PDA

View Full Version : Sigh... Transmission

Badger_01
23-07-2012, 08:29 AM
Sigh so my transmission is leaking /wall Damn I didnt think it was gunna happen this quickly haha. I think it may be the torque converter. Yet I checked the trans dipstick just to keep an eye on the levels and it doesnt seem to be going down :huh:

eyeballprawn
23-07-2012, 11:23 AM
The seal behind the torque converter often unseats, if it fully pops out you will dump your ATF and destroy the transmission. You should aim to get it fixed soon, unfortunately while the seal is only a few dollars, the transmission needs to come out to replace it. Ensure when they put the new one in that they use a retaining compound so that it doesn't happen again.

Davezj
23-07-2012, 01:10 PM
when you say retaining compond, are you talking about using RTV sealant on the outside and back of the seal?

peter thomson
23-07-2012, 01:20 PM
I use Loctite for the seal not rtv, that would be a very bad idea

Davezj
23-07-2012, 01:22 PM
why?

peter thomson
23-07-2012, 01:36 PM
That stuff gets everywhere, would not want it to end up in an oil way or blocking a filter.

Davezj
23-07-2012, 01:47 PM
true, true, very true.
but if that is the only reason then as long as you are careful, it is sticky and oil and heat resistant.

so as long as it only get applied round the edges of the seal you should be ok with.
i am not talking about going mad an gunking everything up with it, just a smearing round the edge of a dry seal then push it in to a dry seal hole. but remember to wet the inside suface of the seal with ATF before you offer up the torque converter, as the the seal can burn if dry is mated to dry sufcae in the first few minutes of running.

well that is how i see it.
what version of loctite are you reconending peter there quite afew on the market, made by different manufactures.

peter thomson
23-07-2012, 01:57 PM
http://www.loctite.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/henkel_uke/hs.xsl/retaining-4479.htm

I have replaced at least 6 transmission oil seals and after discovering how easy it is for the seal to be removed. A proper retaining product is far better than rtv

eyeballprawn
23-07-2012, 02:34 PM
The Loctite stuff Peter linked to it the best, was it the 648 you used? But careful application of the specified ATF resistant sealant will be better than nothing. It's used to seal the covers on and case together anyway, so I can't imagine there's that much cause for concern.