PDA

View Full Version : Failed emissions?? Just an idea?

Humpty's Revenge
10-07-2012, 04:51 PM
As we all know getting throw emissions with your good old trusty legnum vr4 couldn't be so easy..........not

Now if your mad enough :thinking2 yes I just might be :lipsrseal

Then I know when I have finished my conversion then what's the chance of passing said problem?

:idea2:

Simples I here you all shout...........:shocked: :rolleyes3

Well I've got a plan................:smoking:

Why not 2 cats 56162 No not that type of cat /haz

This type 56163

One after the other!!!

Just replace the center section of exhaust with one that could be made to fit & away you go...........Where?

Straight throw emissions!!:d

There is no law stating there has only got to be 56164 cat? in line or not!

Colin Wiltshire
10-07-2012, 05:24 PM
You never know, it might go through with just 1 cat.

SEAN-NZ
11-07-2012, 12:04 AM
sounds like an idea IF it doesnt, makes me glad i dont have to worry about emission testing in nz, yet, arent cats rather expensive?

Chris.W
11-07-2012, 12:27 AM
According to my local MOT guy, the 6A13TT engine code dose NOT appear on the VOSA emisions testing computer, beeing that it is suposed to be a JDM only engine.
He then went on to say, and i quote "these jap imports, they never make what they are supposed to." before handing over my pass chit.
As the VOSA guidelines are just that, guidelines, they leave a lot open to interpritation by the tester on the day. Which unfortunatly puts us in the position where my guy will say it's all groovy and yours may use the proposed readings from an N/A V6 thus leading to a failure.

As for the use of cat's, in previous years gone by if the vehicle was manufactured before Aug '92 then a cat was not a legal requirement. Most newer & modified "grey imports", again dependant on tester, would pass without a cat due to them leaving Japan without one fitted. However, i belive the motoring nazis have now stuck thair beaks in and said that if the car left the manufacturer with a cat fitted, by law it must be presant at time of test. I have asked my guy if by "presant" he would accept it beeing in a box in the boot? To which he laughed and said that's one very loose way to interperat the term "presant".

I usually just leave mine in the workshop and remind the guy that he passed it the year before, and it's his call.

Kryton
11-07-2012, 12:57 AM
Far better use of a cat here Steve:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePNdcdNm9fY

John TheAntique
11-07-2012, 01:56 PM
I thought you were going to use a Vipec, in which case simply tune it out just before you go to the test and put it back to normal after.