continue to drive it? (worst case scenario)

I have a track day booked next saturday, but maybe that is not a good idea then?