PDA

View Full Version : Evo Light weight flywheels

Gly
18-07-2012, 09:42 AM
well im still thinking about this alot,

just been doing a quick bit of searching and our stock flywheel is 18lb???!! (can anyone confirm this?)

anyway, im considering a comp clutch stage 2, (3000lb clamp, Full Face Carbon Kevlar Clutch Kit)

mated to a lightweight flywheel, possibly a fidnaza aluminum job 9.5lb
(anyone have experience with these or any other alloy jobs??)

am i better off going with a all steel flywheel??

now is there a thing as too light?? i dont want to making the car horrible to drive.

SEAN-NZ
18-07-2012, 11:12 AM
apparently it can make take offs harder, never experienced a lightweight flywheel, this is only from what i have read on the subject, due to the lower mass its easier to stop it from turning, but i guess you would get used to it eventually

Gowf
18-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Yes and no...... it all depends on what you want the car to do. Lowering the moment of inertia will allow you greater acceleration per given torque. However, if you do go too light you will find slight issues when cruising as other resistance (rolling/drag/gravity) have the same effect of increasing your negative acceleration. I personally have never had a real issue with this. Yes you notice it slightly when going up hill and hill starts etc but nothing major. Just keep your foot in and everything is fine

Adam.Findlay
19-07-2012, 01:00 AM
from memory when i got that steel billet flywheel made ages ago the stock one was 8.5kg
when i got that billet flywheel made i specified it to be 11lbs and it made no difference to drivability just a small increase in accleration
however my current clutch, the entire flywheel and clutch assembly weighs 20 something pounds and the only reason it is easy to stall is because its so bitey.
Id go for a fiadanza one as you can change the friction surface easily instead of having to machine it.
in saying that matt (mitsi4eva) has a os giken r2cd twin plate that he may want to part with, think it needs rebuilding though.

Kenneth
19-07-2012, 02:39 AM
How did you find driving mine? Mine is about 8-9kg (complete clutch assembly) if I recall correctly.

well im still thinking about this alot,

just been doing a quick bit of searching and our stock flywheel is 18lb???!! (can anyone confirm this?)

anyway, im considering a comp clutch stage 2, (3000lb clamp, Full Face Carbon Kevlar Clutch Kit)

mated to a lightweight flywheel, possibly a fidnaza aluminum job 9.5lb
(anyone have experience with these or any other alloy jobs??)

am i better off going with a all steel flywheel??

now is there a thing as too light?? i dont want to making the car horrible to drive.

Gly
19-07-2012, 04:04 AM
not to bad actually.

looks like ill go with that combo then, will do me for now

anyone know the weight of a stock clutch cover/disc?

How did you find driving mine? Mine is about 8-9kg (complete clutch assembly) if I recall correctly.

Adam.Findlay
19-07-2012, 04:49 AM
unfortunate as i just threw out my old exedy cover and disc which i imagine would be the same if not similar to stock weight.

Gly
19-07-2012, 11:03 AM
done some reseach and the CC stage 2 kit is 17.60lb,
plus the 9.5lb of the fidanza alloy flywheel,

27.10lb = 12.29kg