PDA

View Full Version : ICE Advice

SteveH
21-07-2012, 11:06 PM
I've been given an amp, loads of cables, fuses, boxes and splitters by my brother in law. The amp is a genesis profile 4 ultra, anyone know if this is a good amp?

Anyways i'm unsure on how best to use this amp in my currant system.

At the moment i'm running:

2x component speakers with crossovers in the front direct from the headunit.
2x coaxial speakers in the rear running direct from the head unit
1x12" sub in the boot driven by an amp.

I'm not sure what the specs are on the door speakers, but i know they are Vibe. The sub is a Vibe BlackAir12 (RMS 550w, Peak 1600w). The Amp is a Sony Xplod 1100w single channel (according to a pro review its only really about 550-600w). And a Decent Alpine head unit.

Should i chuck the Sony amp and use the Genesis to run my sub? or Use the Genesis to run my four door speakers? Or is there a better way of doing it?

The specs for the Genesis look good but confuse the hell out of me, heres a wiring diagram with specs:
http://www.ebacoustic.it/prod_images/PROFILE4M.pdf

I notice that theres a 2nd amp output on the Genesis, maybe i should run the sony amp from that?

Oh, just remebered i was given a Pheonix Gold bass cube/controller aswell.

SteveH
21-07-2012, 11:41 PM
I also forgot to say he gave me a JL Audio competition spec 12" sub, but it has a small tear. Can subs be repaired?

wintertidenz
22-07-2012, 06:31 AM
I would use the Genesis for the speakers, and the Sony for the sub at a pinch - I would replace the Sony later on because those amps sometimes go POP.

Run three sets of pre-outs from the headunit, one for fronts, one for rears, then the last one for the sub. I'd probably looking at selling the bass cube, because the Alpine headunit SHOULD be able to control all of it correctly.

Subs can be repaired - I blew the foam surrounds out on my two JL Audio subs, and got new ones from Speakerworks.com then just fitted those. The kit didn't cost much at all, just verify the sub model number and revision first before you buy the surrounds.

I'd use the JL Audio sub and sell the Vibe - they are fantastic subs, and get quite punchy when they want to.

SteveH
22-07-2012, 10:14 AM
I would use the Genesis for the speakers, and the Sony for the sub at a pinch - I would replace the Sony later on because those amps sometimes go POP.

Run three sets of pre-outs from the headunit, one for fronts, one for rears, then the last one for the sub. I'd probably looking at selling the bass cube, because the Alpine headunit SHOULD be able to control all of it correctly.

Subs can be repaired - I blew the foam surrounds out on my two JL Audio subs, and got new ones from Speakerworks.com then just fitted those. The kit didn't cost much at all, just verify the sub model number and revision first before you buy the surrounds.

I'd use the JL Audio sub and sell the Vibe - they are fantastic subs, and get quite punchy when they want to.

"3 sets of pre-outs" Do you mean from the RCA connectors? As my headunit only has 1 set of RCA connectors. The headunit is an Alpine CDE-9850Ri.

CANDEE
22-07-2012, 11:00 AM
Looks like you will need to go looking for a new headunit Steve, as there are ways around not having 3 rca connectors on the headunit, but they arent ideal.

SteveH
22-07-2012, 12:31 PM
hmmm i think for the short term then i'll run the door speakers with the Genesis and use the mono amp output from genesis to the the sony amp to drive sub.