PDA

View Full Version : Climate control panel.

Yoda
04-01-2005, 01:11 AM
So far, from what I've read all the digital climate control panels for VR4's are in Japanease and there is no decode available.

Is this still true of the "official" Ralliart imports sold as UK cars?

Just wondering, anyone shed any light.

Robert.

Nick Mann
04-01-2005, 11:27 AM
There are two types of climate control.

The UK supplied VR4's and some of the others have cimate control which is completely seperate to the stereo. It is the same as climate control fitted to any other UK galant.
The other type is part of a system called MMCS - this is a system that uses a touch screen to control the radio, climate control, and if fitted, TV and Sat Nav. This has not been converted to english, afaik. Search for MMCS and you will learn all about that system.

KiwiTT
06-01-2005, 09:53 AM
As Nick says do a search and their is an English manual for the japanese MMCS system. Costs around NZ$50.

Yoda
13-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Is it possible then to switch over a Legnum (MMCS) system for a UK Galant one, thus changing the whole control panel over and possibly changing stereo into the bargain?

Anyone done or tried this?

Thoughts

Robert.

ritch_w
13-01-2005, 04:39 PM
Kierans probably your best bet for this type of Q

so have you seen a VR4 to buy then?

Legnum Boy
13-01-2005, 10:01 PM
Is it possible then to switch over a Legnum (MMCS) system for a UK Galant one, thus changing the whole control panel over and possibly changing stereo into the bargain?

Anyone done or tried this?

Thoughts

Robert.

I will be attempting that very swap, quite soon.
I wouldn't have bothered, as the jap stuff didn't really bother me, but now its proper broken, I have no choice.
I have just purchased the separate climate control thingy and the dash surround that it fits.

I will post on here regarding the fitting, be it good news or not... :laugh:

Yoda
17-01-2005, 12:21 AM
I will be attempting that very swap, quite soon.
I wouldn't have bothered, as the jap stuff didn't really bother me, but now its proper broken, I have no choice.
I have just purchased the separate climate control thingy and the dash surround that it fits.

I will post on here regarding the fitting, be it good news or not... :laugh:

Waiting in anticipation!

Legnum Boy
17-01-2005, 03:29 AM
Swap done!!!!

Verdict: Complete Success.... :) :) :)

I was lucky to stumble on an eBayer in Japan selling the dash surround complete with the separate aircon controller intact.
2 days after purchase, it arrives.
Yesterday, me pulls the old bit of dash out, removes the Touchscreen, Upright aircon control, and single din stereo headunit.
All the plugs are standard and plug straight into the new aircon controller.
In goes that, with new dash surround.
Then I bodge the old stereo/touchscreen cage to fit back in, and the single din factory stereo now sits on the bottom half of the new double din hole in the dash, and its still works (sort of). ;)

Bit of a lairy description, so I will take some piccys tomorrow and post them here. Will make that bit above easier to understand. :laugh:

The long and short of it,

Yes, the separate aircon controller fits and works as it should. (At last, full control of the aircon again...)

Yes, the stereo still works without the touchscreen attached, but you cannot do much apart from change tracks/radio frequency or turn volume up/down. :sad3:

Kenneth
17-01-2005, 04:11 AM
its a bit of a prick that you have to use the touch screen to change CDS... are the settings stored in the screen unit, or the audio unit? maybe you could put it on random CD play then remove the touchscreen.

Legnum Boy
17-01-2005, 06:11 AM
I got around it by loading the CD's in an order that I could remember.
I could then just skip any by selecting the last track and letting it play to the end of the cd, hence making the changer select the next cd in the stack.

Got it stuck on random play once.... It just plucks songs out of the air, swapping cd's ... well... randomly, I guess :p

I have now gone the whole way and just purchased the original mitsu double din headunit, which should mean that everything is back to standard.

I do miss the old touchscreen, and never really minded driving round off the coast of Japan, but when it went tits up, it was a nightmare. :rolleyes5

Legnum Boy
17-01-2005, 06:43 PM
Pictures as promised. :)

1. The old dash with touchscreen and upright aircon controller.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/edward.blackburn/sell/dash1.jpg

2. The touchscreen and upright aircon controller.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/edward.blackburn/sell/dash2.jpg

3. The plugs on the old aircon controller. The joined black sockets in the middle are the standard fitment. The tube on the right is for the cabin temperature probe and the socket on the left is the output for the touchscreen.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/edward.blackburn/sell/dash3.jpg

4. The new dash and aircon controller.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/edward.blackburn/sell/dash5.jpg

5. The new dash in place, with the double din hole 3/4 plugged up. ;)
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/edward.blackburn/sell/dash4.jpg

6. The new double din stereo which will replace the single din unit and the APEXi AVCR. :thumbsup:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/edward.blackburn/sell/dash6.jpg

Total cost of conversion : £96 + £5 in the swear jar..... There's quite a lot of space to play with, but there's 6 times as many wires than normal. :drummer:

I-S
17-01-2005, 09:28 PM
Next question... is it possible to replace the basic GLS aircon control panel with the climate control panel from the V6? Or are there sensors required that are missing on the GLS?

Legnum Boy
17-01-2005, 09:54 PM
Next question... is it possible to replace the basic GLS aircon control panel with the climate control panel from the V6? Or are there sensors required that are missing on the GLS?

And on that note, I pass you on to the Guru that is Kieran. :$
Having owned both of the aforementioned cars, he will undoubtedly be able to enlighten you. :-b

Nick Mann
17-01-2005, 10:25 PM
The usual problem between air con and climate control is the lack of motorised airflow movement. I'm not sure about the Galant, as all the ones I've owned have had climate, but aircon is usually rotary knobs mechanically joined to the flaps which change airflow direction, etc.

Kieran
18-01-2005, 12:36 AM
And on that note, I pass you on to the Guru that is Kieran. :$
Having owned both of the aforementioned cars, he will undoubtedly be able to enlighten you. :-b

And indeed I can.

Issac.... The short answer is: No you can't. If you've got *ANY* sense.... Stop reading now!....
However....... Yes, I did look at doing this to my GLS. I was going to *ahem* BORROW:embarasse some bits from somewhere, and got both the climate and the standard aircon wiring diagrams photocopied from my Mitsubishi Dealer...

Anyway.....
The GLS aircon system is manual throughout, with just a 'dumb' switch to cut in/out the compressor unit. To convert to climate control, you would need the following....
One V6-24.
One brick to gain access, quickly followed by one set of pliers to disconnect the alarm siren.
The parts of the dealership manual regarding dashboard removal, or my own handy guides! (had to get a plug in somewhere!):-D

From the V6, you would need the following.
The Climate control Unit
The Photo sensor, hidden between the two window demist vents (the GLS has a blank there).
The Air temperature sensor from behind the front bumper assembly (So take along a crowbar to smash off the front bumper too).
The Motors for the Air temperature and Air direction controls, plus the linkages. I believe the GLS heat exchanger unit was of the same design, so these would be a direct fit.
The Air flow temperature sensor, housed between the refrigeration unit and the heat exchanger (this is behind the glovebox)
The auxilliary cabin temperature sensor on the heat exhanger unit.

You would also need to get your wire strippers out and pair off the wiring from the climate control plugs to the various motors and sensors. Having dismantled a wiring loom to extract an MMCS, I would say that you would need to have a serious mental disorder to consider this... What that says about me... :lipsrseal :lipsrseal :rolleyes3

Then in your GLS, you'd need to yank out the manual controls, and then start refitting all of the above......... :rolleyes3 :embarasse
I ended up buying Hordak instead!!!! :laugh:

I-S
18-01-2005, 12:40 AM
Christ.... I'm not suprised.

I think we can sum that up as a "no" then. Anyone got a rear window demist switch with a working bulb (night illumination... not the orange telltale).