PDA

View Full Version : real world ayc ?

Wobble
10-07-2012, 10:23 PM
As i have only driven vr4's with AYC what are the real world handling and cornering characteristics of a vr4 with an open rear diff compared to AYC?

Track and road use .

As much detail as possible would be great if you have experience between the two.

SEAN-NZ
10-07-2012, 11:53 PM
from what ive read, if the ayc fuse is pulled it just works as an open diff, although i may be wrong, just an idea

c0xxy
11-07-2012, 12:07 AM
pulling the relay by the battery definitely turns it off.
can't say that i noticed any difference in less spirited driving,and when really giving it some, i only really noticed going in to smaller islands in wet weather or on crap roads.
i would suggest pulling the relay or fuse and finding out for your self, gives a different kind of enjoyment

Wobble
11-07-2012, 09:21 AM
sounds like a plan - apart from the small fact i dont have a vr4 and want to buy one and want to know what the difference is between the rear diff and how that will affect the car :sigh:

Wodjno
11-07-2012, 09:39 AM
Dave

Just buy a car with working AYC.. Drive it for a while.. Then disconnect and drive with non working AYC(open diff) Then if you don't like it revert back to AYC /yes

Nick Mann
11-07-2012, 11:08 AM
The car is more neutral when cornering with AYC. I have driven a VR4 without working AYC for a long time and I find it slightly less rewarding when powering through a corner without it, but I don't believe it made a significant difference to my speed.

Without AYC you can unsettle the car more with your right foot when in a corner, you need to feed the throttle in better to achieve slingshot corner exits, rather than just mash the accelerator and let the AYC do its thing. The front end does have a tendancy to push wide if you drive it like that and the AYC isn't working.

It's still a surefooted car whether the AYC is working or not.

Humpty's Revenge
11-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Dave

Just buy a car with working AYC.. Drive it for a while.. Then disconnect and drive with non working AYC(open diff) Then if you don't like it revert back to AYC /yes

I think Dave is asking Glenn because he's looking at (to buy or not buy) a vr4 that hasn't got the AYC?

Wodjno
11-07-2012, 04:26 PM
I think Dave is asking Glenn because he's looking at (to buy or not buy) a vr4 that hasn't got the AYC?

Steve! I know that.. But why risk buying something that may or may not suit. When you can just buy 1 with both.. If you like then can swap over to open diff. Or like me run for 3 1/2 years with Non working(Open Diff) AYC. And as i said, if you don't like then you still have AYC. It makes sense to me :thumbsup:

Humpty's Revenge
11-07-2012, 04:37 PM
Steve! I know that.. But why risk buying something that may or may not suit. When you can just buy 1 with both.. If you like then can swap over to open diff. Or like me run for 3 1/2 years with Non working(Open Diff) AYC. And as i said, if you don't like then you still have AYC. It makes sense to me :thumbsup:

Furry muff & a valid point my Yodalose friend!/yes

Wobble
11-07-2012, 06:54 PM
again i can see the idea but may not help if the car im interested in is a type v .

Wodjno
11-07-2012, 10:05 PM
again i can see the idea but may not help if the car im interested in is a type v .

I have all the parts you need to convert to AYC :thumbup:

Sent via"The Force" using tapatalk :-)

Wobble
12-07-2012, 11:05 AM
/duh

Wodjno
12-07-2012, 12:26 PM
/duh

Just covering all options :D

Gly
12-07-2012, 11:17 PM
if you drive "normally" you will not notice the lack of ayc,

ayc comes into play when your pushing it, and when the road conditions arnt ideal (slippy or loose serface)
ayc is more point and squirt, and let it do its thing.

the lack of ayc in these conditions you will have to be more careful, as it will be more driver involved.

you can bolt in a evo LSD into the type-v diff. for better handling,

it is stronger than the ayc as the housing is steal and less prone to twisting and blowing up when stressed

SEAN-NZ
13-07-2012, 04:08 AM
does the ayc have any affect when not on the throttle? for example breaking on gravel i can get 1 or 2 bars, just wandering if that affects keeping the car in a straight line

wintertidenz
13-07-2012, 10:42 AM
It usually does help with keeping the car in a straight line when it activates under braking, yes.

I remember driving Brad's old Winning Turquoise VR-4 round a roundabout after driving mine, and the back seemed to want to step out a bit more when pushing it. This was a while ago though, and my memory gets worse by the day :P