PDA

View Full Version : AYC pressure testing & diagnosing

eyeballprawn
25-07-2012, 11:34 AM
I see there's a bit of info about replacing the pressure switches, but I'd like to find out how to properly test them and also pressure test the AYC pumps. So that I can diagnose whether it is the pressure switch or pump itself failing before replacing components unnecessarily.

I assume Evoscan or a even a multimeter can be used to check the latching of the switch, but how are people measuring the pressure at which it happens?

As for testing the pressure the pump puts out, could something like this transmission pressure tester be used?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Transmission-Fluid-Pressure-Tester-Manometer-Test-Kit-w-Adapters-Case-300PSI-/230817984305

EDIT: seems possible after researching more

I would be using EvoScan to activate the pump, so don't need to make up any switch box etc.

EDIT: also seems possible

Mark 4
25-07-2012, 12:21 PM
I have considered fitting a pressure tranducer in the line so that I can check it on the ICPC whenever I want. I expect someone with the knowledge could get the signal into evoscan somehow.

eyeballprawn
25-07-2012, 01:08 PM
That's an interesting idea for ongoing monitoring of your own car, however I'm thinking more along the lines of testing other people's AYCs that are having problems.

Has anyone hired or used this kit before?

http://www.erento.co.uk/hire/vehicles-boats-aircraft/car-accessories/other-car-accessories/1199065871-image-gallery.html

I see what they are doing now, unbolting the hard piping to the AYC and bolting in two gauges to there. Would two really be needed simultaneously or could one be tested (then maybe blanked) then the gauge swapped to the other output?

EDIT: looks possible with only a single gauge

It doesn't appear that the reservoir is connected in those pics, how is that going to work without fluid?

Is the big bulbous thing on the end another reservoir, or is it a pressurised accumulator.. or something totally different?

EDIT: yes, it's an accumulator