PDA

View Full Version : Audio 2-way or 3-way

scc
03-01-2005, 05:02 PM
I just got myself a new stereo which can be setup as 2-way or a 3-way.

I'm not an audio man, and so does anyone know if the V6 Galant's speaker setup a 2-way or a 3-way system?

Cheers!
scc

Nick Mann
03-01-2005, 05:36 PM
:thinking:

Not entirely sure I understand. The speakers in the front doors are 2-way, the rear speakers are 'wide range', but why should the stereo care? Can you control the crossover from the head-unit?

konman
03-01-2005, 09:57 PM
tell you what you need mate is a head unit with a high pass filter, a large amp and a large sub in the boot. set the head unit to run high and mid to your front and rear doors, then run everything else through the sub, mate youll then have a system that sounds good and will even be able to shake some windows too. get a head deck that is at least 40 by 4, preferable 50 by 4 then you wont have the sub out power the rest and take the time to set it up, get other people to listen to it, etc and so on. then youll be be sweet.

scc
04-01-2005, 01:12 AM
Thanks for all the input!

I was a bit concerned incase the stereo did anything to the speakers. On the stereo itself there is a physical switch which is either set to 2-way or 3-way according to your speaker setup?

Anyway, it is installed now, and it sounds great! 4 x 60w of power!!!

Big Ian
04-01-2005, 12:59 PM
have you added new (stronger) speaker's? i was running a 4 x40 then changed to a 4 x 45 and changed my front's (150w JVC) to match.then i changed again by adding an ampilfied graphic equliser i'm now putting out 4 x 120..soon to be added with an alpine V12 amp and a pair of 10" rockford sub's i'll only use the amp for the sub's through a remote.

Bal
04-01-2005, 02:27 PM
i think only pezz saw the beast of a sub i was running... Resonant Engineering 2kw XXX sub ...

the ratings for the JVC speakers are max power ratings not RMS so be careful. always check RMS ratings (the headunit will also be rated as max power).

I am currently sorting out all my materials to do a fibreglass boot build :) very exciting.

i have two 10" ppi pro subs. i shall put up some pics as the install begins.

B

Bal
04-01-2005, 02:27 PM
SI im not sure the apline v12 will be good enuf for the RF subs. what are the ratings on the subs and amps ??

scc
05-01-2005, 12:10 AM
have you added new (stronger) speaker's? i was running a 4 x40 then changed to a 4 x 45 and changed my front's (150w JVC) to match.then i changed again by adding an ampilfied graphic equliser i'm now putting out 4 x 120..soon to be added with an alpine V12 amp and a pair of 10" rockford sub's i'll only use the amp for the sub's through a remote.

Nope, I believe they are stock speakers. They already sound loud....

Big Ian
05-01-2005, 02:49 AM
BAL, i made a mistake with the sub size..they are both 12" model RFZ3412 i think the power for these is about 150-400 peak.(not got them yet they are still in my mate's car)
and my amp is an Alpine V12 MRV-F705,1000 watt and can run on either 2,3 or 4 channel's.(it worked well before running 2 Vibe sub's & 2 6x9's)

what do you think? will it all work together
ive started building a curved shape box which i'm going to fibre glass over with 1 sub at each side and the amp in the middle.
should i mount the sub's faceing into the box or out of it?

Bal
07-01-2005, 01:20 PM
now we are getting technical. it's all about cu ft volume within teh sub box. need to find out how much volume you require for your subs. with regard to the amp and sub setup it should all work fine. just check omages if your wiring the subs together. if they are running off each channel then you should be fine.
im starting a FBG install this weekend. should be fun.

make sure the subs are supported on a bit of mdf i.e. they are sitting on a sheet of mdf, the rest of the box can be fibreglass ( use 3 - 5 layers of 5mm fbglass matting).

B